What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Prediction poll - who will get the 18th team?

Who will be the 18th NRL team?

• Brisbane Firehawks

• Brisbane Jets

• Brisbane other bid (including merged Firehawks/Jets - please specify)

• Perth

• Wellington

• Christchurch

• The Bears

• Other (Please specify)

Results are only viewable after voting.

flippikat

Bench
OK, snap poll.

Who do you PREDICT will be the 18th team, and why?

Not asking your preference, just who you think is most likely. Give reasons if you want.

No peeking before you vote. No do-overs. Make a call.

Let's give that crystal ball a try!

MugaB

Coach
Even though i reckon its most likely NZ2 as chalmers "Southern Orcas" it would be great to see the PNG/Cairns bid "PNG Pride" get up, seems there's a lot if talk around the TV rights in New Zealand these past few days, maybe you need to be in a locality that has access to subscribers to win an NRL licence

Last edited:

flippikat

Bench
Even though i reckon its most likely NZ2 as chalmers "Southern Orcas" it would be great to see the PNG/Cairns bin "PNG Pride" get up, seems there's a lot if talk around the TV rights in New Zealand these past few days, maybe you need to be in a locality that has access to subscribers to win an NRL licence
Yeah, the noise out of NRL HQ seems to be for NZ 2, but a lot can change between the posturing & public statements NOW and what the Chair/CEO/Commissioners think when the decision is made.

It's been pretty well established here what each of us WANTS, but I thought it'd be interesting to set that aside in one thread and just get a "show of hands" for predictions.

The narrative is clearly being steered towards NZ 2.. but the strange thing is there's no active bid (or bids) coming out of here - the Wellington Orcas/Cyclones has dropped off the radar, and there's no sign of any syndicate forming in Christchurch.

Maybe if the NRL wanna get a groundswell movement for NZ2, they could quietly have a word with Christchurch, Wellington & maybe Waikato/Bay of Plenty leagues that NZ is seriously the frontrunner, and they should look at putting together bids.

MugaB

Coach
Yeah, the noise out of NRL HQ seems to be for NZ 2, but a lot can change between the posturing & public statements NOW and what the Chair/CEO/Commissioners think when the decision is made.

It's been pretty well established here what each of us WANTS, but I thought it'd be interesting to set that aside in one thread and just get a "show of hands" for predictions.

The narrative is clearly being steered towards NZ 2.. but the strange thing is there's no active bid (or bids) coming out of here - the Wellington Orcas/Cyclones has dropped off the radar, and there's no sign of any syndicate forming in Christchurch.

Maybe if the NRL wanna get a groundswell movement for NZ2, they could quietly have a word with Christchurch, Wellington & maybe Waikato/Bay of Plenty leagues that NZ is seriously the frontrunner, and they should look at putting together bids.
I just heard a podcast with SEN with chalmers talking about nz2 being viable as long its 2026 and he garners the 50 mill for it

Perth Red

Post Whore
If Vlandys is still in charge nz2, if we’ve got someone with more vision Perth.

ideally we’d have a fully legit open tender process. Let’s see all the bids on the table then the nrl can decide which brings the most For the future of the game.

jim_57

Staff member
NZ 2 if I had to guess but it probably depends how long V’Landys hangs around and who follows him.

The 3 main missing links for the NRL for me are/were Brisbane 2, Perth & NZ 2. Brisbane is done, personal preference would be Perth next but if it’s NZ 2 I wouldn’t be too upset.

As for which NZ2 option I’d lean towards a Christchurch/South Island team playing out of the new stadium there with maybe 1 or 2 elsewhere.

MugaB

Coach

ideally we’d have a fully legit open tender process. Let’s see all the bids on the table then the nrl can decide which brings the most For the future of the game.
Hahahaha open tender.... you're so cute

titoelcolombiano

First Grade

I don't know mate. For me Perth makes a lot of sense as team #18 but NZ 2 doesn't lack vision especially when you consider that the plan is to tap further into a rich resource of playing talent in NZ and put pressure on RU in one of their strongest markets. We seem to have support from TV over there too to help grow the game. NZ2 if done right, (whilst more risky than Perth) could be a masterstroke by the NRL.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade

Mate, what are your thoughts on the NRL starting the club themselves in conjunction with the NZRL similar to what the AFL did with the Gold Coast and GWS clubs? The strategy might be to get TV to fund it, Sky NZ seem to be a willing partner of the growth of the NRL in NZ and there will be more Aus TV money because of the extra games to sell.

The NRL could justify investing their own funds into a project like this because of the increased footprint, the extra TV money and the access to more playing talent from the NZ market.

flippikat

Bench
Mate, what are your thoughts on the NRL starting the club themselves in conjunction with the NZRL similar to what the AFL did with the Gold Coast and GWS clubs? The strategy might be to get TV to fund it, Sky NZ seem to be a willing partner of the growth of the NRL in NZ and there will be more Aus TV money because of the extra games to sell.

The NRL could justify investing their own funds into a project like this because of the increased footprint, the extra TV money and the access to more playing talent from the NZ market.
I think there's a lot of merit in the idea of getting the NRL more involved in NZ league - what exact mix that is, I'm not sure.. but it may bring the kind of hard-edged code-competition attitude that we need to really take on RU.

As for an NZ domestic competition, the biggest problem has always been players. We can have a mix of local journeyman club players & up and comers.. BUT there's a distinct lack of name recognition when it comes to the players.

I've had a think about how to overcome that hurdle, and maybe the solution is to come up with pathways/deals where players at the end of their career go to NZ instead of the Superleague?

For instance, if Benji Marshall (to randomly pull out a name) was set up with a package of sponsorship deals, media work & playing fees to go to a club in a NZ competition for 2-3 years.. play one last year, then retire and become a coach/trainer?

The knowledge those players at the end of their career could pass on to NZ players is invaluable... which helps generate the next crop that will graduate to NRL clubs.

mongoose

Coach

Christchurch Tigers, Christchurch Sharks (im already in trouble with Sharks fans ), Christchurch Sea Eagles, Christchurch Raiders :eek:

MugaB

Coach
Christchurch Tigers, Christchurch Sharks (im already in trouble with Sharks fans ), Christchurch Sea Eagles, Christchurch Raiders :eek:
Christchurch Bears, playing all over country NZ, and one NSO game against manly....
BHawhawhawhawhaaaaaaww

flippikat

Bench
Nah.. use suburban names.. New Brighton Sharks, Sumner Beach Sea-Eagles, Fendalton Roosters etc etc... ;)
Same colors as the local RU crusaders too, pretty befitting that their oval was called rugby league park hehehe
Yeah, in a way think of it as the Crusaders carrying on the rotten tradition of RU seizing RL assets (see also Vichy France)

Perth Red

Post Whore
You may not know but NRL has been cutting funding to NZRL for last few years. Not sure where this new found love for NZ has come from, maybe the Sky extra $'s as thats all Vlandys cares about it seems.