What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Possible player retention issues for 2004 & beyond.

Big Poppa Pump

Juniors
With Minichiello, Hegarty, Crocker & Ricketson making their Test debuts this year and with Fitzgibbon & Wing cementing their positions as Test players, how are we supposed to keep these guys as well as the rest of the team under the cap? Surely Crocker, Mini, Ricko & Hegs would need an automatic salary increase to reflect their new status in the game.

Don't forget Cross & Hodges are off contract at the end of the year as well.................and Hodges MUST be our number one priority to resign.

I can see a major cull coming up at year end 2004. I can see Freddy gone (no surprise), I can see Cross gone, I can see Ricko gone. We also have Wing off contract in 2005 & again we MUST keep him.

We cannot be allowed to lose young kids in the peak of their careers who we have grown & nutured ala Mini, Flanno, Hegs & Crock.

antonius

Coach
This highlights the need for a re-think by the league hirachy Clubs are being penalised for developing rep quality players. Penrith will be another club that will suffer the effects of this next year when some of the current crop of young uns they have come off contract. I think more thought needs to be given to service concessions, from 6 years rather than 10. Also concessions for development of players, not just home grown but players that are at a club from say 18 yrs of age, rise through the ranks of that club to SOO or Aust status, a small increase in the cap is also in order I think. I wouldn't like to see a massive increase I'd rather see the benifits given to cubs for the other things I've mentioned. One thing is for certain, we shouldn't see clubs continually penalised for producing quality players.

ozzie

Bench
how long has cayless signed for ?? i m awaiting the next Beetson - Shillington to hit the scene - a lot of injuries last year - but i wouldn't mind betting that was created by his being a big boy in a young man's body. When he hits first grade watch out opposition. A fast front row forward weighing about 120kgs...

I think that our feeder clubs will keep providing us with good young players. for Arty to develop..and even if we don't go to well in jersey Flegg- there is still a star waiting to play.

The Caveman is with us until the end of 2005 Ozzie.

I read somewhere that the NRL are going to have talks regarding lifting the Salary Cap for 2005. If this happens, then we may be able to keep some of the players that we've developed.

Tidus_Raider

Bench
You guys have also signed a young prop from the panthers by the name of greg rose. He played in the premier league GF and has a big wraps.

Raider_69

Post Whore
lifting the cap :eek: :eek:
do you mean just rising it pen or acually getting rid of it in 2005?!?!?!
IMO this will not help anything, players will get on huge contracts and expect the same once it expires

the one good thing about the raiders, our players can buy a rep spot so we dont have to worry about it
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fibroman

First Grade
There still needs to be a cap, but it probably needs to be a bit higher than the 3.25m, or whatever it is now.

It seems a bit ridiculous to me that a gimpy soccer player can be running around on an annual salary in the tens of millions of dollars and a quality first grade rugby league player is struggling to earn 100k.

A lot of these blokes have to put alternative careers on hold in order to play league. A lot of them will be relying on what they earn from league for their families futures.

I think Roosters will struggle to retain a lot of their players under the current cap. We will have the same problem at Penrith too.

BTW, you guys did sign Rose from Penrith. He looks to have the goods. Pity he's heading east to yuppiesville.

RoostarGirl

Juniors
fibro man said:
There still needs to be a cap, but it probably needs to be a bit higher than the 3.25m, or whatever it is now.

It seems a bit ridiculous to me that a gimpy soccer player can be running around on an annual salary in the tens of millions of dollars and a quality first grade rugby league player is struggling to earn 100k.

A lot of these blokes have to put alternative careers on hold in order to play league. A lot of them will be relying on what they earn from league for their families futures.

I think Roosters will struggle to retain a lot of their players under the current cap. We will have the same problem at Penrith too.

BTW, you guys did sign Rose from Penrith. He looks to have the goods. Pity he's heading east to yuppiesville.

Hey Fibro!!! Only just won the G/F and already pushing for a Salary increase :lol: ...you told me the other day you would have no dramas with Girdler leaving....good to see you have taken some of what I said on board...the more teams that want the cap increased the better I say, finally it may actually happen.

Regarding Soccer players....they can substantiate paying those kind of $s because of the support the teams get over there....honestly you've seen how packed those Stadium's get I am sure....and the Corporate $ there is massive also.....I see your point though.

Yes and Pump to answer your question....I love Crossy and he is probably my favourite Rooster player...I even told him hes like a brother to me :lol: Seriously he laughed too :lol: but I reckon we need Hodges more....however....I have a strong feeling that we may lose both boys....one to Union and possibly the other to the Broncos....only time will tell.

I also agree that Freddy and Ricko will probably both play out their careers next year....Ricko may go around again....but with Freddy having a Toddler almost by the end of next season...I reckon he is certain to retire.

Yes huge problems at the end of next year....hopefully Pen is right and they will increase the Cap.....that is what has been touted about.

Also Antonius you make some very strong points which I agree with.

Raider_69 said:

Darlin' this is the quote regarding the cap, I read.

In today's discussions the NRL has confirmed its plans to review the Salary Cap figure for 2005, to limit the number of exclusive sponsor categories (allowing players to further exploit their individual intellectual property opportunities)

So it would seem that the cap may be raised along with changes to sponsorship deals.

It will be interesting to see what develops.

Fibroman

First Grade
Cross will have to leave the Roosters, even with his permed hair, he'sstill not pretty enough to join the Sunsilk set. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Raider_69

Post Whore
Penelope Pittstop said:
Raider_69 said:

Darlin' this is the quote regarding the cap, I read.

but was the article suggesting they rise the cap or get rid of it?

Easts would be stupid to let Cross go. The guy is a great player and we haven't seen him at his best yet. Don't forget that he missed nearly 2 seasons through injury and in his first season back he played every game and was our leading try scorer. As far as I'm concerned Cross will play for Australia. He's a natural. He looks dangerous every time he takes on the line, he is a genuine line breaker and he's a local. I'd say with Fittler retiring it will free up enough money for us to retain the players we want to keep. I do agree that we will have to get rid of some but not the quality players like Cross. There is dead wood that we can get rid of!

RoostarGirl

Juniors
Rooster Cogburn. said:
Easts would be stupid to let Cross go. The guy is a great player and we haven't seen him at his best yet. Don't forget that he missed nearly 2 seasons through injury and in his first season back he played every game and was our leading try scorer. As far as I'm concerned Cross will play for Australia. He's a natural. He looks dangerous every time he takes on the line, he is a genuine line breaker and he's a local. I'd say with Fittler retiring it will free up enough money for us to retain the players we want to keep. I do agree that we will have to get rid of some but not the quality players like Cross. There is dead wood that we can get rid of!

Cogburn I agree with what your saying about Cross and I like you am one of Crossy's biggest fans...but I read an article where Cross stated that he was interested in going to Union....so I would suggest that if the Roosters can't afford him...he will go back.

I want him to stay but I suppose it depends on who they think is more important to the Team at the time...Cross has next year to prove his worth even more...I love Ryan always have always. I also agree with you about him playing for Australia....I will never forget how he played against Newcastle in the Pre-lim Final in 2000 and also the highlights video of the Roosters in 2000 Cross was sensational.....he is getting it back and hopefully next year he will prove himself....again.

tdcockers

Juniors
Penelope Pittstop said:
In today's discussions the NRL has confirmed its plans to review the Salary Cap figure for 2005, to limit the number of exclusive sponsor categories (allowing players to further exploit their individual intellectual property opportunities)

So it would seem that the cap may be raised along with changes to sponsorship deals.

could also mean the salary cap will be reduced.... not a pretty thought for some of the big teams, but might turn out well for some of the smaller teams ie north qld, souths, manly

Fibroman

First Grade
I think the review refers to clubs that pay a player a certain figure ' on the books ', and then the player gets a number of 'backhanders' from local businesses etc. for marketing etc. Thus making the total financial package for that player quite attractive. That's why it is important that the clubs have stringent auditing so that there can be no link between the finances of the club and the so called sponsor for the player. Eg. The Sunsilk Set. Roosters slinging a certain amount of cash to the shampoo company to compensate what the pretty boys got paid for doing the ad. Did you notice it was high profile players in the ad? Players that would no doubt be on quite high salaries.

antonius

Coach
fibro man said:
I think the review refers to clubs that pay a player a certain figure ' on the books ', and then the player gets a number of 'backhanders' from local businesses etc. for marketing etc. Thus making the total financial package for that player quite attractive. That's why it is important that the clubs have stringent auditing so that there can be no link between the finances of the club and the so called sponsor for the player. Eg. The Sunsilk Set. Roosters slinging a certain amount of cash to the shampoo company to compensate what the pretty boys got paid for doing the ad. Did you notice it was high profile players in the ad? Players that would no doubt be on quite high salaries.
They're hardly gonna use Neville Nobodies are they??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
antonius said:
fibro man said:

No.....they're not the ones they they want to retain.

antonius

Coach
Twizzle said:
antonius said:
fibro man said:

No.....they're not the ones they they want to retain.

I'd say it's more to do with who the Sunsilk boys wanted to use. You never know it might work for the Panthers next year, they might get Luke Rooney, and Martin Lang to advertise Monsters inc Dolls!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

mj5150

Juniors
antonius said:
I'd say it's more to do with who the Sunsilk boys wanted to use. You never know it might work for the Panthers next year, they might get Luke Rooney, and Martin Lang to advertise Monsters inc Dolls!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: I think I just wet my pants...

Latest posts