What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ponting plays with illegal bat.

ozbash

Referee
stolen from the beeb

Cricket lawmakers the MCC have ruled that the bat used by Australia's Ricky Ponting, and other cricketers sponsored by maker Kookaburra, is illegal.

The International Cricket Council (ICC) says the bat has been withdrawn with immediate effect and will not be used in upcoming international matches.

The MCC had been asked by the ICC to investigate the bat.

The bat attracted interest because the length of the blade was supported by a backing strip of graphite.

The MCC stated: "Following a thorough review of the matter, MCC has concluded that these bats do not comply with law six of the laws of cricket."

Kookaburra Readers managing director Brett Elliot said the company disagreed with the decision as they believed the carbon fibre cover was designed to be within the laws of the game.

He added that over 60% of cricket bats currently on the market have a cover similar to the Kookaburra graphite cover, but said the company would abide by the MCC's decision.

"Kookaburra is extremely disappointed by the MCC's opinion and strongly disagree that our graphite covered cricket bats do not comply with law six of the laws of cricket," said Elliot.

"Kookaburra has a proud history of manufacturing cricket equipment since 1890 and this is the first instance that a Kookaburra bat has been drawn into question.

"However, Kookaburra fully respects both the laws of cricket and the spirit of cricket and has therefore reached agreement with the ICC to voluntarily withdraw the bats from international cricket."

Kookaburra will immediately supply Ponting with a replacement bat for the tour of South Africa. Australian batsmen Justin Langer and Damien Martyn and former England international Graham Thorpe are among the other players sponsored by the company.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

disgraceful when you consider the stink thrown up over murali's bowling action.
they should hand the trophy over to sri lanka

aussies1st

Staff member
Thats just stupid. Its not like it gave them an advantage. Look how well Martyn did.

NPK

Bench
lol I saw this on the news and knew someone would jump on it.
If the authorities had a problem with it they should have acted earlier.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
the problem is between the sponsor and the MCC, now the ICC have weighed in

this is akin to reporting a player for a bad bowling action, yet continuing to let him bowl till the end of the series, and the wickets taken with an illegal action still stand, as we just saw with Botha

once again, the ICC is a farce

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
aussies1st said:
Thats just stupid. Its not like it gave them an advantage. Look how well Martyn did.

he needs a wider bat not a stronger bat

NPK

Bench
Jayasuriya and Astle also use the bat but the Aussie haters will only point out the Aussies.

NPK said:
Jayasuriya and Astle also use the bat but the Aussie haters will only point out the Aussies.

astle's bat must be malfunctioning as it hasn't helped him.

p.s. justin langer and damien martyn also used the bat for the aussie butt kissers

Balmain_Boy

STEVE R said:
Yeah good one d!ckhead.

The ICC alowed the bat to be used, pending investigation.

The ICC have also deemed Murali's action legal. I hope I never see you whinging about it.

The only people that use this bat in world cricktet as far as I know are:

Ponting
Jayasuria
Astle
De Villiers
Hussey
Brett Lee

Martyn and Langer use Kookaburras, but they do not have the Graphite re-inforced backing on the bats. I don't see how it could be advantages in any way.

I actually own one of these bats myself. There is no advantage at all in using it. I still hit the ball just as far and hard with my GM hero that is pretty much the same size as this bat. I wonder if you can still use them in club cricket.

At the end of the day, Every bat is the same width and has an edge on it. you have the same chance of getting out with any bat you use

SirShire

First Grade
What about Kumar Sangakarra ozbash? Or didn't you see him back long enough to notice he was using a Kookaburra too?

Big_Bad_Shark_Fan

First Grade
interesting point by W.M ......
I wonder if you get a proper umpire from NSWDCA , or NSWCA if they will step in and say you cant use it...dont think they will not even in Sydney Grade.

ozbash

Referee
STEVE R said:
Yeah good one d!ckhead.

The ICC alowed the bat to be used, pending investigation.

:lol: great stuff, one born every minute.

btw einstien, theres 2 l,s in allowed :lol:

Iafeta

Referee
El Diablo said:
it's Einstein

Its Iafeta to you, thank you very much ;-)

SirShire, is Kumar's graphite supported - Kookaburra do make non graphite supported bats also.

Thomas

First Grade
:lol: Nothing funnier than seeing someone spell a word wrong when they are pointing out someone else's spelling!!!

NPK

Bench
ozbash said:
:lol: great stuff, one born every minute.

btw einstien, theres 2 l,s in allowed :lol:
Also, there's an apostrophe in there's and no comma in ls.

Tom Shines

First Grade
Ponting's bat is illegal, yet Zimbabwe can play with guys who wouldn't make first grade in club cricket.
Give me strength.

Iafeta said:
Its Iafeta to you, thank you very much ;-)

SirShire, is Kumar's graphite supported - Kookaburra do make non graphite supported bats also.

Sangas is the same as Mike Hussey's so yes it has graphite on the back. Im not sure why Ozbash thinks we should hand the trophy to sri lanka seeing as their best 2 batsmen use the supposed illegal bats too.