What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Preferred Finals Format

FINALS FORMAT

• Top 5

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Top 6

• Top 7

• Top 8

• Total voters

paulyt

Juniors
Top 7 atm. Top 8 when the 16th team comes. Definetly not McIntyre system though. It's rubbish.

blaine train

Juniors
top eight gives teams an oppourtunity to lower teams to have finals experience and they become much better thanks to that experience

lockyno1

Post Whore
Top 8, because it is not going to change because of TV companies.

However the AFL system is better, it actually rewards teams that come 1-4.

Have

1v4, 2v3 (qualification finals, winners get week off straight to preliminary finals)

5v8,6v7 (elimitaion finals, losers are out, winners go on to face the losers of the qualification finals)

Bengal

Juniors
lockyno1 said:

Have

1v4, 2v3 (qualification finals, winners get week off straight to preliminary finals)

5v8,6v7 (elimitaion finals, losers are out, winners go on to face the losers of the qualification finals)

This looks good.

On top of this here's another way to reward the higher qualified teams.
Instead of golden point, if the score is tied after 80 mins then the higher qualified side advances to the next round.
So the lower side has to win within 80 mins, where as the higher qualified side gets the added bonus of only having to draw to advance (Grand Final not withstanding).

My choice is for the Top eight because it keeps more people interested in the competition and for a longer period, which is ultimately better for the game.

Jux

Juniors
I think a top 7 would be the best alternative ATM, if structured correctly.

A top 7 would neutralise most of the complaints I have read.

The format would be :
Week 1: minor premiers bye with 2 v 7, 3 v 6 and 4 v 5. Home ground advantage to 2, 3 and 4. Losers eliminated.

Week 2 : minor premiers v highest ranked winner (winner to GF); other two winners (loser gone).

Week 3 : loser of minor premiers game v winner of other game (winner to GF)

Week 4 : Grand final

Benefits -
1. Minor Premiers well and truly rewarded with only one win to get to GF and second chance if a loss.

2. Very similar to the top 5 system that most people prefer.

3. Less than half the teams make the playoffs so less likely that a team with a losing season will make it (yet still incentive for plenty of teams to reach playoffs and thus not killing all interest to far out from September).

4. Still four weeks of playoffs.

5. Top teams get home advantage.

6. EVERY game has meaning.

Disadvantages - none (it is my system afterall ;-) )

lockyno1 said:

Have

Yeah, I agree.

The ARL had it that way in seasons 1995 and 1996.

Latest posts