What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Potters tenure

Tigers Tale

Juniors
Credit to Potter as well. Sheens would have managed to organise a loss, we never got the bikkies in close ones. Potter has got us hungry and to have the ability to be in a game right to the very end...Well done coach.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Something i like about Potter is the loyalty he showed towards the players last season when we were travelling ordinary.It would of been easy to point the blame at a number of players publicly but to his credit he choose otherwise creating unity and trust.

What he did was bring back stability while at the same time created competition for positions, especially up front, which has been brilliant.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Potters thinking though, and you can't blame him for it either, is why take Simona, who's playing brilliantly in his preferred position, and move him out of his natural position.

It's Sheens thinking essentially.

So I dare say that Rowe will be persevered with, maybe the stability and confidence of winning two games straight could help see him grow more comfortable with the role and get better.

He is better than Moltzen at fullback. He's not great, but as a back up, he's good enough.

Magpie Tragic

Juniors
I have NEVER been a fan of weakening one position in order to "possibly" strengthen another position. As poorly as Rowe is playing I see no sense in moving Simona.
It ain't broke so don't fix it......
With regards Luani, he started the game strongly running from dummy half then went into his shell for some reason. He seemed to be struggling to keep up with the pace of the game. Whereas Austin seemed to be cruising with the speed of the game, albeit he came on when the initial intensity slackened off......I would be happy enough to see that same combination of starting Luani & bring on Austin after 20 minutes next week.
Neither of them are Robbie & don't see any alternatives until Robbie returns, unless Cherrington has improved immensely since I last saw him play.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
As I said elsewhere, whats the alternative to Luani/Austin.

I'd rather a fresh Austin towards the end of the game than a tired one.

Luani is a toiler, a John Morris style of hooker. Does the hard work but offers little to the attack. His endurance needs work though.

Both Luani and Austin though need to run more from dummy half.

Other than that, look at the stats and they tell you that both did a better job then people would give them credit for.

Woods - 111 metres
Galloway - 73 metres
Akaoula - 100 metres
Thompson - 124 metres
Blair - 138 metres
Taupau - 109 metres
Seumanufagai - 98 metres

If our forwards and benchies are all getting 100 metres gained each (or near enough to it), then the dummy half service must be pretty good.

I'd expect the same team to be announced with the Austin/Luani swap happening again.

They will stick with Anasta. It has been interesting listening to radio people saying how well he has been going, it surprises me but the likes of Tallis who has said it, have played at the highest level, I haven't.

I guess 'we' experts that include me who were wishing that Potter stuck to the 4 forwards on the bench have forgotten that Austin did play in the forwards at Penrith. They way Austin & Luani both played yesterday was for me, pretty good. Because of injury it was necessary for them both to be on at the same time but it worked well.

I think next week it will work well again and I think having Fulton back for Gavet (I assume anyway) will provide that bit more experience that will be needed.

Latest posts