What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Poore having a shocker

Stagger eel

Staff member
think of it this way, if we didn't pay $350k for Poore, thus he didn't come, who would be our 2nd prop off the bench?

We would probably been up the creek now.

I reckon $50-70k of his money is the premium we had to pay to entice him here.

So I would say he is a $280k prop.

from memory and going by rumours around the traps, the second choice front rower was Matt Scott...had we missed out on Poore.

JessEel

Accredited Media Releases
I'm so pleased that this thread wasn't a bash-Poore-athon... he's working alot harder then people are giving him credit for, and as Strider said, it's usually the uneducated footy fans that are bagging him.

Highly embarassing, but Hellsy and my Dad actually went over and had a chat to Jussy after the game last night, and Dad said he was friendly and eager to chat, and said something like 'feeling great, starting to get to form, really happy with the team and the win'
They are (for me) words of someone who:

a) knew he started slow
b) is comfortable with the club
c) eager to stay at the club and get amongst a team he thinks is going places.

LOVE LOVE JUSTIN POORE!!

WaznTheGreat

Referee
I give him credit for being tough,even when he gets absolutely smashed in a big tackle he is still ready and eager to take the ball up even harder the next time run into the same people who smashed him.

Last season when playing for the Dragons against the Broncos in the finals he was getting absolutely belted all game by the Broncos forwards but was still willing to take it up the guts even harder the next run.

TheRam

Coach
Everybody sees things differently..and that's the way it should be. One man's trash is another man's treasure.
Whether he is getting $500,000, $50000 or $500 is his business and should not influence the way we look at his effort. I like the player. I think he is a good addition to the Club - which has been screaming out for a good solid prop for years...
I, personally, prefer him to Willie Mason, Carl Webb, Ben Cross or Keith Galloway that's for sure...BUT that's just me....

Don't agree at all and of course it will influence the way someone is judged. :crazy:

So would most people in light of the dead beat or injury prone list that you have selected.

On Poore, his performance in attack was average, with an average of 6.2 meters per hitup. Not really earning his keep on those numbers. I know he went better in defense, but that was the type of track that the game was suited to, being heavy and wet.

But in saying that, I expect and hope he gets better as the season progresses to warrant his massive price tag.

TheRam

Coach
think of it this way, if we didn't pay $350k for Poore, thus he didn't come, who would be our 2nd prop off the bench?

Joe Galuvao for probably half the price & also kept Kevin Kingston. Remember we made the grand final with these blokes. Galuvao is playing every bit as well Poore. Ah hindsight. But I will say this though, I am still glad that we bought Poore, time will tell though if I stay that way at the backend of the season.

caylo

Bench
Don't agree at all and of course it will influence the way someone is judged. :crazy:

So would most people in light of the dead beat or injury prone list that you have selected.

On Poore, his performance in attack was average, with an average of 6.2 meters per hitup. Not really earning his keep on those numbers. I know he went better in defense, but that was the type of track that the game was suited to, being heavy and wet.

But in saying that, I expect and hope he gets better as the season progresses to warrant his massive price tag.

Its not his fault completly, the track is very heavy and its difficult to pick up speed quickly (effected Moimoi aswell). A good example was Humble looked like he was running in slow-mo, very difficult to get to top speed for any player due to the playing surface.

Poore also found the ball 2-3 times early on flat footed, not being his fault because usally it was after scrappy play. When he started to get good ball he ran very hard and was impressive against "best pack" in the comp. Only kite ran over 100 meters (including King (ran 190meters last week), Perry (aussie prop), Watmough and Stewart) for manly and Poore (98m), Cayless(150), Fui (108m) and Mannah (108) gave us a good platform through the middle with hindy.

Irrespective of what other say, I think we have the most complete pack of anyone in the NRL. We have good go-forward from a 4 props plus the all have the ability to ball play before and after the line. We have 2 very good defencive/offensive wide running backrower and the best backrow who plays in the middle third.

oldmancraigy

Coach

It's probably ALSO worth noting that Poore isn't actually getting paid $350k per season.

The 'reported' deal was close to $1million over 3 seasons - if it's over a million, the deal will be reported as OVER, if it's under, CLOSE TO.

Don't forget that $1million is a nice round number, which makes for a good headline. Close enough is easily rounded up for the papers...

Apparently it's an "increasing" type deal which starts between $270-300k this season, and increases by $20k per year.

So it's entirely possible he IS a $280k prop this season!

(I'm guessing 290/310/330)

oldmancraigy

Coach

Frankly, during the time Poore was on the paddock, his meterage was more than ample.

Don't forget it paints a simple average - twice he got nailed on the advantage line (and I mean nailed) and made 0 meters (or lost some). But he didn't give up, and carted the ball forward 15 times.
Only 3 other players hit it up more than him yesterday.

On a wet muddy track, what does one want ones props to do?
For me, I want them getting back quickly after the kick, taking it up and gaining some ground, and NOT dropping the ball.
Full marks to our boys last night - not one of them dropped the ball - and it's really hard to fault Poore just because he got smashed twice? That doesn't constitute a shocker. The fact that he kept going in a rough patch shows exactly the opposite.

The other thing to remember with Poore is the defence around the ruck.
There's a bunch of guys in the NRL who can make meters, but who get found out badly by agile dummy halves. Poore is very strong defensively (I say this even though he stone cold missed Jamie Lyon last night to gift Manly a try). He is big, but agile, doesn't miss a lot of tackles, and 'plugs the gaps' nicely.

And don't worry about waiting for Poore to 'get better' later in the season. All that will happen is that the overall numbers will reflect what's been happening a few weeks now.
His last 5 games: 96, 115, 85, 132, 106 --> that's 107 meters per contest the last 5 games.

I know you mentioned keeping Gulavao, and I love smoking Joe, but 48 meters per contest doesn't at all compare with 107 from a genuine sized prop who is also very good around the ruck in defence.

In about 3-4 weeks the media will start to realize that Poore doesn't "suck" and that he's been playing good footy for quite a while. There'll be a ridiculous article about how he's "finally settled in" - even though it looks quite apparent that he's already settled in and is banging out the meters for the Eels on a consistent basis.

Oh - anyone surprised that we've won 4 from the last 5 when Poore has been making monstrous meters?

Not me.

TheRam

Coach
I am not having a go at Poore here, I just feel that he has been solid to average in the past 5 weeks.

Gulavao generally has half the mins that Poore has thus reflecting the total meters each ends up with.

Oh and please, I hope that the question, "Poore has been making monstrous meters?", was tongue in cheek. I would hardly classify a 107 average as monstrous.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I think Poore has improved since those first few games, I can see him get better under Anderson.

Pazza

First Grade

did you watch the game?

Poore got the ball from some very hairy passing from his team mates on the occasions he got smashed.

natheel

Coach
ALL the forwards need to pick up this week against the sharks without hayne to give humble kk and morts room to move, hopefully poore rips in and sticks it to these negative fans

TheRam

Coach
did you watch the game?

Poore got the ball from some very hairy passing from his team mates on the occasions he got smashed.

Oh pah-leeese!!! Like he is the only bloke who gets bad ball in our team.

Hurriflatch

Referee
Poore is getting better each week and yes there was one standout occasion when Mortimer gave him a total hospital pass.

But, he is still no where near the level he should be playing at.

TheRam

Coach
lol but Poore is the only one that get bagged for it!!!!

:lol: Oh bullocks. Every player gets a bagging here if they are not playing at the level that is expected of them...and that includes "The Chosen One".

Brenno75

Juniors
I just watched the game last night (big pond). I didn't think poore had at a bad game at all. Did he even make any errors? Wow he got hit hard once, and fell over once. I thought him, horo and mannah played great for us off the bench. So all you haters out there stop Hating lol.

oldmancraigy

Coach
I am not having a go at Poore here, I just feel that he has been solid to average in the past 5 weeks.

Gulavao generally has half the mins that Poore has thus reflecting the total meters each ends up with.

Oh and please, I hope that the question, "Poore has been making monstrous meters?", was tongue in cheek. I would hardly classify a 107 average as monstrous.

No offense intended here Ram - but what are you on?

Classify 'monstrous meters' in your understanding?

Because in the last 5 games (where Poore has averaged 107 meters), he has played just shy of 40 minutes per contest.

There's only 17 front rowers in the whole comp making more than 107 meters per game - and only 5 of them play under 50 minutes per contest, of those 5, none play less than 46 minutes per game. (ie - Poore's last 5 games make him look pretty good)

107 meters per game in just 40 minutes is monstrous.

I know you hate Poore, but deal with it. He's been playing well the last 5, and (surprise surprise) we won 4 of them.

The guy has only made 3 mistakes all season (2 in his shocker against the Tigers).

I realise that Poore is not Moi Moi, but he's the perfect foil for that sort of player; a guy who non-stop carts the ball forward and doesn't leave the work to the outside backs.

strider

Post Whore
while "monsterous" might be a bit of an exaggeration (hehe), I am totally happy with what Poore is giving us .... yes we paid overs, yes he is not doing what the highest paid props in the NRL are doing - but he's a very good defender for a prop and he's doing exactly what we needed in the last month or so and I have absolutely no problem that we paid what we did for him .... without him we'd probably have an undersized bench getting run over week after week

Gronk

Staff member
No offense intended here Ram - but what are you on?

Classify 'monstrous meters' in your understanding?

Because in the last 5 games (where Poore has averaged 107 meters), he has played just shy of 40 minutes per contest.

There's only 17 front rowers in the whole comp making more than 107 meters per game - and only 5 of them play under 50 minutes per contest, of those 5, none play less than 46 minutes per game. (ie - Poore's last 5 games make him look pretty good)

107 meters per game in just 40 minutes is monstrous.

I know you hate Poore, but deal with it. He's been playing well the last 5, and (surprise surprise) we won 4 of them.

The guy has only made 3 mistakes all season (2 in his shocker against the Tigers).

I realise that Poore is not Moi Moi, but he's the perfect foil for that sort of player; a guy who non-stop carts the ball forward and doesn't leave the work to the outside backs.

Respect. Gee you know your stuff OMC. :clap: