What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Predictions for this week

dragonsman4eva

Juniors
hello everyone, will be an awesome game this week. I think that you guys have got a great chance against us. I hope that both teams can put on a great show and let the game be decided on ability and not on referreing decisions which would be awful. Anyway it will be a great game. Awesome tigers attack against awesome dragons defence. My prediction? well dragons by 4. Anyway good luck but not too much!!

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think the week off could be to the dragons detriment.

I'll say Tigers by 1 in extra time.

Cagey Mac

Bench
I think (but don't know for sure) that there's a dichotomy in your statement madunit
If the week off hurts the Dragons then it's unlikely that an extra time victory would go the Tigers way unless you think that you lose match fitness by taking a week off (it's usually blamed for slow starts)
I predicted a Tigers victory by 1 on the back of closing down Campese's kicking game but Gibbs isn't fast enough to get to Soward who stands deeper.
Farah will need to find room up the middle and earn a high share of offside penalties for the Tigers to get close enough for the Dragons to be vulnerable
Dragons by 10 in a spiteful game, let's hope for no injuries to either team

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Actually, the Tigers have had two games which went the whole distance, and they are becoming accustomed to the pressure.

The Dragons, having an easier run and a week off will not be as used to that pressure, so when it comes down to the crunch, I'd back the Tigers to get the job done.

Dragon's cannot afford a slow start. If the Tigers get a two try start early in the game, the Dragons will struggle to get back into the game.

Gaba

First Grade
I think the week off could be to the dragons detriment.

I'll say Tigers by 1 in extra time.
Dragons are 4 from 4 after a week off under bennett

Tigers last 2 games against the dragons , marshall been contained, that will be the question for the tigers , has sheens got another game plan against the dragons if marshall is contained again.

Vic Mackey

Referee
The last 2 games Marshall has had moris and ayshford as his halfback, he won't be as easily contained with a natural half inside him

Gaba

First Grade
The last 2 games Marshall has had moris and ayshford as his halfback, he won't be as easily contained with a natural half inside him
Fair enough , but this is going to test lui also , he hasnt been against a defence like the dragons .

Going to be interesting

holman

Juniors
Bennett was coach of the Broncos in 2005 and they didn't contain anyone that day 34 to 6 in the semi final.

mrpwnd

Bench
Give the dragons 80 minutes to cut down a tree, they'll spend the first 40 sharpening the axe.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Fair enough , but this is going to test lui also , he hasnt been against a defence like the dragons .

Going to be interesting

Very interesting.

I'm confident Lui can do his job in attack (which is basically to just supply good ball to Marshall, and others) and occasionally kick, its his defence which concerns me. Saints will have their back-rowers running at him all day, so he will need to be switched on. Please no arm grabbing on Saturday.

Also, Lui seems to have struck up a nice combination with Ellis when we are attacking close to the line.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think we need to have Lui defending tighter in, behind Robbie. Plenty of other big blokes around to look after him there.

By shifting him out to the wing with weaker defenders, it takes a weak spot and makes it weaker, it also makes it a bigger target.

Reek_Havoc

Juniors
Prediction ???..........PAIN.....

Afraid to say that the Tigz will hit a brick wall this weekend against a well drilled team who give opposing teams nuthin!

super_coach

First Grade
A team running on emotion and pain killers against a team that is in pristine condition with big self doubt issues. Should be a classic encounter. Although usually these type of contests end up going pear shape.

I really think the dragons will grind us out of the game in a slow painful fashion. Just see our defense having problem containing the dragon forwards especially close to the line.

Lets hope Iam way off the mark

macnaz

Staff member
We need to use Fifita in the FIRST half when we are looking for points, if we cant get around them he gives us the option to go thru them near the line. Also helps hold there defenders in close to cover him and thus may provide more room out wide. I hope the f**k he isnt put on with 10 to go when we need to defend like last week.
My prediction is ... Uum dont have one, but i do think we are more than capable of winning.

Torro

Juniors
The first half will decide who will win. I'm sure Sheens has a few plans up his sleeve for plays. I admit the last time they played, the dragons got our number, but remember that Benjii had no half and our team just wasn't "hardened" compared to now.

I believe Lawrence will learn from some defensive lapses and will put his body on the line more, plus Lui has to watch videos, especially the one when Thurling scored he just bloody sat there and didn't watch the offload from Lars (i think?)

Anyway, I'm sure the dragons are nervous, because like everyone says, Tigers game plans change and this could be their achilles or blessing. Here is hoping that our plays heavily disrupt the dragons defence.

I firmly believe both teams will be nervous, but the dragons will surely be moreso. They haven't really been truly tested since the Raiders loss, so they may come to a slow start.

I won't predict any score, but of course hope the mighty black/white/gold pull through for their second GF shot :)

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
I expect the Tigers to be prepared to tear their own sacks off coming ot of the blocks in order to get points.

On season form, its obvious the Tigers have to score early and in a bunch.

It happened in 05....

We start fast or are in striking distance with 20 to go and I expect we'll come home the stronger. In this scenario, expect plenty of niggling tactics to put Saints out of their groove.

Last edited:

Torro

Juniors
I expect the Tigers to be prepared to tear their own sacks off coming ot of the blocks in order to get points.

On season form, its obvious the Tigers have to score early and in a bunch.

It happened in 05....

We start fast or are in striking distance with 20 to go and I expect we'll come home the stronger. In this scenario, expect plenty of niggling tactics to put Saints out of their groove.

True.. I reckon our "Halatau '05" will be Ellis '10. Can imagine he will have a blinder of a game.

Bricey

Juniors
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Overall Head-to-head Records[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Played 19; St George Illawarra 10, Wests Tigers 9[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Head-to-head at Telstra Stadium[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Played 5; Wests Tigers 3, St George Illawarra 2[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Record Crowd these Clubs (Excludes Finals)[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]42017 at Telstra Stadium, 15/3/2003 (Rd 1), Wests Tigers Won 24 - 20[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Last 10 Games Head-to-head: Played 10; Wests Tigers 6, St George Illawarra 4

I think there is something in that for all of us..... dont you?
[/FONT]