1. Grand Final Edition OUT NOW:

The 2020 NRL & NRLW Grand Final edition of The Front Row, our exclusive online e-magazine and match programme for Sunday's Grand Final Day! Also includes Super League Round 17 and 18 squads.

The Grand Final edition brings you special stories from each camp - Paul Jobber chats with Panthers legend Scott Sattler recounts his famous moment in the sides 2003 title win and looks to the current crop of Penrith players; while Rob Crosby looks at Josh Addo-Carr as he laces up for what could be his final Storm game. Rick Edgerton has a Clive Churchill Medal guide, while Joshua Wells speaks to Brisbane NRLW star Millie Boyle as the Broncos cruise toward a Women's threepeat on Sunday.

Add to that all the regular features you've come to expect - the programme for both Grand Final Day matches along with teamlists and details for Rounds 17 and 18 of the Super League - and you have one fantastic 32-page magazine for your Grand Final reading!

EDITION 22 - READ NOW!

Guest, click here to read online or download your free PDF copy

Preferred Bench and individual roles

Discussion in 'St George Illawarra Dragons' started by dragonsman4eva, Dec 31, 2016.

1. dragonsman4eva

dragonsman4eva Juniors

The bench of a team has become extremely important to the success of all teams.

My bench for 2017 would be

14.Leilua - Can really become a massive strike weapon for us. I would inject him into the game after 30 minutes on the left edge replacing JT. Leilua can play the rest of the game out on the edge while Thommo can come off the bench and play middle or replace Leilua if needed

15.Host- Can play edge or middle. I don't have a preference as to where his best position is. He can provide good impact to give our front rowers a spell and continue the momentum of Packer and PV (My preferred 8 & 10)

16.Sele- Solely middle player is where he does his best work. Can lift tempo of the game massively after 20-25 minutes. Really excited about this boys future!

17.Sims- Traditonally an edge player but did well at 8,10,13 for us. Would play a similar role to Hame.

To add to this I was impressed with the Reece Robson and I am a massive fan of his work where he is a dynamic hooker but also plays lock and doesn't take a backward step. I would give him a couple of months in the cutters before elevating him to FG bench

I'm obviously relying on Mciness to play 80 minutes and I think he can do a great job that we have needed to be done for a long time!

Most of all, I think these 4-5 players can keep the momentum going from our starting pack and continue throughout the game.

Would love to know everyone's thoughts! Thanks

2. BrissyRedV

BrissyRedV Bench

Starting pack:
    8. Packer
    9. McInnes
    10. LAH
    11. Thompson
    12. Frizz
    13. JDB

14. Vaughan - middle
    15. Sims - middle
    16. Leilua/Host - I think carrying 2 edge players on the bench would be a waste
    17. Havili - back up hooker but showed he can play 13. with the Cutters quite well.

3. Objective View

Objective View Bench

As long as only 3 of the 4 bench players are used during any given game - all good.

Straight Shooter

Dragon Revival likes this.
  4. Country Dragon

Country Dragon Juniors

Like this pack but would like to see Vaughan starting for Ah Mau and Masoe on the bench if/when fit!

5. Dragon Revival

Dragon Revival Juniors

I think that Ah Mau is past it and would use Masoe. Sele has limited talents at this stage.

6. dragonssamy61

dragonssamy61 First Grade

Agree brissy spot on.
    Against bigger pack would start Vaughan with LAM of bench.
    When masoe ready.
    I would have him instead of lam

Gareth67 and ChargingPatJarvis like this.
  7. coast_dragons

coast_dragons Coach

Masoe is a bust imo.

Walpole likes this.
  8. roach_83

roach_83 Juniors

8. Packer
    9. McInnes
    10. Vaughan
    11. Frizell
    12. Thompson
    13. Sims

14. JDB
    15. Leilua
    16. Masoe (when fit)
    17. Host

Gareth67, Dragsters and dragonssamy61 like this.
  9. coastiedragon

coastiedragon Juniors

Same as above
    Lam not in my 17
    I think he got to comfortable knowing mary wouldnt pick anyone else think big wakeman had more ticker imo

10. Saint_JimmyG

Saint_JimmyG First Grade

IMO, every bench needs to have that 'triangle' player...for want of a better term...who can filled in various positions at the 'drop of the hat'.

This is particularly important considering McGregor's manipulation of the reserves is exceptionally poor, and can even be non existent.

We all know who I believe should be in the 17.

11. BrissyRedV

BrissyRedV Bench

Just on LAM, I think he is being a bit harshly judged. He may have been slightly down on form last year, but his output was similar to that of Packers per game. Our main issue I see with our props last year is that we lacked decent bench options to continue the roll and the poor use of the interchange by Mary.
    LAM
    AVG per game All runs 10.6 Run Meters 101.3 Hit ups 9.7 Offloads 0.5 Tackles 23 Avg minutes 40
    Packer
    AVG per game All runs 10.4 Run meters 102.8 Hit ups 8.2 Offloads 0.7 Tackles 24.8 Avg minutes 40
    Source NRL.com

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
    dragonssamy61 and Gareth67 like this.
  12. BrissyRedV

BrissyRedV Bench

I agree. I went with Havili in my selections over say Marketo purely because I believe we would get better impact from him from the bench both as a hooker and a backrower.

dragonssamy61, Saint_JimmyG and emu62 like this.
  13. KiamaSaint

KiamaSaint Coach

What, no Marketo??? You're all bonkers.

14. JohnnoMcJohnno

JohnnoMcJohnno Juniors

First let me just say I'm fine with you quoting stats without quoting the source. I'm sure they're accurate. Big Leeson certainly seemed down on form or else victim to McGregors game tactics. In the past he used to make the odd bust but last year I can't remember any. Still our best option if Masoe not available.

15. BrissyRedV

BrissyRedV Bench

My apologies, source is NRL.com

16. BrissyRedV

BrissyRedV Bench

I believe he is a victim as are many in the team. I do recall a bust I think against the Tits but its hard to recall any highlights from any player really after such a dismal season.

dragonssamy61 likes this.
  17. Dragsters

Dragsters Bench

Nailed it roach!

18. TomRedVRiver

TomRedVRiver Bench

I'd try something a little bit different
    8. Packer
    9. Mcinnes
    10. Vaughan
    11. Thompson
    12. Leilua
    13. Frizell

14. Sims
    15. Masoe (when fit)
    16. Host
    17. JDB

I think that the coach needs to do whatever it takes to get Frizell playing lock. He is our best forward by a long way and he displayed in Origin II that he could be incredible playing 13. He was the best player on the park that game and moving forward I think he'll be wasted on the edge. Whilst I completely admit he is a really dynamic edge forward, I just think he needs to be on the park for 80 minutes.
    Leilua and Host can rotate that right edge, Ah Mau doesn't make my side.

19. Old Timer

Old Timer Coach

The bench will be totally dependent on the style of football we play this year and how long we play that style for.
    If we play the "D" game then it will be big bodies and no brains and Leilua and Host will be on the bench at best with one probably missing out they would be used totally at the wrong time just like 2016.
    If he goes with an attacking style then surely Leilua will have to take up a starting LH position so maybe JT gets relocated to lock or the bench.
    Masoe will be shot duck until at least round 8 and maybe longer.
    He will need to have a few runs in the Cutters to get some match fitness as putting him straight into NRL would be ludicrous, so in hindsight that is probably the very thing that will happen.

20. Eatons Hill Dragon

Eatons Hill Dragon Juniors

Agree with this 100%, great pack.