What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team vs Raiders

I’d prefer fullback. Will be interesting to see what impacts origin has this week in many games
I agree. And the amount of shuffling around RTS has done this season is actually absurd.

Started the year at left centre, played a game at fullback where he shot the lights out, next game at right wing, then back to left centre before he got injured. Came back from injury to play right centre for 3 games, and now he’s on the left wing.

The dude has just come back from rugby and in only 13 games he’s been asked to play every single outside back position in the team. And we wonder why he’s not making the impact we all hoped. FMD.

Big Marn

Bench
I can see the worth of RTS on the wing as it will more than double his carries (being part of the back 3). Gives him more opportunities to have an impact and potentially catch defenders out of position.

JJ

Immortal
I can see the worth of RTS on the wing as it will more than double his carries (being part of the back 3). Gives him more opportunities to have an impact and potentially catch defenders out of position.
Yep, but I still think the team and him would be better with him at 1

Big Marn

Bench
Yep, but I still think the team and him would be better with him at 1
Im not so sure. RTS has been found wanting under the highball a few times this year which has directly lead to points. Its been a small issue with him his whole career. He will have to catch a few on his wing too but less likely to be catching under the posts. TT has been rock solid.
Also he wouldnt be as effective as RTS on the wing if you swapped them having no experience at NRL level.
If you are suggesting TT shouldnt even be in the run on side at all, i would have to disagree strongly.

Meth

Staff member
I am fine with RTS at wing. Doesn't really help us with speed, but he's elusive with a bit of space, so there's that. Good to see Leiataua back in the side.

I agree. And the amount of shuffling around RTS has done this season is actually absurd.

Started the year at left centre, played a game at fullback where he shot the lights out, next game at right wing, then back to left centre before he got injured. Came back from injury to play right centre for 3 games, and now he’s on the left wing.

The dude has just come back from rugby and in only 13 games he’s been asked to play every single outside back position in the team. And we wonder why he’s not making the impact we all hoped. FMD.
You have people out there thinking RTS is a failure of signing for us. Goes to show how much people look over the context of it all.
Love Rog and will always have my respect the way he conducts himself.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade

On the face of it, I see the merit in this...but when I look at Roger, I don't see someone who is the best in this side in any position. He's not the Roger of old and yes, he's 'only' 31 but if you're not demanding a spot in the NRL, you might have to fit in where it works. There's such a high bar with Leaitaua, and Webster sees this - which is why he's playing this week. RTS killed it in one game at fullback, but honestly I didn't see that he was that flash against the Dogs.

You could swap Tuaupiki out for Roger and play Graham-Taufa on the wing, but I like this side better.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
The way I see it, Roger is basically a quite strong and elusive ball runner with average speed and decent ball skills. He used to be an elite "run first" fullback and one of the hardest guys to tackle in the NRL, but he has lost a couple of steps physically.

I still think he earns a spot in our ideal starting side because at minimum he offers at least as much as Montoya/Kosi. Personally I also think he is good enough to start at centre (probably over Pompey) but I appreciate there is debate about that. I also respect the POV that he is our best fullback, but I'd be reluctant to drop CNK.

I just think we need to adjust our sights and accept that RTS The Superstar disappeared with COVID and what we have now is a squad player with a bit more upside than most.

To be fair I don’t think Roger’s had the opportunity to show where his ceiling is this season. He hasn’t played more than 4 consecutive games in the same position.

I’m struggling to think of any player this year who’s literally played every outside back spot for their team, let alone someone who’s doing that while also trying to transition back into the game.

I’d like to see him back at 1 but I’m not unhappy with Taine there either. Like the other youngsters he’s the future of our club and I hope they have huge games.

But Roger would have every right to feel hard done by too IMO. Whether by accident or design, he’s been dealt a pretty shitty hand and the fact he’s copping it without complaint really does speak volumes about his character.

Anyone suggesting that RTS is NOT up to it now can shove it up where the sun don't shine.
You have to feel for him where a club can't make their mind up where you are playing.
Roger's loyalty and no whining attitude to put club first has always shined for me.
When he left for Rugby he made the adjustments necessary (at the time) to get the club moving forward.

Put him in a position for half a season minimum and see him shine again.

Deep down, we as a club have not deserved this bloke.

Latest posts