What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PRE MINOR SEMI-FINAL (2008) NINJAS v EELS

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Forum 7s - PRELIMINARY MINOR SEMI-FINAL - 2008
*SUDDEN DEATH - WINNER TO MINOR SEMI*
CHUCK NORRIS TEXAS DEATH NINJAS v PARRAMATTA EELS

jersey_ninjas_1.gif
-v-
jersey_eels_1.gif

Game Thread:
* Please note - This is a game thread only, therefore only game posts can be made here (Teams, Articles).
* Any other posts may result in loss of points and is at the discretion of the referee
* Only original articles, not used in previous games, will be marked by referees.​

Naming Teams:
* 5v5 (+ 2 reserves for each team)
* No 'TBA' or changing players named
* Captains must stick with original teams named​

ALL THE RULES & REGULATIONS: http://f7s.leagueunlimited.com/rules.php

FULL TIME: Wedneday 27 August 2008 at 9pm (Syd time)

REFEREE: Pistol
Venue: The Front Row Stadium​

**The Referee Blows Game On!**
whistle_2.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

bartman

Immortal
The fifth placed Parramatta Eels F7s squad have squeaked into semi-final F7s for the first time since their glory year of 2006, and look forward to settling the score with the Ninjas following their hard fought Round 7 draw.

Sudden death F7s, may the best team win and progress to take on the top three!

attachment.php

MarkInTheStands
Prince Charles
Dean
miniHINDY
bartman
- - - - -
eloquentEEL
Goleel

paulquinn49

Bench
CNTDN

paulquinn49 (c)
edabomb (c)
Titties (c)
jamesgould (vc)
Hallatia (vc)

Bench

Freddo (vc)
Raider Azz (vc)

MarkInTheStands for the Eels running out for the start of the finals campain.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
A New Face To Parramatta?

There is a possibility of Daniel Anderson coming back to coach Parramatta in the future. But there are several issues that may stop it happening quickly.

Firstly it has been noted several times that the Parramatta club has never paid out an underperforming coach. Surely that is true for Brian Smith when in his underperforming years of 2003-4 the remaining weight of his contract was three years and two years respectively. In 2006 we announced our 2007 coach, while Phil Gould has said we should have paid out the current coach and gotten Hagan in quick smart.

But the thing that keeps running around my mind is Nathan Brown... Brown’s good or bad points as a coach can be argued endlessly but in all reality, he was told he would not be the coach for 2009 and has still shaped and moulded the Dragons into the top eight. However there is also the counter argument of Graham Murray who felt powerless to control his club after being told he was a dead man walking.

This year has been a disappointment for the Eels in terms of the things that people on these boards - the fans - talk about. While the fans hung on for dear life hoping the team would fire, I get the idea that certain people were not that comfortable with the plans for 2009 well in advance of when most of the whispers about Anderson broke into the main stream. I think there were divisions of opinion in the minds of those that matter well in advance of that poor showing against the Rabbitohs when this issue began to arise.

I am quite sure that the current temperament of the club would not be in favour of keeping Michael on past 2008. But an insider has stated that the whole problem with getting a new coach is a matter of costs - not WILL we pay out the contract, but CAN WE AFFORD to pay out the contract? Parramatta as a football side are reliant on the Leagues Club for our funding as fans have been reminded multiple times at the Football Club AGMs.

While the financial report numbers posted by the Club are true and we did lose two million dollars after the Leagues Club covered the NRL operations, I would not say Parramatta are absolutely skint! I would say Parramatta are tightening their belts, but I do not think they are at deaths door - not by a long shot.

Now I am on record as saying I believe a majority of Parramatta fans are fickle, and it is just a matter to what degree their fickleness runs. I think there are those who didn't even turn up this year after our dodgy start. Unlike previous years when Parramatta have started poor but the effort has been there and things have later started to click, this year Parramatta have never looked like having the possibility of a sold out stadium - even for a good local derby or Sunday game.

So how does this relate to Michael Hagan and Daniel Anderson? Firstly Hagan’s contract is only one year to pay out which makes the precedents a little less relevant. And if there are possible extension talks with the coach as stated at the end of this year, I would hope Denis would have learnt his lesson from the previous attempt and if a change is going to be made that he makes it quickly.

The press build up had seen Parramatta fans expect the Eels to play with the same record as the Melbourne Storm, and when the players didn't look to be close to that, the most demanding fans of our club stayed away in their droves. These are the people whose hearts and minds clubs need to capture and our side’s performances have been unable to do that. It got to the point that the club were starting to lose the hearts and minds of even the most accepting Parramatta fan.

If the fans are truly the life blood of the league, which we are always told, then keeping those hearts and minds is paramount. Money spent by individual fans at the gates may be small figures in the balance sheets, but to capture our ancillary spend sponsors and TV networks alike will throw money at the club and the league. If our club truly understands this, then perhaps moves on the coaching front might happen sooner regardless of the financial constraints?
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
750 Words.

bartman

Immortal
After getting his shoulder popped back in, miniHINDY is ready to head back into the fray!

attachment.php

Out: eloquentEEL
In: miniHINDY

Dean

Juniors
Dean runs onto the field much earlier than usual.

Dill.

I hate the Manly bus department. They’re always poaching our best and brightest bus drivers. Drivers that were nurtured and given their chance at the transport big time by good, hard working bus companies in Western Sydney Depots, only for the likes of north shore companies to throw massive amounts of money at them. And what are we left with? Maybe a few experienced drivers here and there, but for the most part, drivers who are still on their heavy vehicle L-plates.

Sadly we can’t do much about it. Manly have all the money and of course, the life style. They have the sun, the surf and the pleasure of driving down the street without a weapon pointing in their direction. People think that the great Buddy Coles walked away from Penrith simply because of money. I have it on good authority that the Mount Druitt night rider was the main reason he jumped ship, or rather bus.

It’s about time the state government helped us out in the finance department. Drivers need more incentive to stay on dangerous routes. Or maybe, just maybe, we need some kind of cap, a salary cap if you will, a cap that will level the playing field and put an end to the rich bus departments throwing massive amounts of money in the air. Maybe then, all the working class depots will be able to keep the up and comers like Tyson ‘stick shift’ McLennan and Derrick ‘double decker’ Harrower.

The problem with a salary cap of course, is the preppy city rail executives. If we can’t pay drivers an amount which reflects their particular talents, you can bet your life savings that the railcorp vultures will swoop. They’ve been waiting for a moment of weakness in the bus department ranks since Daily Route Messenger defected in 1908. And if this isn’t bad enough, rumour has it that the French transport ministry are set to throw even more money at our fellas. They don’t even know what a contract is over there. The frogs work under a ‘stay as long as you want’ system. It’s crazy, how can we compete with that.

Pretty soon, I’ll have to start driving myself to work, because our beloved bus service will be dead or relocated to the Central Coast where they’re crying out for a decent transport system.

<Time and Space Folds>

Okay, now that I’ve completed the trans-dimensional jump from parallel universe number 64325162, and stopped asking for Ted the bus driver’s autograph, I can settle down to my regular prime dimensional routine of going to the footy, cheering for the Parramatta Eels, and writing sub par articles about the game I love.

So where was I before my inter-dimensional slip? Oh yeah, Sonny Bill.

Is the salary cap a restraint of trade? Is it wrong for us to criticise a rugby league superstar simply because he wants a better job and a better pay packet? Probably, but I don’t care. I really don’t care and the majority of rugby league supporters don’t care either.

What’s that Sonny Bill? Why? Well for one, every single supporter of this great game has placed an emotional investment in the game. We feel like crying when our team loses a grand final, we feel like crying when our team wins a grand final. In fact we don’t even say it like this. The correct phrase would be ‘we feel like crying when WE lose a grand final, we feel like crying when WE win a grand final'. The game is more than a spectator sport to us, it is part of our daily routine which builds and builds until the eventual climax at the end of our week. And then we start again.

So please Sonny Bill, please don’t try to justify your actions by comparing yourself to working class professionals who are looking for a quicker way to pay off their mortgages. We don’t care if Ted the bus driver walks away from his daily route to work for a rival competitor, we don’t sweat on his performance every week the way we do with you and the rest of your mates who get paid to do what is essentially a hobby.

What you should have said Sonny Bill is this: “I did it for the money and I was sick of the Bulldogs”. At least then you would have been greedy and disloyal, and not greedy, disloyal and full of… well, you know what.

749 words.

Last edited:

miniHINDY

Juniors
Minihindy scrambles on the field, still tying his boots up. Phew.
- - - - -

How the Tigers got their stripes....

Being the avid rugby league historian that I am, I&#8217;m always wondering how long-standing traditions are formed. The question that most consistently engages my curiosity is the reason why NRL teams received their particular mascots. So here goes nothing, the result of decades of meticulous research:

Parramatta Eels
The Eels logo stems from the antics of local front-rower, Alf McGee. Alf was notorious for his shower-antics, in particular his habit of shaping his genitals like wild animals. The problem for Alf was that he lacked even a modicum of creativity, only ever mastering the &#8216;eel&#8217; and the &#8216;snake&#8217;. But after one particularly strenuous 1946 training session he called his entire squad in to witness his greatest performance - the &#8216;electric eel&#8217;. The combination of the wet shower and the electrodes attached to his testicles killed him instantly. The following year the Parramatta team was named in his honour. RIP Alf.

Brisbane Broncos
Being from Queensland, many of Brisbane&#8217;s players grew an emotional attachment to wild horses. It got weird when their half-back made the relationship physical. Bloody Queenslanders.

Canberra Raiders
The year preceding Canberra&#8217;s inception was a rowdy one for the Queanbeyan rugby league club. The team had spent numerous nights in police custody after &#8216;raiding&#8217; local parties. This was a peculiar ritual in which the team would charge into a party chanting Nordic ditties, and then carry the finest of booty (alcohol and women) back out on their shoulders. They finally crossed the line on their end of year trip when they woke up from a drunken stupor atop piles of rubies and gold with a naked women manacled in the corner.

Cronulla Sharks
1966 was a particular lean year financially for the Cronulla-Sutherland rugby league team. The forward pack had ran up an astronomical bill whilst on an end of season trip to Vegas, and their meagre income from longneck and chip sales did not cover the costs. After failing all other potential debt-payment schemes, their loan-agency came up with a deal; name the team &#8216;Sharks&#8217; in a deeply ironic and esoteric act. The administration finally caved in to the pressure of broken kneecaps and concrete boots, and they&#8217;ve been the Sharks ever since.

Auckland Warriors
Have you ever seen the film &#8216;Once Were Warriors&#8217;? Well the Warriors team was initially a social outing for the wife-beaters that plied their trade on that film. In the early nineties they were all sent to jail for vicious domestic assault. With a whole new team needing to be found, Stacey Jones volunteered as captain and the rest is history.

South Sydney Rabbitohs
Souths being such an ancient club pre-dated the invention of the ball. To play the game they were therefore required to pass around a live rabbit. Why didn&#8217;t they kill the rabbit first, you may ask? Well they were far from the smartest people around, hence the extra &#8216;ohs&#8217; in their name. Games rarely lasted the first set of six, as the rabbit soon regained its orientation after the kick off. Yes people really were that dumb one hundred years ago.

North Queensland Cowboys
It&#8217;s a little known fact that players in early Cowboys teams were all film-fanatics. The team merely provided a steady income to fund their true passion; writing film scripts. Being barely literate footy players, logically all their scripts stank. However with the signing of the erudite Jonathon Thurston, finally a script of style and substance was created! It was a small commercial success, you may have heard of it? It starred Heath Gyllenhaal or something....

Sydney City Roosters
Hailing from the Eastern Suburbs, the Sydney Roosters were derided by most of the country as &#8216;c**ks&#8217;, due to their overriding tendency towards wankerhood. Being incredibly thick the Eastern Suburbs players interpreted this to be a term of endearment, and so ran with the name. It was only sanitised in the 90s when they finally woke up to its true connotations. Idiots.

I&#8217;m still searching for a university to publish the above piece of scholarly research. I&#8217;ve written to Oxford and Harvard, with no replies as yet. My only piece of feedback has been an angry letter from Nick Politis, which repeatedly used the words &#8216;libel&#8217; and &#8216;slander&#8217;.

To anyone who's been searching for this real history of your club, just e-mail me. My next work is going to be an article depicting how the game was founded by an alien named Xenu.

Hey that&#8217;s a good idea for a religion....

- - - - -
750 words.

Prince Charles

Juniors
attachment.php

Heroes of Our Darkest Hour

Just mention the words &#8220;Super League&#8221; and for many it conjures memories of Australian Rugby League's darkest hour. Of backstabbing and betrayal, lies, big bucks and false prophesies. No matter which side you were on, there can be no arguing that the split left our great game in tatters and tore wounds that are still healing.

But behind all the misery lies stories of heroism and courage. One such story occurred two years before the Super League competition kicked off. The year was 1995 and the story of "Super League" was now a reality, with more cash and fame on offer than our game had ever dreamt. The ARL, our games governing body, had been quick to act, immediately threatening to ban any players who considered signing with the rebel competition from selection in any representative sides. A threat that carried much weight in what was a World Cup year. But despite the warnings many players, including a galaxy of our games current stars, did sign with Super League and true to their word the ARL disqualified them from representative selection.

Without these players, the Queensland side for that year&#8217;s origin series were dubbed "Fatty's Neviles". A title aimed to make light of the lack of big name players in the Paul Vautin coached side. Despite this, the Maroons managed to take the series three-nil and carve an unforgettable chapter in Rugby League&#8217;s history books.

By the end of the ARL's regular season, with no resolve in the Super League stand-off, the ARL again maintained it's stance on Super League aligned players and sent what many described as a half-strength Australian team to compete in the Rugby League World Cup. The 25 man squad featured just two players from Australia&#8217;s previous World Cup side and was led by one of them in 23 year old Brad Fittler.

Pooled with England, Fiji and South Africa, Australia kicked off the World Cup tournament against host nation England in front of over 41,000 people at Wembley Stadium. An early try to 22 year old Manly back-rower Steve Menzies gave Australia hope but by fulltime England had flexed their muscle and, led by Andy Farrell and Lee Jackson, took the match 20 points to 16.

With 17 players in the squad under the age of 25, it would have been understandable for the Bob Fulton coached Aussies to go into their shell and never recover. Nothing could have been further from the truth as Australia defeated South Africa and Fiji by a combined total of 146 points to 6. It may be easy to dismiss these results, suggesting that they are simply a case of David versus Goliath encounters against two of the weaker nations in the competition. While this may hold much truth, the achievements of the team cannot be ignored. Andrew Johns equalled Michael O&#8217;Conner&#8217;s record of 30 points in one match, also scoring the most points by any player on debut, while his 11 goals against South Africa was the most kicked by any Australian in a test. Fellow Novocastrian Robbie O&#8217;Davis was also impressive, crossing for five tries in the two games.

The wins promoted the Australians into the semis to take on neighbours New Zealand for a spot in the Final against an undefeated England. The match became one of the tightest World Cup encounters ever seen with both sides locked at twenty-all after 80 minutes. Once again, the mettle of these young Australians was to be tested as the game entered extra time. But two tries, including a brilliant solo effort from Fittler propelled the Kangaroos into their tenth consecutive World Cup Final.

The tournament had now come full circle as England and Australia prepared once more for a battle at Wembley. Despite memories from just three weeks earlier and over 66,000 fans cheering against them, Fittler's men played the games of their lives. Down two-nil, the Australian&#8217;s hit back when English mistakes handed a try to Rod Wishart. But shortly after half-time, Australia was struggling to hang on to a two point lead until a deft kick from Fittler saw Tim Brasher pounce and Australia were home. The &#8220;half-strength&#8221; Australians had retained the World Cup for the fifth year in a row.

Too often, this period in Australian Rugby League history is shunned and regarded as the dark days but it is important to remember the enormous efforts made by many players during this time, especially our World Cup heroes of 1995.

750 words between the lines.

Last edited:

edabomb

First Grade
Art Imitates Life

There are two people in the room. One of them has spent his day at the gym, taking his personal best bench press mark up to 117 kilograms. He is now planning to head off on a 3-kilometre run to end his day. The other has spent his day browsing the Internet, taking in all the latest news in the rugby league world. The point of this browsing has been to find a suitable topic to write 750 words on this week. Sure, NRL and Forum Sevens players may seem to have little in common on the surface, but if anything, recent Forums Sevens season have only shown us distinct parallels.

Remember 2005? Star Wars 3: Revenge of the Sith was making us laugh, and the recent loss of Pepsi Blue was making us cry. In the NRL, the Wests Tigers were on their way to a historic premiership. The Tigers played with flair, and a confidence belying their inexperience. The Tigers were not only the eventual premiers; they were also the most exciting side in the competition. In the new millennium the idea that a side could hold both these titles was a revelation, premiership winners had usually been more adept at grounding out close matches than blowing sides off the park (with the exception of the 2001 Newcastle Knights).

2005&#8217;s Forum Sevens season can be summed up in one word: &#8216;Panache&#8217;. The Canberra Raiders side had ridden a wave of consistency into the Grand Final, where they met a side by the name of the Pirates. The Pirates were erratic, but brilliant on their day. They were the Tigers of Forum Sevens, and with the grace of a Benji Marshall flick pass they upset the formulaic Raiders in the final. The NRL and Forum Sevens champions of 2005 were indeed entertainer&#8217;s first, champions second. They both have fallen off the radar in the years since, but their accomplishments will go down in their respective history books.

2006 saw the Brisbane Broncos take the NRL, while the Parramatta Eels triumphed in Sevens. The Broncos seemed to sneak into the Grand Final, and then steal it at the last minute, leaving some of the heavily favoured Melbourne Storm players in tears. This was one of the biggest upsets in Grand Final history, but still nobody seemed particularly interested after the events of 2005. The Eels were the best Forum Sevens side all year and managed to perform under pressure much better than the Storm. In complete honesty 2006 was a forgettable year all round.

There Will Be Blood and No Country For Old Men are two of the most boring movies I can ever remember watching. The most critically acclaimed films of 2007, they lacked the x-factor as far as I was concerned. The 2007 NRL and Forum Sevens seasons similarly failed to deliver. Sure, the Melbourne Storm and Newtown Bluebags were full of stars, but the predictability of their successes failed to capture my imagination. The Storm were favourites from the start and never really faltered through the long season. Their unattractive style of play and lack of any likeable players helped 2007 become the most forgettable season in recent memory.

The Bluebags cruised through the season unbeaten, also never straying from favouritism to win it all. Being a former Bluebag I could take some pleasure in their victory. Although it would seem their heartless player turnover rate meant Willow was the only survivor from my days, it was great the great man win a competition. Willow is undoubtedly the Matt Geyer of Forum Sevens, a true mainstay, except he is also really good.

[FONT=&quot]So what is set to happen in the NRL and Forum Sevens of 2008? Little seems to have changed in the past calendar year, so I will confidently predict the Storm and Bluebags to go back to back and win their Grand Finals. There is one difference this year, however. In years gone by I would have undoubtedly backed the teams with more &#8216;panache&#8217; and entertainment value in both competitions. I will continue to do this in the NRL, where my beloved Canberra Raiders are currently playing the most attractive rugby league in the hemisphere. Unfortunately the Ninjas lack this &#8216;panache&#8217;, and are more a side of solid contributors, somehow trying to scrap their way to the top. So, that&#8217;ll be one dose of panache with a side of hard grafting for 2008, thanks Barkeep.

-----------------------------------------
743 words including title

[/FONT]

Last edited:

Freddo

Juniors
Freddo burst through a tackle, making a run to the tryline

745 Words

$$$$$$$$$$$$

Games of the first NRL Olympiad

I would like to think of myself as a sports fan, but in reality, only a few sports take my fancy. Rugby League my number one, then add a sprinkling of Soccer/Football and Basketball, the rest either bore me or are rarely screened on television. That’s why I like the Olympics (even though the coverage by channel 7 was crap). The Olympics are an assortment of events and talents that get put on show, once every four years, so for two weeks I could watch any sport, knowing that I wont see the majority of them again for a while. Mind you if the sports were readily available week after week, I wouldn’t stay up to watch a women’s Basketball game until 2am.

It got me thinking that maybe the NRL could perhaps stage their own Olympics, once every couple of years. While watching a game you often hear of commentators calling NRL players “supreme athletes” or how with their skill sets could play another game or code with ease. I say stop talking and start doing something about it! Obviously you could scrap the opening and closing ceremonies, it doesn’t seem very Rugby League like, although I could be proven wrong at the World Cup later this year. The Olympiad should be limited to a weekend, as we have to consider that the NRL players are going out of their way putting themselves through the events and risking injury. I would suggest the Australia Day long weekend, as it breaks up the off season, while giving fans the opportunity to travel to the Olympiad.

Taking the event out of Sydney and other capital cities would be ideal to help promote the NRL, as it would bring a collection of stars from every club, competing against each other. However bringing players to the event would be an issue, similar to what the World 7’s event faced with teams sending weakened teams, turning the event into a farce. To combat this I believe if televised the NRL Olympiad would rate very well, and would have networks paying decent money to screen the weekend of sport. A lucrative prize would be the best sweetener, perhaps each club competing in a points system for every event, and the team with the most points at the conclusion of all events awarded a $1 Million bonus, with another $1 Million going to their nominated charity. A scoring system of points 1-16 would be the easiest of keeping score, with the winner scoring 16, while the worst performing side scores a 1, which will dash their hopes at winning the $1 Million. Of course there would have to be rules in place for the games to be a success, a legitimate success. No Melbourne signing Usain Bolt on a two week deal to compete in events or anything, you could however be allowed to use two players outside the top 25 if you wished, similar to the Raiders using Peter Pania in the Footy Show weightlifting challenge…wonder what ever happened to him? Every player in the original top 25 players would have to be used as well, showcasing all players in the club, but no more than 3 events per player.

It would be great having a huge NRL weekend in the off season, with your favourite footy players and teams going head to head in games or sports you never knew they could play. Sports or events like Basketball, Triathlon, Athletics, Swimming, Rowing, Table Tennis, Boxing, Cycling, and maybe even specially created events like beach sprints or even something completely ridiculous like Go-Carting!

The games of the NRL Olympiad would be what I feel the CNTDN are all about, in that it is about peace, love and respect for your fellow man in competition. Who wouldn’t love seeing these athletes like a Greg Inglis have a go at the Triathlon, Basketball or anything different to Rugby League.

While I am not suggesting that it will stop a player exodus to the ESL or anything, a chance at a $1 Million payday, or $40,000 per player to the winning side does sound an attractive prospect for a weekend of work, while promoting the game in a different area every couple of years. A chance to promote the game through different avenues is needed as the game spirals out of control in the media, perhaps the Olympic Spirit has never been more needed in Rugby League.

jamesgould

Juniors
The Good Old Days

It has come to my attention that I am getting older. And the older I get, the more I begin to look back upon the “good old days” with a misty eyed nostalgia. Going through my forum sevens articles this year, almost every one harks back upon a time a few years ago when the game was supposedly so much better. It’s probably the same as it always was … but like a fine wine, the memories of the past tend to improve with age.

So how has my enjoyment of the game changed over the years? When I was a young lad, I was seriously emotionally unstable while the Newcastle Knights were playing. A loss would spin me into several days of sulking. A win and I would be on top of the world for the rest of the week. Once when the Knights lost a game I remember hurling something hard (possibly a golf ball) right at the television screen, as hard as I could - miraculously avoiding any significant damage. The ball was a soft one after that, which was also thrown at the telly it’s fair share of times.

In the current day, any loss is met with endless pontificating on a forum and within my own head. Where can the side improve, is it possible to turn it around next week, etcetera. A win is greeted with satisfaction, but none of the elation that I used to have. It’s probably easier on the people around me, but I do miss the massive high when the team won that I had a decade ago.

I have come to accept that my team is very unlikely to win the competition this year, next year, or any year. When I first became a league fan, I was the eternal optimist. Every season was ours to lose. The team would probably go through the season undefeated, and were my favourites going into every match. I was genuinely surprised when they lost.

Every player in the side was a future rep star. There were no hate campaigns against players. Even if a player makes frequent errors, his occasional spark of brilliance was more than enough to keep him in the starting team. It couldn’t be further from the truth, now. No matter the player’s ability or standing in the team, have a couple of bad games on the trot and he should be banished from the club forever more!

Another plan that has fallen by the wayside is the unerring belief that I was a future star of the game. When you are young you are 100% sure that it will one day be you playing first grade and running the side around the park.

I never actually got around to playing a competitive game of rugby league, but I still held that conviction until after I left school. Not surprisingly it never happened – although like many armchair critics, I’m sure if I had have put the effort in, I could have done it!

I’m not sure that back when I was a kid they were actually simpler times – more like being experienced through a simpler mind. But I think it’s that which I miss the most. The knowledge that come rain, hail or shine, I was going to have a blast each week watching my favourite team play. The ball was going to be thrown all over the park, I had a team full of champions wearing the red and blue (who were unlucky not to win a lot more often) and certain glory was ours at the end of the season.

I now know I’m lucky that my team has won two premierships – if I’d gone with Souths when I randomly picked a team to support then I’d have had one finals series in 17 years to feast on. Norths, and I wouldn’t even have a side any more! I suppose I now view the NRL as a bit of a waiting game … Newcastle surely have to win again sometime in my lifetime – just have to be very patient until that great day takes place!

But then when the Knights do win, there’s the inevitable fall from grace to worry about, as the salary cap tears the team apart. Plus the toll that rep football will take on players as their stocks in the game increase …

Bah … give me back the good old days!

bartman

Immortal
Bartman takes the final hit-up for the Eels in what has been a gripping sudden-death F7s semi-final... best of luck to both teams.

- - - - -

Two Loons In Toulon

0,,6184404,00.jpg

Ok, the dust has settled. Everyone&#8217;s well and truly had their say.

After doing the bolt to France Sonny Bill eventually bought his way out of his five year contract, paying $750,000 gained the freedom to legally play the fifteen-man code under role model Tana Umaga at RC Toulonnais. And his former Bulldogs mates are now back to doing what they have been doing for most of the season &#8211; losing games.

We&#8217;ve sat through the excruciating exclusive Danny Weidler interview on The Footy Show, where even after 60 minutes of footage edited down to the best 25 minutes, Sonny Bill failed to really convince anyone that it was actually &#8220;about them boys, about the young boys coming through, getting a better go, getting a better deal out of things[1].&#8221; Sure thing Sonny Bill.

Some say the game has been left in a state of crisis, with elite players now apparently demanding their managers to Show Them The Money!, but I doubt many (any?) other league stars would consider breaking their contract, deceiving and leaving their teammates midseason to relocate overseas for the chance of a higher income, and pay a high six figure sum to do so. But greed is as greed does, and personally I believe the game that has survived 100 years in this country will continue to survive regardless.

Most fans of the game don&#8217;t want any more analysis of the Sonny Bill situation, such as it was. We just want to get on with the footy, watch this centenary season draw to its conclusion, and then sneak a peak at the first Rugby League World Cup to be decided on these shores for thirty years. There can be few questions about the whole sordid drama that remain unanswered &#8211; or at least few answers that Sonny Bill Williams and Danny Weidler could treat us to that would be worth listening to....

But the thing my mind keeps returning to and wondering about is this &#8211; how on earth did a guy like Sonny Bill (who showed in that Footy Show interview how much of a struggle it was to communicate his thoughts in his native tongue of English) survive that first month in a foreign country, trying to speak some foreign lingo (bro)?

Anthony Mundine made a big deal about how straight after his fight he would fly directly to France to support his &#8220;brother&#8221;[2], and in an exclusive that rivals the reputation of Danny Weidler I can now reveal why &#8211; it was because Sonny Bill had left his personalised French phrase book behind! It was absolutely vital that Choc made a bee-line for Toulon, armed with this helpful resource[3] that would help Sonny-Bill to communicate some of his unique thoughts with the French locals in the following situations....

At customs:
&#8220;Je n'ai rien à déclarer, autre que des lâches suis les gens qui courent loin, et je n'ai pas couru loin.&#8221;
(I have nothing to declare, other than cowards are people that run away, and I haven&#8217;t run away.)

On the bus:
&#8220;Billet simple vers Toulon si vous plais. Que voulez-vous dire tout le salaire de compagnies leurs conducteurs le même montant?&#8221;
(Single ticket to Toulon please. What do you mean all the companies pay their drivers the same amount?)

Introductions:
&#8220;Mon nom est Sonny Bill Williams. Oui, c'est Sonny Bill pas Sonny Garçon.&#8221;
(My name is Sonny Bill Williams. Yes, that&#8217;s Sonny Bill not Sonny Boy.)

&#8220;Que voulez-vous dire, qui est lui? C'est L'Homme! Vous ne connaissez pas L'Homme? Un quel un peu endroit est ceci?&#8221;
(What do you mean, who is he? That&#8217;s The Man! You don&#8217;t know The Man? What kind of a place is this?)

&#8220;Pas, nous ne sommes pas les amoureux gais. L'Homme est mon frère. Bien il ne va pas mon vrai frère, mais est-il&#8230; vous savent-il?&#8221;
(No, we&#8217;re not gay lovers. The Man is my brother. Well he&#8217;s not my real brother, but he is... you know?)

&#8220;Ce type? Il est mon directeur. Bien il ne va pas mon directeur, parce que personne parle pour Sonny Bill. Ainsi il est mon&#8230; ami.&#8221;
(This guy? He&#8217;s my manager. Well he&#8217;s not my manager, because no-one speaks for Sonny Bill. So he&#8217;s my&#8230; friend.)

&#8220;Êtes-vous du dissin ma religion? C'est lui - vis Toulon. Danny, obtiennent nos sacs. Nous sommes hors d'ici!&#8221;
(Are you dissin&#8217; my religion? That&#8217;s it &#8211; screw Toulon. Danny, get my bags bro. We&#8217;re all out of here!)

- - - - -
747 words between the lines

[1] from http://media01.couriermail.com.au/multimedia/2008/08/070808_sonny/transcript.doc
[2] from http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,24141332-5001021,00.html
[3] Sonny Bill's translations via http://babelfish.yahoo.com/

Last edited:

paulquinn49

Bench
PQ for CNTDN

It’s a lose/lose situation

For as long as I can remember International Rugby League has been considered a joke. My first, and last memory of a true International match or series would be the 1994 Kangaroo Tour, in which Australia had to fight back from a game down in the series, a draw not good enough, Ricky Stuart dummies and sets off down the field, looking for the pace of ET to get Australia home, instead he finds his club mate and captain Mal Meninga who bumps off the circling Great Britain defence, to accept a pass and score a famous try, sealing a famous win. Australia went on to win the deciding game with far less drama, and little resistance, still it was a great series and a great advertisement for what International Rugby League was, and should be today.

It has been 14 years since that Ashes Series, many Internationals have been played, and two World Cups have been contested, both going the way of Australia. But while the Internationals have continued and World Cups played, the game has failed to move forward internationally, perhaps even falling further behind than when the last World Cup was played in 2000.

However one cannot question the intention of one Wayne Bennett who was then coach of Australia when he suggested that the Tri Nations Rugby League Tournament should be re-instated as a part of the Rugby League calendar. Convincing the general public it was back on the calendar would prove harder in Australia with the majority of games being played in England due to a lack of interest in the Southern Hemisphere. As expected Australia took the first Tri Nations Tournament with ease, disposing of their competition in much the same way they did in 2000.

The game did however make up some lost ground by having multiple Tri Nations with a more competitive Great Britain, and a New Zealand side that actually pulled off the unthinkable and beat Australia in a final. On the back of the successes of the Tri Nations (As well as the improved form and development of the minnow countries) it was announced that a World Cup was going to be held for the first time in 8 years, in Australia.

Like everything in the modern age the news was met first with negativity and ridiculed, as people claimed that Australia would win easily, New Zealand would claim all the Pacific Nations top talent, and that no one would watch on Television or turn up to the ground to actually watch the game live. It left me thinking that the whole concept of a World Cup was wasted on the people of Australia.

Maybe it should have been taken to Great Britain, again, who actually support their sides. It also offered the chance for the World Cup to be hosted by numerous countries as they are all in close proximity. Countries like Ireland, Scotland, Wales and even France could have hosted a couple of fixtures, drumming up interest in the code as a whole rather than taking the whole World Cup to a country that may not be able to support the cup by themselves. But Australia is better than nothing, and it would be good to go out and support International League in my own backyard.
With that said the criticism keeps coming, two of the tournaments biggest drawcards will not be featuring, as both have left for French Rugby Union in Mark Gasnier of Australia and Sonny Bill Williams of New Zealand.

The big criticism keeps coming back in that Australia look to be virtually unbeatable, and this has been reported so often that if Australia actually do win, the World Cup will look like a joke, if 52,500 are not in the crowd, the general public will have turned on Rugby League. Whatever the result, an Australian win will be met with disdain, an expected win, nothing special.

A loss would in theory be great for the game, but a loss is a loss, this too will be met with a doomsday message. Australia were cocky, they choked, nothing more, nothing less. I feel sorry for all involved in this World Cup campaign as it was intended to be a celebration of Rugby League in it’s centenary year but will end up becoming a lose, lose situation when so many want it to fail, only to say that they were proven right.

Win, win or lose, lose?

745 Words

Hallatia

Referee
[FONT=&quot]Ninjas' Hallatia ... takes the ball in her trademark dieing seconds burst for the line

&#8734;[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Global Support for [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Rugby[/FONT][FONT=&quot] League?[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]It's grand final day, I am on my way to the big game, blending into the crowd as I walk along the Olympic park sprint platform to board the train to Homebush, I walk past a group of people, different nationalities, all giving me the same look, that look of confusion and fear of the unknown, I am no racist, I am an NRL fan... And we need to be confused man! [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Australia[/FONT][FONT=&quot] is a very multicultural nation, but unfortunately the majority of league fans are largely confined to a few races, with the occasional ethnic supporter making the transition to Rugby League. With so much said about disappointing crowds as of late, especially at the government owned ANZ Stadium there is no doubt that the NRL could benefit having a few hundred thousand more fans over the next few years. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]As many people know, sport is a global language and can be found anywhere, in [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Sydney[/FONT][FONT=&quot], for the time being, Rugby League is king and it would be irresponsible of us, as a community; people and sporting, not to go out of our way to include our newest arrivals in a game we hold close to our hearts.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I believe that one of the most important things in deciding whether or not to grant someone citizenship is language. I think that understanding the language of a country is crucial in communicating effectively in that society and thus becoming a valuable member of that society. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]English is not [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Australia[/FONT][FONT=&quot]&#8217;s only main language. The Australian language involves far more than what lies within literature. The language of sport is just a big a part of the Australian vernacular. After all, sport is included in our citizenship test.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I propose a &#8220;national draft&#8221; if someone wants to live somewhere they must first acquaint themselves with the sports. This would also help them communicate effectively within the society they are becoming a part of. In [/FONT][FONT=&quot]New South Wales[/FONT][FONT=&quot] and [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Queensland[/FONT][FONT=&quot] the sport which reigns supreme is Rugby League.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]What we could do is give aspiring new citizens of NSW and Queensland NRL supporter packs and allow them to choose which team to support. We would also include some knowledge of the game in their citizenship test. &#8220;If you want to live in the country you should be able to speak the language.&#8221;[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]From an economic perspective; if we put more of an investment into ensuring an interest in sport it would increase the autonomous consumption and average propensity to consume of all disposable incomes. This would cause a decrease in the leakage of savings and be positive for the economy.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]We do however still have the issue of those people who already live here and do not &#8220;speak the language&#8221;, I was an independent contractor for Optus for 5 weeks during my uni break and the most frustrating thing, was the suburb of Hurstville and the amount of people there who did not speak English.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] I was concerned that I was becoming racist because I felt the activist part in me was being provoked to protest that we introduce legislation that says that nobody can own a house in [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Australia[/FONT][FONT=&quot] without adequate English proficiency. I do not however feel racist when I respond to people who do not like cricket by telling them to leave the country. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]If you are not prepared to speak the language, I would like to see you make a good enough case to be allowed to live here. Speaking English is not just done in self-interest but it also works for social-interest. Likewise learning the language of sport is not just good for the sport, but society as a whole. It benefits the economy in making people spend more money and thus putting more money in the circular flow of income and expenditure. It also benefits society is sport brings everyone together, thus combating the racism I was concerned about.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]In doing this we are giving rugby league to the world. In return, the game becomes much stronger as a result of it, imagine having global competition. Imagine a world where rugby league is in a strong enough competition globally that international rugby league is a real contest. At first all the ethnic people at non-bulldogs games may be a bit overwhelming, but imagine how much better the game and us as people will be as a result of it.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]&#8734;

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]738 words[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Last edited:

Pistol

Coach
Parramatta

MarkInTheStands with A New Face To Parramatta = 86

I actually know a couple of former Anderson protoges. One player in particular, Jason Power, thought Daniel Anderson is the player orientated coach, no matter what his status is. As an outsider, Daniel Anderson would be the perfect choice to coach the Eels. The article itself is solid, some good points made. Solid without killer blow, but a decent dig.

Dean with Dill = 84

The salary cap is certainly going to have its detractors and its supporters. The writing was well presented and had a good structure too it. A sizeable portion of the article seemed too indirect in how the allegory was constructed, however the point became clear in the end.

Minihindy with How The Tigers Got Their Stripes = 89

I really liked this article. Funny, informative, well written. Although I do have to wonder why on earth a man would attach electrodes to his wet genitals??? Did he think it would be a positive outcome?? LOL&#8230;..

Prince Charles with Heroes of Our Darkest Hour = 85

Another look at one of the darkest years in footy. I remember it well. The writing was solid without being outstanding. About fair to middling but the effort was there.

Bartman with Two Loons in Toulon = 86

Sonny Bill confirmed in that interview for a man who speaks fluent English, finds it hard to form a coherent sentence even if he uses two hands a flashlight. I liked the writing, but there was some stages where I felt the writer could have broken it up more. Shall we say &#8220;Je suis de l'opinion que c'était un bon effort. Et je conviens également que Danny Weidler suce sur la pompe de carter de vidange du sensationnel. Travail plein&#8221;

Ninjas

Edabomb with Art Imitates Life = 85

Its funny how life and art are interspersed at the same time in the same situation. Its easy to draw parallels. The writer did that with this piece comparing the F7s and NRL. The writing was decent, however it felt like it was leading up to something big but just didn&#8217;t manage to deliver. The effort put in was great.

Freddo with Games of the first NRL Olympiad = 87

These sort of articles are often hard to bring good flow to. The writer put in a really good effort by using imagination and submitting good ideas to structure a good piece. Having the NRL players playing out of season may be a bit fanciful given the fact they are always using &#8220;player burnout&#8221; as an excuse to skip post season events. Who knows, maybe one day it might happen.

Jamesgould with The Good Old Days = 88

Ahh yes, back when I was a lad I remember the Broncos winning the 1992 Grand Final. I was in Townsville having a good old fashioned BBQ that glorious day. Steve Renouf scored &#8220;that&#8221; try and Alf held aloft the Winfield Cup&#8230;. The writer goes back to the good old days as a kid where the results of the footy game triggered the subsequent events..... ahh memories. (Remember its customary to state your team at the beginning of each post.)

PQ with It&#8217;s a lose/lose situation = 85

International League and the World Cup. It&#8217;s back but as the writer points out, is facing a few hurdles before it can be counted as a success. About fair to middling.

(The Mal try after the Ricky Stuart break came on the 1990 Kangaroo Tour. They did however have to come back from 1-0 down on both occasions.)
http://www.rl1908.com/Kangaroos/1990.htm

Halatia with Global Support for Rugby League? = 77

Rugby League. Is it a global game? The writer explains it in this piece. The structure of the article needs a bit of work. Your opening paragraph is one big long sentence. It really needed to be fragmented. The rest of the article should have a double space between each new paragraph as it makes it easier for the reader to differentiate when a new point is being made or when it is a continuation. The effort is there, its just something you need to be aware of for next time.

Eels defeat the Ninjas

430-422

POTM minihindy

edabomb

First Grade
Congrats Eels and thanks for the marking Pistol.

Who knows if the Ninjas will be back next year, if not then it's been an honour :lol: