What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Poor Timana

Nuffy

Bench
Poor thing, seems as though he thinks that the Knights have to match the other offers, if they don't, its their fault that he will leave.

I don't think I've ever seen a bloke more in love with money, most players are staying at their clubs through loyalty, or moving to clubs to further rep ambitions or win premierships.

And some are hell bent on chasing the almighty dollar.

Read for yourself.

Knights may lose Tahu
July 4, 2004

TEST winger Timana Tahu admitted today he was leaning towards leaving Newcastle at the end of the NRL season.

Tahu, one of the hottest players on the open market, has received offers from several clubs including Parramatta and Manly.

He also has an offer on the table from the Knights but is understood to be ready to follow teammate Ben Kennedy out of the club next season.

Kennedy will play with Manly in 2005.

"It's up to the Knights if they want to keep me or not," Tahu told ABC Radio.

"I think it's turning towards me leaving the Knights at the moment.

"I want to know by the end of the week. If I do have to go I have got no problem."

Tahu's decision is likely to have implications for several other players on the market.

If he elects to join Manly, the Sea Eagles are likely to drop off Canberra's Joel Monaghan, who is considering leaving the nation's capital.

If Tahu stays in Newcastle, Manly will up the ante in their quest to sign Monaghan, who has also been linked with the Sydney Roosters.

The Roosters, who have released Queensland pair Shannon Hegarty and Justin Hodges for next season, have also been mentioned in despatches with Penrith's Amos Roberts.

And some are hell bent on chasing the almighty dollar.

Read for yourself.

~bedsy~

First Grade
It's not Newcastle's fault that they can't afford any more than that.
I'm dissapointed at the lack of loyalty players have today.

Johns Magic

Referee
:lol:

D*ckhead. He can go for all I care. If he does, we're just going to find another Craig Hall or George Carmont to come up from the real NRL, as we always do. Maybe it's time for a Tighe or Salkeld promotion? And then you have Henderson and Brown.

2005 outside backline:

1. Seage
2. Hall
3. Gidley
4. Hughes
5. Quinn

Reserves:

Carmont, Henderson, Brown, Salkeld.

You won't be that sorely missed Timana

Nuffy

Bench
The frustrating thing is that there are plenty of players showing loyalty, i.e

Tate, Tallis, Ryles, etc.

But we just don't seem to have many at the Knights.

What ever happened to the club spirit we hear so much about

~bedsy~

First Grade
I hate Tallis on the feild, however I now actually have some respect for the guy.

Matt23

Staff member
Nah Tallis is quite a nice guy off the field which cannot be said of a lot of players...

Risa

Bench
It'll be interesting to see how Tahu goes without Gidley giving him quality ball.

IanG

Coach
Yeah well I'm starting to wonder with players jumping club cuz of salary cap restrictions is killing off club loyalty. Club loyalty was all well and good for the old timers when they earned their living away from footy but in this day in age the players are expected to put all their time and effort into their footy and they have to treat it like a business senareo.

Simple as that!

Nuffy

Bench
He is gone, read this:

Dumped NSW Origin winger Timana Tahu has given the best indication yet that he intends to leave Newcastle at the end of the season by revealing that he and partner Kasey were planning to go house hunting in Sydney today.

Tahu, who was a controversial omission from the Blues side for Wednesday night's series decider at Telstra Stadium, met Manly and Parramatta officials last week and will look at real estate in each area in coming to a decision.

The 23-year-old international and father of three is negotiating a four-year deal with both clubs and has set tomorrow as a deadline to settle his future.

"At the moment it is not looking good with the Knights," Tahu said after yesterday's 34-26 loss to Cronulla, which he missed with an ankle injury. "The hardest thing is that clubs struggle with the salary cap.

"I want to stay in Newcastle and extend my football career here. All my mates are here and I grew up in Newcastle. [But] my family comes first. If my wife likes it in Sydney, which she does, we will move down there.

Advertisement
Advertisement
"I've got training early in the morning and I'll probably go down to Sydney after that and have a look around some suburbs. I've got to see if my girl feels comfortable living around Manly or Parramatta. We will have a look at some real estate and go from there."

The Sea Eagles are hoping that the signing of Knights forward Ben Kennedy and Tahu's relationship with coach Des Hasler from his two years as an assistant to Phil Gould at the Blues will work in their favour. But Tahu said he had also played under Eels coach Brian Smith when he had charge of Country Origin and was friends with hooker John Morris from his days at Newcastle.

"It is going to be a tough decision to make, it is going to be what suits my family," he said.

miladi

Juniors
When RL became a fully professional sport, with the players being paid big amounts of money and not having to hold down outside jobs, loyalty became a fantasy. The players are employees, being loyal to themselves and their families. The same way each and everyone one of us put our families welfare and our own future security first. In the case of football players, they have a limited playing time (unlike an office worker, they can't stay on the field til they are 55 or 60). They have to get what they can when they can. Loyalty is sometimes a factor, in that they will stay with a club if they can, but most will go where they feel they can secure their future.

There is nothing wrong with this. It is called business and reality.

Nuffy

Bench
I don't agree that loyalty has gone because of the era of professional footballers, however it does seem to have disappeared at Newcastle.

There has been numerous examples of players staying at their clubs for less, some have even said that theyfelt they owed the club something for looking after them during injury layoffs. Some surprise surprise have taken pay CUTS.

BUT, did BK say that, has Tahu said that, or for that matter did Doogs?

Loyalty does exist, just not at Newcastle.

antonius

Coach
Oh well what will be will be. I'm over all this mid season signing crap, how distracting is it from the football, lord only knows how distracting it is from the players point of view. I think it's time the deadline was set until after the season is over. Footnote, if Tahu leaves no doubt another winger will emerge to take his place, they usually do. Lets face it the amount of time he actually plays is getting less and less every year. Saying that good luck to him whatever he decides to do.

Missa

Juniors
oh well that more or less wraps it up...he will be leaving...im very disappointed....i hope he goes to parra not manly though.....but of course id rather he stay here with us.....if he goes which it looks like....who will we go after??anyone?? :( :x :cry: :evil: :twisted:

Nuffy

Bench
"Lets face it the amount of time he actually plays is getting less and less every year."

Yes thats a point not lost on me, what 14 games last year and only 8 of 17 this year, for a 23 year old hes a bit of a crock.

I guess my frustration is that some clubs are keeping their teams together and strengthening them, every year we lose at least one topliner, you look at the quality of the top teams and its across the park, we have about 6 or 7 and then it falls away.

Every time one of our young players succeeds we have to lose players to keep them or they chase big money and leave. other clubs seem to keep players for less money because of club culture or loyalty, shit some even take pay cuts to stay at their clubs, we don't seem to engender that in our players and it frustrates the hell out of me.

northey

First Grade
don't believe everything you read

i am not saying he won't go i am just saying that the papers had joey gone and he was as good as gone up unitl the day before he announced his descison.

Nuffy

Bench
I agree Northey and I was one who thought Joey was loong gone however I just am frustrated that all this has to be played out.

I am envious of other clubs who have players taking paycuts to keep their team together and players coming out and saying i'll stay for less than I can get elsewhere or i owe the club because they looked after me during an injury layoff.

Where are those statements from Newcastle players, why aren't we engendering the same club spirit and loyalty.

Voice of Reason

Juniors
Just heard on 2ue that Tahu told one of their sports reporters today that he was "coming to Sydney to do some house-hunting today". This is either a blatant declaration that he is leaving the Knights Or it a Gee-up.

miladi

Juniors
What about the management side of things. Are they acting in a manner which engenders loyalty from their players?

What about fans? I was always told that Newcastle had the most loyal and devoted following of any football team (regardless of code) in Australia.

And yet this year the loyalty level of the fans has been less than impressive. It has seemed that as soon as the team has suffered a loss, or a key player an injury, the first posts were very very negative. Sure we can be upset at losing, and complain about the poor performance (although sometimes I think we should be applauding the superior performance of the opposition), but the amount of ugly bagging that has gone on here has been incredible. I couldn't believe some of the things I have read.

The road runs two ways, and we have to remember that.

Nuffy

Bench
Miladi

I agre with your point about loyalty runnign both ways, but I also see bumper crowds and strong support in spite of the problems.

But you have to remember the equation is different between fans and players................. coachs, players and club staff are payed to be involved with the team...............supporters PAY for their involvement.

Thats the difference and explains why we expect more loyalty out of players towards the club because we have already shown ours.

Latest posts