What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Positives from Friday Night

Bigfella

Coach
1. I am positive our players are not fit enough. The sight of John Morris feigning injury about 20 minutes in thes econd half on a kick return because there were no players around him to carry the ball forward was the low point of the game (which was still in the balance).

2. I am positive that the much heralded depth in our squad is irrelevant as the players in the lower grades appear to be equally not up to the pace of the game. Cordoba and Taia were ineffective. Williams and Hayne had very little involvement, although both did smart smart work.

3. I am positive that Tim Smith must play first grade (unless he is rested for personal reasons). Friday night was the low point of the season in terms of creative opportunities. Errors may have been down but we seemed absolutely option-less at any point on the field.

4. We are positively struggling from dummy half. IMO John Morris has shown the best form at hooker this season in the two games he played there (Tigers and Manly, which were also our two best team performances). PJ's service is slow and doesn;t assist the forwards to get over the advantage line. Running is his biggest asset as a dummy half, and IMP best served when he comes off the bench. I can hardly recall him running once on Friday night.

5. The Delaney v Ben Smith argument which arose early in the season has been positively decided. Hope BS is back soon. Delaney is a great kicker but lacks any penetration. Errors now starting to creep in.

6. Morro is positively not a great captain. Too emotional a player. Gave away penalties at important times. A wholehearted effort from him as always, but his leadership strategy became to complain about refereeing decisions in the second half which crept in to other players.

7. I am positive that this is the worst season of all in recent memory; maybe since 1987.

I hope someone can be more positive than me...

Rookie

Juniors
I agree Cordoba wasnt that effective on Firday but previous games have had me excited about his future. WIlliams and Hayne looked good too given limited opportunities.

On creativity, we scored above our seasons average amount of tries.

Agree, John morris has been the stand out hooker.

Agree, Ben Smith by far more exciting than Delaney. Better in attack and defence where as Delaney could only be condiered SOLID in both.

Agree we need Caylo or Hindy back as captain.

I am positive the players have the talent and desire. They seemd to be trying hard but timing, options and poor handling seem to be killing us.

As soon as we get a couple of good, positive wins, I am sure we'll get a roll on and be a force.

I am concerned though that we'll be last season's Knights, you know, the team killing everyone but never a chance to make the semis.

James_Hardie

Juniors
Bigfella said:
7. I am positive that this is the worst season of all in recent memory; maybe since 1987.

87, the year after a successful one. A year when we bought bugger all players. The start of an era where coaching uncertainty was rife and our club and supporters said that our juniors would save us, and it never happened. It all sounds too familiar doesn't it.

Now, as I heard Matthew Johns say on Sunday, He asked a Parramatta person, "how can you let Glenn Morrison go? and they replied, it's ok we have tons of good juniors coming through". And as he continued to say the gap between reserve grade and first grade is growing, you can't just expect them to be able to take over.

If something doesn't chage quick we will out of finals contention not just this year, but for the next 5 years!

Eelementary

Post Whore
Bigfella said:
6. Morro is positively not a great captain. Too emotional a player. Gave away penalties at important times. A wholehearted effort from him as always, but his leadership strategy became to complain about refereeing decisions in the second half which crept in to other players.

But according to some, Cayless is not emotional enough...Go figure!

lucablight

First Grade
2. I am positive that the much heralded depth in our squad is irrelevant as the players in the lower grades appear to be equally not up to the pace of the game. Cordoba and Taia were ineffective. Williams and Hayne had very little involvement, although both did smart smart work.

They do seem to struggle with the pace of the game but they have performed in other games before. The jury is still out I suppose.

3. I am positive that Tim Smith must play first grade (unless he is rested for personal reasons). Friday night was the low point of the season in terms of creative opportunities. Errors may have been down but we seemed absolutely option-less at any point on the field.

I agree. Even though he's out of form at least he has the potential to create something.

4. We are positively struggling from dummy half. IMO John Morris has shown the best form at hooker this season in the two games he played there (Tigers and Manly, which were also our two best team performances). PJ's service is slow and doesn;t assist the forwards to get over the advantage line. Running is his biggest asset as a dummy half, and IMP best served when he comes off the bench. I can hardly recall him running once on Friday night.

I actually thought he was making some good ground at the start.

5. The Delaney v Ben Smith argument which arose early in the season has been positively decided. Hope BS is back soon. Delaney is a great kicker but lacks any penetration. Errors now starting to creep in.

I can't believe how overhyped he was.

What can you expect? We're having a terrible season and everyone was tired and we were losing so it's natural for frustration to creep in. This wasn't helped by Clark treating him like a school kid. I thought he did fine.

Stagger eel

Staff member
James_Hardie said:
If something doesn't chage quick we will out of finals contention not just this year, but for the next 5 years!

that's a little extreme isn't it?

I have no doubt in the world that we're shovelling sh*t up hill at the moment, but we still have the resources, structure and combined with the fresh ideas in place to succede.

I do however believe that we need new personel in our junior recruitment department.

barney gumble

Juniors
Bigfella said:

I hope someone can be more positive than me...

I gotta tell you I'm struggling to think of I worse start to the season myself

BD5733

Juniors
No one has any doubts as to what is keeping alot of our players unfit are they?

:alcho: :alcho: :alcho:

Tyler Durden

Juniors
3. yikes if you saw timmy in premier league, there is no way that you would send him anywhere near first grade until he get's his confidence back. it will just destroy him.

4. dummy half is no good unless your pack starts to dominate and starts to win the play the ball contests. our pack (apart from fui) should be sponsored by kleenex.
funny how when we took fui off, replaced him with vella, the panther pack suddenely got on top, pridis then ripped us apart. any co-incidence ?

Latest posts