What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Possible NSW Origin Line-ups

jimmythehand

Juniors
Let's put some speed on the wing. Then we've got size up front and instead of having just size on the wings & centres some speed out wide = a better balanced sdie.

1.Minnichello
2.Stewart
3.Lyon/Cooper don't care I think both are crap hopefully both won't be picked
4.King
5.Merritt
6.Anasta
7.Hornby/Sherwin
8.Kite
9.Buderus
10.Bailey
11.Mason
12.Hindmarsh
13.Hoffman

14.Gidley
15.Simpson
16.Ryan
17.Tupou

I wouldn't mind seeing collis at centre and king on the wing instead of stewart.

Stuart

Juniors
The real concern for me is a lack of halves. Anasta has been palying well but he really needs a real playmaker next to him to be at his best, as he is not the most creative 5/8 in the world. Anyway

1-Gidley
2-Hayne
3-Lyon
4-Cooper
5-King
6-Anasta
7-Orford
8-Kite
9-Buderas
10-Bailey
11-Mason
12-Hindmarsh
13-Hoffman

14-Omeally
15-Simpson
16-Farah
17-White

Kurt Angle

First Grade
jimmythehand said:
1.Minnichello
2.Stewart
3.Lyon/Cooper don't care I think both are crap hopefully both won't be picked
4.King
5.Merritt
6.Anasta
7.Hornby/Sherwin
8.Kite
9.Buderus
10.Bailey
11.Mason
12.Hindmarsh
13.Hoffman

14.Gidley
15.Simpson
16.Ryan
17.Tupou

Considering Lyon is a right side centre, with Cooper and King left side centre.. I think you have your choices mixed up.

Also, with the prospect of Cooper and Hronby being selected in your line up, who would kick the goals ?

Philby

Juniors
CWBush said:
I don't know if you bothered to tune in, but Gidley was first shifted to the centres and then ended up in first receiver. Sure, it's not covering a huge selection of roles - but it meant he played two more than his other 'utility' opposition.

Yes he played first reciever but in the modern game thats part of the job description for a 5/8 and in saying that he just proved he is not a 5/8 with his lack of direction and ball playing skill. And as for playing in the centres he was there for the best part of ten minutes and never saw the ball so effectivly all he did was stand in the centres. All Gidley showed last nite is that he is a fullback and he was played out of position at no.6.
Im not disputing the guys talent but thats at fullback i dont see him as a utility player.

Misanthrope

Staff member
in saying that he just proved he is not a 5/8 with his lack of direction and ball playing skill.

Trent Barrett wasn't exactly a great ball player, he did his best work as a runner. Kurt works fine as a five eighth if he's not being saddled with the play-making role. Given his halves partner was the similar gifted/hobbled Preston Campbell and he was saddled with the playmaking role - of course he struggled. Had Kimmorley remained on the field and Gidley been able to continue his running game, things would have been far different. He has never been a play-maker. He's a ball runner.

Big Pete

Referee
panthersballboy said:
I would go with that but make 2 changes. White in for Simpson, and Gidley instead of Farrah. I think Farrah is a great player but Gidley is the ultimate utility playing fullback, wing, centre, 5/8, halfback, hooker and even lock.

Yeah I forgot about White but I wouldn't be too hasty to select him just yet, Simpson is proven in the Origin arena.

Gidley in my opinion would play poorly in Origin. He's going well at fullback, yes, but he's average in other positions as far as I've seen.

Farah in because I believe Murray likes the options of two dummy halves, and Farah is the other in-form hooker for NSWs.

Balmain_Boy

CWBush said:
Trent Barrett wasn't exactly a great ball player, he did his best work as a runner. Kurt works fine as a five eighth if he's not being saddled with the play-making role. Given his halves partner was the similar gifted/hobbled Preston Campbell and he was saddled with the playmaking role - of course he struggled. Had Kimmorley remained on the field and Gidley been able to continue his running game, things would have been far different. He has never been a play-maker. He's a ball runner.

If my head is up Farah's arse, it ain't hard to work out were yours was. Gidley was bog ordinary in all three positon's he played last night. At least Farah was decent in the one he played.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
was lloking for something else and came across this

The following players make up the Wizard Blues preliminary squad. If a player is not included in the current squad, it will not preclude him from selection. The team will be selected on form, from the best players available.

Braith Anasta - Sydney Roosters
Danny Buderus - Newcastle Knights
Matt Cooper - St George Illawarra Dragons
Ben Creagh - St George Illawarra
Robbie Farah - Wests Tigers
Brett Finch - Parramatta Eels
Paul Gallen - Cronulla Sharks
Mark Gasnier - St George Illawarra Dragons
Eric Grothe - Parramatta Eels
Nathan Hindmarsh - Parramatta Eels
Brett Hodgson - Wests Tigers
Ryan Hoffman - Melbourne Storm
Ben Hornby - St George Illawarra
Brent Kite - Manly Sea Eagles
Jamie Lyon - Manly Sea Eagles
Reni Maitua - Bulldogs
Willie Mason - Bulldogs
Anthony Minichiello - Sydney Roosters
Luke O’Donnell - Nth Qld Cowboys
Mark O’Meley - Bulldogs
Matt Orford - Manly Sea Eagles
Andrew Ryan - Bulldogs
Jason Ryles - St George Illawarra Dragons
Anthony Tupou - Sydney Roosters
Craig Wing - Sydney Roosters
Dean Young - St George Illawarra

Players unavailable: Luke Bailey (Gold Coast), Craig Gower (Penrith), Matt King (Melbourne), Luke Lewis (Penrith), Steve Simpson (Newcastle), Timana Tahu (Parramatta), Trent Waterhouse (Penrith).

Thursday, 25th January 2007
http://www.nswrl.com.au/origin/article.php?id=198

This would suggest Orford was originally prefered to Gower and Kimmorley and Farah is certainly in thier thoughts.

creagles

Juniors
The NSW team for game 1

Anthony Minichiello
Matt King
Jamie Lyon
Matt Cooper
Hasem El Masri
Braith Anasta
Jarrod Mullen

Andrew Ryan
Nathan Hindmarsh
Willie Mason
Brent Kite
Danny Buderus (c)
Luke Bailey

Kurt Gidley
Steve Simpson
Anthony Tupou
Ryan Hoffman

perverse

Referee
Mr Angry said:
was lloking for something else and came across this

The following players make up the Wizard Blues preliminary squad. If a player is not included in the current squad, it will not preclude him from selection. The team will be selected on form, from the best players available.

Braith Anasta - Sydney Roosters
Danny Buderus - Newcastle Knights
Matt Cooper - St George Illawarra Dragons
Ben Creagh - St George Illawarra
Robbie Farah - Wests Tigers
Brett Finch - Parramatta Eels
Paul Gallen - Cronulla Sharks
Mark Gasnier - St George Illawarra Dragons
Eric Grothe - Parramatta Eels
Nathan Hindmarsh - Parramatta Eels
Brett Hodgson - Wests Tigers
Ryan Hoffman - Melbourne Storm
Ben Hornby - St George Illawarra
Brent Kite - Manly Sea Eagles
Jamie Lyon - Manly Sea Eagles
Reni Maitua - Bulldogs
Willie Mason - Bulldogs
Anthony Minichiello - Sydney Roosters
Luke O’Donnell - Nth Qld Cowboys
Mark O’Meley - Bulldogs
Matt Orford - Manly Sea Eagles
Andrew Ryan - Bulldogs
Jason Ryles - St George Illawarra Dragons
Anthony Tupou - Sydney Roosters
Craig Wing - Sydney Roosters
Dean Young - St George Illawarra

Players unavailable: Luke Bailey (Gold Coast), Craig Gower (Penrith), Matt King (Melbourne), Luke Lewis (Penrith), Steve Simpson (Newcastle), Timana Tahu (Parramatta), Trent Waterhouse (Penrith).

Thursday, 25th January 2007
http://www.nswrl.com.au/origin/article.php?id=198

This would suggest Orford was originally prefered to Gower and Kimmorley and Farah is certainly in thier thoughts.
that date says it all. clearly a squad based on absolutely nothing concrete, reputation alone. they wont be able to ignore all the form players.. although some will definately miss out.

League Legend

Juniors
Not that I'm a NSW supporter but if I had a hand in picking the team I would go for something like this:

1. Anthony Minichiello
2. Matt King
3. Matt Cooper
4. Jamie Lyon
5. Eric Grothe
6. Braith Anasta
7. Matt Orford
8. Luke Bailey
9. Danny Buderus (c)
10. Willie Mason
11. Nathan Hindmarsh
12. Ryan Hoffman
13. Anthony Tupou
14. Andrew Ryan
15. Brent Kite
16. Steve Simpson
17. Kurt Gidley
Strong side, though I'm sure there are a lot of you who would disagree and those of you that have your favourite players.
I find the halves the toughest part of the side to pick. I went with those two guys just on experience.

The Colonel

Immortal
1. Anthony Minichiello
2. Matt King
3. Matt Cooper
4. Jamie Lyon
5. Eric Grothe
6. Braith Anasta
7. Michael Monaghan
8. Luke Bailey
9. Danny Buderus (c)
10. Willie Mason
11. Nathan Hindmarsh
12. Andrew Ryan
13. Reni Maitua

14. Robbie Farah
15. Brent Kite
16. Steve Simpson
17. Ryan Hoffmann

hindmarsh4pm

Juniors
1.Brett Stewart
2.Jarryd Hayne
3.Matt King
4.Matt Cooper
5.Hazem Elmasri
6.Braith Anasta
7.Brett Kimmorley
8.Willie Mason
9.Danny Buderus
10.Luke Bailey
11.Nathan Hindmarsh
12.Ryan Hoffman
13.Andrew Ryan

14.Robbie Farah
15.Brent Kite
16.Brett White
17.Anthony Tupou

ByRd

First Grade
My team would be:

1.Anthony Minichello
2.Hazem El Masri
3.Jamie Lyon
4.Matt Cooper
5.Matt King
6.Braith Anasta
7.Michael Monaghan
8.Willie Mason
9.Danny Buderus
10.Brent Kite
11.Nathan Hindmarsh
12.Ryan Hoffman
13.Andrew Ryan

14.Robbie Farah
15.Luke Bailey
16.Brett White (Steve Simpson will get it)
17.Anthony Tupou

Jono078

Referee
1. Minichiello
2. King
3. Lyon
4. Cooper
5. Grothe
6. Anasta
7. Mullen
8. Kite
9. Buderus (C)
10. Mason
11. Hindmarsh
12. Hoffman
13. Ryan
--
14. Tupou
15. Bailey
16. Ryles
17. Farah

That's what im expecting to see.

RABK

Referee
1. Anthony Minichiello
2. Matt King
3. Matt Cooper
4. Jamie Lyon
5. Hazem El Masri
6. Braith Anasta
7. Jarrod Mullen
8. Luke Bailey
9. Danny Buderus (c)
10. Willie Mason
11. Nathan Hindmarsh
12. Paul Gallen
13. Andrew Ryan

14. Brent Kite
15. Anthony Tupou
16. Robbie Farah
17. Steve Simpson

Pigskin

Juniors
not that its gonna matter in the slightest, cause with or without Locky, Qld win 3-0 this year

but for once I agree with Gus ... Michael Monaghan is the blues best option at 7 ... however not with Anasta ... that combo would lack ... too bad Carney isn't fit ... Monaghan and Carney would pose problems

Oink !

t-ba

Post Whore
Pigskin said:
not that its gonna matter in the slightest, cause with or without Locky, Qld win 3-0 this year

but for once I agree with Gus ... Michael Monaghan is the blues best option at 7 ... however not with Anasta ... that combo would lack ... too bad Carney isn't fit ... Monaghan and Carney would pose problems

Oink !

Fat lot of goods your flash backs will do when our forwards are making sure your pack of nuffies make 3 metres a hit up.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Pigskin said:

Oink !

Carney is making his return from injury tonight
could have probably played last week Henry didnt want to risk him

I cant believe people are still picking Mullen, the kids talented, and will be a rep player in his own time, but he isnt ready, he has show flashes of what he can do but he is terribly inconsistant at the moment, reminds me alot of Carney early last year, Carney is a far more developed player then Mullen at this moment. If you're gonna punt on a young half, with or without green glasses, i think Carney is the safer bet