What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Perth people don't even know about north Sydney Bears any more than swans fans know about south Melbourne. Gives the team a headstart with away support which has been a weakness for the titans & yes even the cowboys.
They'll know about it when the club takes home games to North Sydney Oval and the Sydney media talk endlessly about the "North Sydney Bears".

You don't think all of the hysteria about the North Sydney Bears is being reported by the Perth press?

Pippen94

First Grade
The NRL is set to receive a tax-free government deal that will see Papua New Guinea admitted in 2028 and the code’s top stars pocket extra millions by playing in the Pacific.

The landmark development comes amid revelations the NRL could have 20 teams by 2030 under the ARL Commission’s expansion masterplan.

This masthead can reveal the PNG and Australian governments are in talks to broker a historic deal that will offer the NRL’s elite tax-free ‘danger money’ by moving to Port Moresby.

The NRL’s No. 1 player, Nathan Cleary, is currently on $1.3 million-a-season at Penrith.

Under a tax-exempt PNG contract, Cleary would theoretically save $581,628 on the tax he currently pays every year in Australia.

It means a superstar player, such as Cleary or Broncos ace Reece Walsh, could pocket an extra $5.8 million over a 10-year period – all tax-free – by playing NRL in PNG.

That is the extraordinary financial sweetener beckoning for NRL stars who are prepared to back rugby league’s offshore expansion plan for PNG to become the code’s 19th team. It can also be revealed:

• The Australian government has reached an in-principle agreement with the NRL on $600 million in funding for the proposed PNG team;
  • The 10-year deal, which will see a PNG team specifically given $29 million annually for a decade, will be formally announced in August;
  • The Perth Bears are slated to be the NRL’s 18th team in 2027 with PNG to follow 12 months later;
  • The NRL could have 20 teams as early as 2030, which would provide an extra two games per week for the code’s next TV rights deal; and
  • Billionaire Roosters chairman Nick Politis, who last year led a formal push for a 20-team NRL, called for the return of the Bears.
“It would be great to see North Sydney back again,” Politis said.

“I have been pushing for this because Perth and the Bears would be a great combination.

“It will be a Western Australian team, we must remember that, but the Bears can play an important part and revive their brand which would be fantastic.”

The NRL called for expressions of interest a fortnight ago, with ARL Commission boss Peter V’landys in the advanced stage of negotiations with Australian prime minister Anthony Albanese.

As an adjunct to their high-powered talks, the PNG and Australian governments have discussed tax benefits to underpin the ‘soft-diplomacy’ birth of the NRL’s 19th team in the Pacific.

The PNG cabinet has yet to approve the measure but it is expected to receive support from their government. The tax-free incentive idea first surfaced in February, but talks ramped up during a meeting on the eve of State of Origin III in Queensland last Wednesday night.

There are fears a PNG team would be a public-relations disaster for the code – especially if Australian-based players baulked at living in a proposed NRL compound to be built in Port Moresby.

But major tax concessions from the PNG government are a massive financial carrot that represent a game-changer for the NRL’s expansion masterplan.

The PNG side will still operate under the NRL’s salary cap. This year’s NRL payment ceiling for each club is a total gross amount of $12.3 million for a 30-man roster.

By offering tax-free deals, a PNG team would effectively be $5.7 million better off – per season – compared to Australian and New Zealand teams.

While rival clubs will consider the tax relief an unfair playing field, the NRL does not control tax regulations, with New Zealand already offering Warriors players a better tax-rate compared to Australia.

During Magic Round in May, V’landys said NRL stars would jump at the chance to earn tax-free dollars in PNG.

“A lot of my staff at NSW Racing get headhunted to go to Hong Kong and there’s only one reason – because they only pay 15 per cent tax over there,” he said.

“They are able to save up a fair bit of money.

“The players won’t live there forever, and they could earn double or three times what they would have earned if they lived in Australia.

“You want people to go to PNG with the necessary skills to be able to deliver what we want to deliver (an NRL team).”

NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo met club bosses on Tuesday where he gave them an update on expansion as part of the march towards 20 teams.

It is understood Abdo told the clubs that head office is putting together a business case on expansion and no decision would be made until it was completed.

The clubs have made clear in talks with the NRL that they expect to walk away from fresh expansion with significantly more money in their own pockets.

The Australian government’s funding package will duly reward the existing 17 clubs.

Of the $600m deal, $290 million will go to the PNG team over 10 years.

A further $250m will be allocated to pathway development and social-welfare programs in PNG, leaving between $50-60 million to be paid as a licence fee, which will be shared by the NRL clubs.

Up to 11 consortia have expressed interest in expansion, but the Perth Bears, PNG and a second New Zealand team are the frontrunners to complete a 20-team NRL.

There were plans for a 20th team in 2032, the year of the Brisbane Olympics, but three new NRL licences could be issued by 2030.

“We had 20 teams in 1995 before Super League, it can work,” Politis said.

“We need to become a national sport to compete with the AFL and if we want to do that, we need to plug the holes and become a truly national competition.

“It will help us with content and media deals.

“It’s very important we keep growing our revenue base and one way of doing it is to increase the content and we can only do that by expanding the game.

“With three more teams you have to spread out the time period.

“If the next two teams come in by 2027-28, then it makes sense having 20 teams in 2030 for the next broadcast deal.”

Wild wild stuff!

Agreement in principle which doesn't confirm it ..but it's likely to happen. Team 20 still up for grabs; Fiji, south island, east tigers..who knows who else will emerge?!
V'landys and Politis have hijacked the expansion process to bring back a failed Sydney club. It's corruption at its worst.

If it all goes ahead then it'll be a disaster. V'landys will walk away with a nice pay cheque when the shit hits the fan.

Iamback

Coach
A big concern for me is the journalists, particularly those on NRL360, who scrutinise every fart from clubs and players and noone is safe from their claws.
They will go looking for any trouble on and off the field and if there's two dogs fighting outside the arena and causes even a small push and shove they will be all over it and question PNG's involvement.
If there's strife in Australia we have the infrastructure to deal with it. Have PNG?
I seriously hope they have. I'm sure Abdo and co have had their feelers out for years now and have been asking the big questions...the 'what ifs'
I guess I've been burnt up there too often, not literally ha ha, and I just don't know how it's going to unfold and how the journalists, the NRL, the forums/social media and supporters are going to handle teething problems.

The clubs would if they haven't.

Yes they are getting $600m from the govt

The NRL are paying out the grant. Which is $150-200m depending on the salary cap rise

Not to mention 2 TV deals and other revenue streams that take a hit in that time should PNG fall over or not be successful.

So I get the concerns about it but the game needs to expand but it doesn't need PNG.

So I trust the checks and balances has been done.

Nutz

Bench

The NRL are paying out the grant. Which is $150-200m depending on the salary cap rise

Not to mention 2 TV deals and other revenue streams that take a hit in that time should PNG fall over or not be successful.

So I get the concerns about it but the game needs to expand but it doesn't need PNG.

I'm getting a headache. You guys are too edumacated for me.
I'm going back to the Dung Beetle thread.

Pippen94

First Grade
V'landys and Politis have hijacked the expansion process to bring back a failed Sydney club. It's corruption at its worst.

If it all goes ahead then it'll be a disaster. V'landys will walk away with a nice pay cheque when the shit hits the fan.

Dolphins were a failed Brisbane team by that logic. Only great Dane trolling would say that's been a disaster..

Pippen94

First Grade

How many incidents have occured with PNG hunters in Qld cup?!

Pippen94

First Grade
Failed Brisbane teams are ok for @Get Rid of The Donkeys

heck he wants the nrl to add another

I'd have ipswich jets/tigers merger based out of South of Brisbane. Don't know how NRL gets there now but area deserves team.

There seems to be a push to have competition become more national & international at same time. Team 21 could be Fiji to totally dominate Oceania. While there's one capital in Australia without an NRL team.

Last edited:
I'd have ipswich jets/tigers merger based out of South of Brisbane. Don't know how NRL gets there now but area deserves team.

There seems to be a push to have competition become more national & international at same time. Team 21 could be Fiji to totally dominate Oceania. While there's one capital in Australia without an NRL team.
You're wasting your time with WB1234. He lives in a fantasy world and ignores any truth that doesn't suit his fairytale vision of the NSWRL.

Jamberoo

Juniors
I love PVL‘s maths- ‘Players will be two to three times better off’ (due to no tax).

The average player on $400k - $500k will earn about 60% more. The top tax rate is 45% so no one is two times better off let along three.

Nice little earner though and will definitely help build the roster,

I love PVL‘s maths- ‘Players will be two to three times better off’ (due to no tax).

The average player on $400k - $500k will earn about 60% more. The top tax rate is 45% so no one is two times better off let along three.

V'landys is a charlatan who says the sort of things that myopic NSWRL fans want to hear. They couldn't care less if he's right or wrong. As long as he pushes their agenda they will worship him as a deity.

Perth Red

Post Whore
5 months ago PNG was locked in club 18 playing out of cairns in 2026 according the the media.
All still speculation until something gets announced.

Perth Red

Post Whore

It’s not even that, it’s only 45% on the amount over $180k

so a player on $600k would be paying around $250k tax. In reality considerably less if they have a good accountant.
Vlandys isn’t good at maths lol

I’m guessing they will be registered for tax in png, I can’t see a govt in Australia making a select few very well paid people tax exempt, can you imagine the uproar?

Santino Patane

Juniors
A change of topic for a moment- it looks like the next 2 teams are going to be PNG & Perth Bears in no certain order, right (forget about what you think it should be)?

Where does everyone thing Team Colours are gonna land? From how it looks to me Teams 17-19 a could all have the same colour palette of Black, Red and Yellow.

Even though there’s a lot of clash in the comp (blue), the Dolphins did try to do something about making their colours a little different with the “sand yellow”- how do the next two getting in create some variation in colours??