What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Potters tenure

phenisha

Juniors
So what are the thoughts on what the tigers board will do RE Potter as he is off contract this year.

I know it is a bit hard to say now as we are only 5 weeks in. However I think this year he had more chance to sculpt the team to play how he wants and not dealing with a Sheens squad. This has obviously impacted us especially in the bench. With our bench now probably one of the most impacting on the League.

He does seem to have the younger guys firing. if it was up to me (considering we continue to play with the same passion we have been playing) I would be willing to get another 2 year deal with him.

Thoughts?

BuffaloRules

Coach
Yep agree....

Seems to have a good eye with some of the relative unknown players he has bought into the squad over the off season....

Give him another 2 years ASAP ...( not 3....)

gronkathon

First Grade
I was happy with the progress he got out of the young blokes last year and would be happy to see him extended

Matchball

Bench
Top 8 this year before extensions.
If we miss the 8 I'm sure he will be under pressure at season end. The knives will come out surely knowing our board.

Top 8 this year before extensions.
If we miss the 8 I'm sure he will be under pressure at season end. The knives will come out surely knowing our board.

Our new board with the independent directors may be different.

I think he can coach, all of our youngsters last year and this year have improved.

I think it helps that he has hired his own assistant coaches. Players need to know by mid season who the coach is, I would offer him a 1 year deal with a 1 year option that kicks in automatically if we achieve a certain position next year. I think he would take that and I would back him to meet the conditions and be there for the 2 years.

Radical Rat

Juniors
I'd be happy to extend him now and I think we should. I'm very happy with the progress of the side. With the Warriors about to sack Elliot and Price always on thin ice, I'd hate for another club to poach Potter. If he was offered a contract with another club you could hardly blame him if he left either, he's (unfairly) had to look over his shoulder since the day he got here.

If he did leave, where the hell would that leave us? Back to the drawing board and up sh!t creek.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd give him 2 years so that he will have had a proper 3 year tenure.

The kids were always there and they were always going to be talents, so I can't judge him on that.

But I will judge him on his purchases and the way the team plays. He has made some very astute budget purchases which have come up trumps for us and has managed to get the team a solid structure to work around, relying on dominant aggressive forwards, especially in defence where we had been lacking for so long, and managing to get Farah to let Brooks run the show.

TO Farah's credit he's starting to do this better every week. When we are struggling he tends to try and take over everything by himself, but I think he's starting to realise that he's got plenty of skilled players around him now that he doesn't need to do that.

Tigers Tale

Juniors
I'd have no problems with him getting another two years. The players are responding to him so that is a huge bonus. Someone else mentioned the aggression he is getting out of our defence...a huge plus for him.

I'd suggest there isn't a coach in the NRL that wouldn't want to get their hands on this current team. They are; in the main young and certainly on the way up so it is a pretty good team to be working with.

He has deSheensified the team, which is huge, but I think it's a little too soon to be signing him up long term. I think if we are entrenched in the finals at the mid point of the season we should look to extend his contract, but if we go on another big run of losses maybe we need to move him on.

DanOz

Juniors
I see this as his first year. Last year he took over Sheens team. I would give him another 2 years

macnaz

Staff member
Im happy with 2 or 1 and an option , I also think sooner rather then later. He is coaching for peanuts and if the side keeps heading upwards as I think it will so may his asking price.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
He has deSheensified the team, which is huge, but I think it's a little too soon to be signing him up long term. I think if we are entrenched in the finals at the mid point of the season we should look to extend his contract, but if we go on another big run of losses maybe we need to move him on.

I think runs of wins and losses is inevitable for such a young side, especially with two rookies essentially in the spine.

I dont think he can be held accountable for last year,there were issue with that squad long before he arrived,whilst the team certainly has improved and appears to have taken to his coaching methods this season so far .Come the end of the season and if the WT have won more than they have lost, i would expect Potters contract to be extended and rightly so.To some extent also,if injuries cripple our season this should also be taken into accountant rather than blaming the coach for not making the 8 .
For the first time in a long while things seem to be looking up at the WT,keeping Potter could be another positive move in the right dirrection !

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
look at how the team all playing for each other, are all smiles etc.

Its amazing how much good has happened by simply cutting Benji & Sheens

gronkathon

First Grade
For all the talk of Forever Brothers the bonds of this years team are infinitely stronger with a few key egoes removed from the equation

Tiger05

First Grade
I think he should be extended and I'd be willing to give him a longer term contract than some of the suggestions on here. I really think he can get this year plus an additional 3 years and I'd be happy to sign him up now.

super_coach

First Grade
We now have a coach who wants to play hard and direct and we now have a very good spine in our 1 6 7 and 9,(even Anasta is contributing).

As for resigning Pots, I would hold off until mid season. Things can change very quickly

Virtually every player has improved under Potter's watch which is a welcome change to what we were accustomed to under Sheens.