What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Possible Replacement for Langmack?

HBG

Juniors
Linnane quits as Hull KR coach
Fri Nov 21, 8:25am (UK)
Source: Hull Kingston Rovers

Hull Kingston Rovers have been left shocked by the decision of head coach Steve Linnane to resign from his post at the club just half-way through his two year contract at Craven Park.

With pre-season training now underway at the club and plans for the 2004 squad firmly in place the Rovers board were left stunned as Steve Linnane returned from a close season visit back home to Australia to notify the board of his decision to quit.

Linnane revealed family reasons were behind his decision to resign having not seen his wife in the past year including the birth of his baby daughter who are back in Australia. Linnane is expected to remain in control for the next week until a return flight can be booked.

The former Rochdale Hornets and Halifax Blue Sox coach had spent just a year at the helm of the club guiding them to a 4th place league finish and to within 80 minutes of a Grand Final appearance leaving the supporters with high expectations for the forthcoming year.

Rovers chief executive Nick Halafihi commented on the news: "We respect Steve's wishes and whilst thanking him for his efforts at Hull KR we wish him luck in the future but he will be sorely missed at Craven Park. It shows a lot of credit to Steve for travelling 12,000 miles to inform us of his decision."

Commenting on a potential replacement Nick Halafihi said: "We understand this is a crucial part of the pre-season but we already have a solid team in place off the field who can continue the training. We will not be making a rash decision on a new appointment but will look at all options available in securing a professional coach who can continue the excellent work started by Steve, drive the club forward and take us into the Super League."

HBG

Juniors
Otherwise I hear there maybe a current Australian/Sydney based coach looking for a job, and apparently he has a halfback as part of the package.

The Colonel

Immortal
I heard the reason why the Rabbits signed Shane Flanagan (Eels 1st Div. coach) was to use him as the caretaker coach for the 2004 season if Langmack gets the flick. They would see how he goes or approach a new coach for 2005.

Robbie_D

Juniors
Colonel Eel said:
I heard the reason why the Rabbits signed Shane Flanagan (Eels 1st Div. coach) was to use him as the caretaker coach for the 2004 season if Langmack gets the flick. They would see how he goes or approach a new coach for 2005.

Shane Flanagan turned down the job and went to England.

Mitch Healey now has the position.

Robbie_D

Juniors
Colonel Eel said:
Probably a good move.....

What do you think of your buys for next year?

Are you please to have Wise Kativerata, Wade McKinnon, Fui Fui Moi Moi, Shane Muspratt, Corey Pearson etc at the club for next year?

How does Brian Smith let Heckenberg go and sign Corey Pearson?

The Colonel

Immortal
I was disappointed to see Heckenberg go however as he would have been chasing something longer than a one year deal it wasn't a bad move. Pearson will add some experience to the side and with other players off contract at the end of 2004 and 2005 it frees money up to sign them instead. Hecekenberg was good however he isn't exactly a priority signing like Cayless or Hindmarsh. Cannings on the other hand will push for a spot in the 17 from day one - hopefully ahead of Vella.

Moi Moi is a puzzle. He has some upsides - big, strong and quick. However he doesn't have a really good attitude which Smith won't tolerate. I'd say he will be off the PL bench unless he does something really spectacular. He will have a full off season at least.

McKinnon and Wise were signed for depth however Wise may end up in firsts if players are injured - he is a huge unit and not too bad at kick returns so he may go ok. Seeing as we picked him up on the cheap just before Souths were about to increase his contract for this season it wasn't too bad. Bolsters the depth quite a lot - as do Stapleton and Jeremiah Pai.

Muspratt and Muckert are good signings - Muspratt will hopefully give Wagon some competition at lock and he does have good hands having played a lot of 5/8. Muckert will probably partner Hindmarsh in the back row.

bunnies

Juniors
brain smith , lets see how wrong i am , you heard it here first .

Laurie Daley , dont count him out , best mates with henry morris , with out saying to much he is the reason gus and colman do not speak as gus was pushing for daley to coach souths .

HBG

Juniors
bunnies said:
brain smith , lets see how wrong i am , you heard it here first .

Laurie Daley , dont count him out , best mates with henry morris , with out saying to much he is the reason gus and colman do not speak as gus was pushing for daley to coach souths .

I heard this link once before.

The Whippet

Juniors
At the end of the season I heard from someone among South Sydney management that they are going to approach Chris Anderson.

thomo

Juniors
lukem88 said:
At the end of the season I heard from someone among South Sydney management that they are going to approach Chris Anderson.
No thanks - we have enough problems as it is!

thomo

Juniors
Kaz said:
If Souths get rid of Langmack, they would have to pay his contract out.
Correct. You would have thought we had learnt our lesson the last time!

The Whippet

Juniors
His contract would only have one year left running so it would only have to pay out $120 000 and to my knowledge there are no options or clauses in his contract.

The viable option may be to appoint him as assistant coach, unless his contract clearly states that he would be head coach of the club.

He could also possibly sue for damage to reputation.