What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pre Season

Blues Riff

Bench

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
I like this a lot. Rather than the Boot Camp becoming a distant memory, it brings that mindset into regular training.

I am hoping that the coaching and support staffs have learnt from last year. I thought some of the players in 2019 (not all) were carrying some 'condition'. This year they look fitter. Hopefully this translates unto the footy field.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Also put some unpredictability into things for the players like they get on game day

The comment I liked from Cleary was 'you're never quite sure what was happing in a game, get the used to using a plan B'........
Hopefully lessons have been learnt from players and support staffs.

franklin2323

Immortal
The comment I liked from Cleary was 'you're never quite sure what was happing in a game, get the used to using a plan B'........
Hopefully lessons have been learnt from players and support staffs.

Even back as far as 2010 we have been very limited as far as having a back up plan. So it looks like steps are going to fix that

GoldCoastPather

Juniors

Whino

Bench
The new signing to unlock Cleary and the stagnant Panthers attack
James Hooper
This will be the season we learn whether Panthers young gun Nathan Cleary can step up and be the organising playmaker Penrith need him to be.
The departure of James Maloney means the play-by-play running of the Panthers will now defer to the 22-year-old NSW Origin halfback.

Cleary’s coming of age will be aided by new recruit Api Koroisau, the dummy-half who the Panthers bought to help unlock the club’s stilted attack from last season.
Penrith coach Ivan Cleary confirmed the club has overhauled its attack this summer as the Panthers attempt to try and re-assert themselves as an NRL force.

“Our attack wasn’t where we wanted it to be last season so we plan to have some different dimensions this year,” coach Cleary said.

“Api’s a key signing. He gives us more clarity in our spine as to who’s doing what.

“He’s the most senior member of our spine and he’ll take a large share of responsibility there.

“He plays a certain style out of dummy-half that frees up space for everyone around him.

“That in itself should make us a lot more dangerous.

“It’s pretty clear now Nathan runs the team whereas with Jimmy Maloney it was more of a shared role.”
Assisting Cleary’s transition into the role of dominant playmaker will be two of the all-time great rugby league halves in Panthers deputy chairman Greg Alexander and new assistant coach Trent Barrett.

Barrett will have more of a day-to-day, hands-on role as an assistant coach while Alexander will continue in a mentoring capacity both at Penrith and in the NSW State of Origin camp.

“Baz’s come on board and attacking-wise I think he’ll give the key position players a better understanding of what’s required,” Alexander said.
“Also with no Jimmy Maloney everyone can grow up and evolve and become their own players. Jimmy was a very dominant personality on and off the field and while he was great for us, it’s time for the next generation now.

“Nathan has got some ownership of the team. From what I’ve seen so far he’s looked good with that responsibility.”
Aside from Koroisau, the Panthers also bought smart by recruiting Sharks young gun Kurt Capewell and Kiwi Test forward Zane Tetevano.

In Tetevano, the Panthers gain a seasoned NRL forward who has come out of an outstanding system in back-to-back premiers the Sydney Roosters.

This time last year the Panthers were about to have their season completely derailed by the lewd mobile phone video scandal.

This year there’s been no distractions to date as the club prepares for its first full-season in the post Phil Gould-era.

“We weren’t happy with how it panned out for us last season and I certainly accept responsibility for that,” coach Cleary said.
In terms of captaincy, Cleary said leadership was an area the club needed to develop.

“Leadership is something we need to and want to grow,” Cleary said.

“James Tamou did a great job last season but it’s yet to be determined for this year.”
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...d/news-story/3ab3fd8d4c492c621cc986abaffbc208

Whino

Bench
Cleary says he's not captain material just yet
Margie McDonald Senior Reporter

One day, but not just yet.

Nathan Cleary is taking a patient approach to the question a fair few Panthers fans are asking: "Do you want to captain Penrith?"

The Panthers are yet to name their 2020 captain after James Maloney and then James Tamou took on the roles for the first and second half of the 2019 season respectively.
"I think Jimmy [Tamou] did a really good job last year in tough times … he'd be deserving captain at the moment," Cleary said.

But what of his own ambitions?

"Definitely one day, but I'm not sure when.

"I've kind of been taken into the leadership role, especially the last 12 months, and it's a lot more complex than I first thought.

"I've learned a lot about myself and how to work with others but there's still a long way to go. I'm lucky I've got some senior guys here to learn off so hopefully one day."
One tutor has left in the shape of Maloney.

"It is a big void without him, everyone has been speaking about that. But I think us as a team are in the right kind of space to move forward from that," Cleary said.

"Jimmy has been awesome for me and awesome for the rest of the team, especially the younger guys. He's left his mark on this team and that will go forward for however many years."

Allowing Cleary a little more freedom around his football also happens with the obsession of the father-son relationship being scaled down a fair bit.

"There is already a lot less focus on it. Last year was pretty hectic with how it happened," Cleary said of Ivan Cleary's coaching switch from the Wests Tigers to the Panthers.

"I think me and Dad have found the right balance too. Around here he's the coach and we have conversations about footy and at home it's pretty much as my dad. There is complete trust both ways."

Cleary is entering his fifth NRL season – he could well play his 100th game – so by now he should be comfortable in running the show.
"I'm definitely in the best position to do so now. I've had to run the team in the past but you don't realise how much there is to learn. Even now I think I'm only halfway to the knowledge I need," Cleary said.

"But I've learned a lot in this last 12 months. That's probably where I've learned the most – the ups and downs of footy and how to deal with setbacks. I'm a good position to take the next step forward."

Tipped as contenders last year, Penrith finished 10th after 11 wins.
Cleary is the only Panther in Brad Fittler's NSW Blues squad this season but Penrith's next generation is in the state coach's sights with Matt Burton, Spencer Leniu and Liam Martin in the Emerging Blues squad.

Is the goal of finals football now harder after losing the likes of Maloney, Reagan Campbell-Gillard, Waqa Blake, and Dallin Watene-Zelezniak?

"Not really. We've got a few Kiwis boys and Capes (Kurt Capewell) is in the Queensland squad. It doesn't concern me much in the way individual accolades and achievements are good, it's the way you play as a team," Cleary said.

"We're trying to build that at the moment – teamwork, communication and things like that. Things we weren't great at last year."
https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/02/06/cleary-says-hes-not-captain-material-just-yet/