What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Positive ONLY thread

Spazer

Juniors
^He certainly has been a surprise at hooker. I've enjoyed his games at dummy half and I love how he darts out and attracts the markers before passing. His defence for a small kid is very good and he definitely seems like a quick learner. I think hook will experiment with him during the preseason and as you say will likely play him off the bench for macca.

The mbye signing probably happened before bud hit form, I just hope hook sees the value in bud rather than playing the exp of mbye.

Wolfgang90

Juniors
^He certainly has been a surprise at hooker. I've enjoyed his games at dummy half and I love how he darts out and attracts the markers before passing. His defence for a small kid is very good and he definitely seems like a quick learner. I think hook will experiment with him during the preseason and as you say will likely play him off the bench for macca.

The mbye signing probably happened before bud hit form, I just hope hook sees the value in bud rather than playing the exp of mbye.

Agreed mate. Mbye is good for depth but just don't see him fitting into the 17. Ideally would want Macca gone & have Mbye start then bring in Bud off the bench. A few teams could do with Macca i.e. bulldogs/broncos/cowboys/titans etc.

The big advantage of Macca is he brings experience into a young spine, apart from Bhunt. Amone/Sloan are still rookies but I think Mbye has enough experience to cover Macca's departure. Imo we should be looking to off-load Macca now that we have Mbye & Sullivan showing promising signs.

IMO Bud has been fantastic at hooker. He provides an attacking threat to the opposition markers/ruck, this adds some variation in our attack rather than one out running by our forwards or predictable sideways long passes. He's shown a good kicking game from dummy half & has crisp passes. His defence is also good for a small player, never goes backwards & looks like he enjoys the contact, he has good tackling technique.

It took me by surprise but I think hooker will be his position next year, he could be dynamic in that role. Great running ability, excellent passing & great kicking game. I really hope Hook develops him in a dummy half role throughout the off-season. Let Macca start & take up the initially physical stuff, make a ton of tackles etc then bring on Bud around the 20th min mark to cause havoc with the opposition tiring defence. Continue playing Bud for 20-30mins in the 2nd half either at the start or the end, it doesn't really matter. I think I'm most excited about his potential at hooker.

I say hooker for Bud because he won't get a spot in the halves due to Ben Hunt being our halfback & I think Amone has shown great potential at 5/8th. I also think playing at hooker will be good for his long term development when hunt eventually retries/leaves the dragons then Bud can move into the halves or if he excels at hooker he can replace McCullough.

It makes the Mbye signing look pretty dumb. Both will be competing for a bench utility spot & I hope Bud gets it rather than Mbye as it's better for the dragons long term future.

Sounds like a good solution there. Agree on Mbye (biting my tongue - "positive thread"!) but slotting them like

9 - Bud
7 - Hunt
6 - Amone
1 - Sloan

That's got the makings of something. If that's what they end up doing - just gotta stick to it. A season has been wasted in junior development - and across the board not just the dragons. The future starts now. And that is a spine that has the best shot at a long term future.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade

By hit form you mean been given a good run.

Dragon David

First Grade
By hit form you mean been given a good run.
I thought that the likes of Bud Sullivan, Junior Amone and Tyrell Sloan were already earmarked to be playing first grade. The coaching staff and development staff must have been able to judge how each player's potential would be for first grade. With more time together on the paddock, they will excel as combinations in the spine. Mbye will be in the starting lineup for sure. Hook has signed him and will use him where he sees fit.

Latest posts