What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Preferred Finals Format

FINALS FORMAT

• Top 5

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Top 6

• Top 7

• Top 8

• Total voters
I prefer anything other than the current top 8 with 15 teams! Top 7 at most, go to 8 if they bring in a 16th team.

But there was nothing quite like the good old top 5. Plus, it was much more fair.

Southernsaint

Staff member
A final 5 is my prefered finals format. But the television companies like the extra games that a top 8 generates...

Cheers,
Ben S.

m0j0

Bench
Always preferred the Top 5, which is good for a 12-14 team comp, however, with the added teams I'd like to see how a top 6 would go. Top 8 is ridiculous - finals should be about the elite teams, not more than half the field.

pcpp

Juniors
Definitely Top 8. But I kinda like AFL's final 8 system more than the Mcintyre crap.

DJ Raida

Bench
top 8, noone likes to see their team not make the finals, and with top 5 there would be plenty of that : /

yer i say the top 8 but not the current way i like the way the afl does it it is alot closer the way they do it not 1-8 which can turn into a floging but 1-4 which has a better chance of a good game

Southernsaint

Staff member
I can't see the benefit from a football point of view. Teams with a losing record can make the finals, it's a joke...

The current top 8 system also doesn't reward the Minor Premiers...

Cheers,
Ben S.

weasel

First Grade
Looking at the current table makes me think that top eight is probably too many sides. The West Tigers, currently eighth, have been outscored 167-10 in four games against the Roosters and Dragons this season. They shouldn't be anywhere near the finals. Top 5 is probably just a little too small, I'd favour either a top six or maybe a top seven so a smokey like the Cowboys or Sharks can get some final experience.

salivor

First Grade
I think the top 5 is easily the best finals system but I can understand why the NRL want to keep as many teams hopes alive as long as possible to keep interest in the game. Instead of reducing the finals format I think we should just expand the number of teams 8) .

JoeysWheelchair

Juniors
Eye of the Tiger said:
yer i say the top 8 but not the current way i like the way the afl does it it is alot closer the way they do it not 1-8 which can turn into a floging but 1-4 which has a better chance of a good game

I agree. That is what I have always thought it should be.

Teams 1-4 get a second chance if they lose, teams 5-8 are eliminated if they lose. The good old 8th spot will hardly ever advance when they face the minor premiers first round. 7th don't stand much of a chance either, so what is the point? They may as well make the games close, and the competition interesting. In the current format, you could come 3rd and miss the minor premiership by 1 or 2 points, but if u lose first round of the finals your season could be over. If you finish top 4, you should gain the rewards of a second chance in the finals, with also an easier chance at reaching the final. That is my opinion.

_A_J_Gray_

Juniors
Yeah take the AFL system (ARL used it once too I think around 96).

I like the old top 5. However the top 8 has advantages to I guess, I mean you would loose alot of interest around this time of year from alot of sides.

And BTW dont pick on the Tigers specifically, if they end up making the 8 they will deserve it more than the 6 teams who they get in front of.

dougthelegend

Juniors
top 8 - AFL style.

that way the matches would theoretically be a lot closer - 1 V 4 one would presume would be a lot closer match than 1 v 8...

Latest posts