What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Preliminary Final - Panthers vs Rabbitohs: Saturday 24th September 7:50pm @Accor Stadium

age.s

First Grade
Got no hate for the Bunnies. My late uncle was a fan and I always had good footy chats with him. Latrell and Walker are wankers, but Murray is just about my favorite non Panther of the last decade and dudes like Johnston and Cook are good eggs. I like seeing Sele getting a run too, he was hard done by here imo.

I think we get you on Saturday (it's just what we do), but I think it'll be tough and if we have an off night you're one of the few teams in this comp who can properly capitalise. If you do win I'd prefer you taking the whole thing over little brother or a Queensland team.

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
Got no hate for the Bunnies. My late uncle was a fan and I always had good footy chats with him. Latrell and Walker are wankers, but Murray is just about my favorite non Panther of the last decade and dudes like Johnston and Cook are good eggs. I like seeing Sele getting a run too, he was hard done by here imo.

I think we get you on Saturday (it's just what we do), but I think it'll be tough and if we have an off night you're one of the few teams in this comp who can properly capitalise. If you do win I'd prefer you taking the whole thing over little brother or a Queensland team.
I agree except for your comment about Latrell and Cody but you are entitled to your opinion.
If we do win, I see us as a massive chance for no.22 but this week is a massive ask

soc123_au

Staff member
I agree except for your comment about Latrell and Cody but you are entitled to your opinion.
If we do win, I see us as a massive chance for no.22 but this week is a massive ask
I think you need to be a fan of the club certain players play for to look past the wankerism. I love Luai, but I reckon I'd find him very punchable if had come through somewhere else. Soward is a good example, I always thought he was a pretty good player, but also a massive knob. I adored the bloke when he played for us, His 2014 season secured him a place in my heart for all time.

I enjoy watching Latrell play when he is on, I also like that he has the balls to say what he thinks, even if I don't agree with it. I don't like the race card being pulled as often as he does it, but I also understand that his upbringing and experiences are much different to what I had, so his point of view is going to be different. It's the grubby unnecessary shit on the field that puts him in the wanker category for me though, same as Cody.

Blues Riff

Bench
I think you need to be a fan of the club certain players play for to look past the wankerism. I love Luai, but I reckon I'd find him very punchable if had come through somewhere else.
Absolutely. My avatar was chosen for maximum irritation.

callmack1

Staff member

Steenson123

Juniors
P

Penrith have won 20+ or more regular season contests for 3 consecutive seasons. That's quite remarkable in itself kudos to the players. Coversely, this is our squad's fifth consecutive QGF/Final, a huge achievement too. Further our playoff form has been clearly at the summit: two game averaging 34 ppg and conceeding only 13ppg. Against Easts, we had 11 men for 20 minutes as Cooper Cronk has rightly emphasized. Yet Easts were probably the form side entering the post-season and many saw them as the only possible danger to Iron Man. Hence that V there was highly meritorious, though there were costs incurred. Perhaps too little has been spoken about that performance.
Looking at the post-season contests a year ago, we have every chance given Mitchell's absence and the fact Penrith scored 6 points from a 45 yard pick. In those two epic play off contests the aggregate score was in Souths' favour 28-24. That's extremely difficult to do given Penrith's lofty stature and capability. Further, in the last meeting, yes Penrith missed their two halves but the rest were there [save Fishhead] BUT we should have piled 30 or more on Penrith and Mitchell was nowhere near 100%. Again, that is very difficult to do against such an elite squad.
My conclusion is that we have every chance to sink Penrith provided 1. The players are not significantly damaged physically 2. The quantum of enforced errors and turnovers are minimised. Should we continually turnover Iron Man's high punts its done, no squad could survive that. He was however neutralised in the final SOO game so it can be done.
Tactics should be to target Iron Man from the get go and put him off. If the guy is comfortable and his forwards dominate we may as well Jeter L'eponge. Penrith for all their winning has a very simple formula. Imtimidate and asphixiate the opponent in their tight corner and wait for their errors. However empirical evidence in recent post-season contests has shown that we know how to play and beat them. Provided conditions 1 & 2 listed above are given a tick, then this is a tight, close struggle, much closer that what is generally argued. And if so, the maligned outsider can triumph. Gasperini did it against the "special one" Mourhino, Dallas did it against Joe Burrow when totally written off. It CAN happen.

callmack1

Staff member

callmack1

Staff member
From Sporting News,

Can South Sydney become just the third team to win a Premiership from outside the top four?

History has a tendency to repeat itself, with rugby league no exception as it often unfurls in all-too-familiar patterns. The Brisbane Broncos will be beaten handsomely by the Melbourne Storm, Ricky Stuart will have the air of a man - in his post-match presser - who has been wronged regardless of the result and no team outside of the top-four will lay their hands on the premiership trophy.

South Sydney is the latest side which believes it can beat the odds. They are about to test their luck when they meet with Penrith in Saturday’s preliminary final.

“I’ve never watched it. I lived it, so I remember it pretty well,” Damien Cook said in the build-up to their much-anticipated clash.

The No.9 was talking about the last significant time the two teams shared the stage – grand final day 2021. The Bunnies fell agonisingly short against the Panthers, losing by two points with an intercept try from Stephen Crichton proving the difference.

“I remember the feeling of it after the game, too. I’ve definitely used it to come back in the pre-season a lot hungrier.”

The Bunnies enter into this weekend’s clash knowing that history is stacked against them. Since 1908, 111 of the 113 teams to have won the premiership have done so having finished the regular season inside the top-four.

It is why coaches plan their whole year around gaining entry into that exclusive club in the penthouse suite of the ladder.

From there, they can see their title tilt expand before them on the horizon. Their vision not obscured by sudden death matches week after week, before they even get to the big dance.

This is the proposition the Bunnies have had to live with for some time. They had to make up ground to even finish in the top-eight, due to their slow start.

To their credit, they improved significantly at the midway point of the year when their talisman Latrell Mitchell returned to the side. They ended up in 7th spot with an elimination final against the Roosters their reward.

They got through that test, before then easily dispatching with the Cronulla Sharks to book their fifth consecutive appearance in the preliminary finals.

“It means nothing if you don’t give yourself a chance of going on to win it,” Cook said of Souths’ making a habit out of reaching the prelims.

“We’ll be using our experience from the past.”

The Rabbitohs should also draw inspiration from the past, in the form of a team who won the comp nearly three decades ago.

The parallels between the Bunnies and the premiership-winning Canterbury side from 1995 can be easily traced. That Bulldogs outfit also knew what it felt like to lose a grand final, having been beaten by the star-studded Raiders the previous season.

They surged through the finals the following year, winning three do-or-die clashes, before beating the heavily-favoured Manly Sea Eagles 17-4 to claim the premiership.

It was a remarkable run which Souths will be hoping to emulate. Although, they'll certainly have their work cut out for them as the Bulldogs remain one of only two teams to ever claim the premiership after finishing outside of the top-four.

Two years before Terry Lamb held the trophy aloft, Brisbane became the first team to achieve the feat. It capped back-to-back premierships for the Wayne Bennett coached side.

Both of these outliers shared a common thread of having had recent premiership experience before they beat the odds. South Sydney has this too, having tasted defeat in last year's grand final.

There aren't many others who know the hardships of falling short quite as intimately as the Bunnies. After all, they have reached the preliminary finals in five consecutive years yet still have zero trophies to show for it.

You can look to the absence of Mitchell for their past two finals series and wonder what might have been.

A torn hamstring in 2020 brought a premature end to his season, while his ugly tackle on Joey Manu the following campaign ruled him out of making the third grand final appearance of his career. But there is no use now in dwelling in the past.

“Losing that game last year by two points, obviously a lot goes into it physically and mentally throughout the year,” Cook said.

“There had been a few years building up to that game, so to fall short you never want to have that feeling again.

“There’s no doubt that you use that motivation of wanting to get yourself back there and not miss another opportunity to win a grand final.”

Brisbane finished fifth when they bucked the trend for the first time ever in 1993, while the Bulldogs came in sixth two years later. The Rabbitohs will have to go one better and do it from seventh, although if history has taught us anything it’s that it has a tendency to eventually repeat itself.

Frankus

Juniors
My old boy is a souths supporter. When I was 6 he said I could support souths or leave home. So I left.

We will bash the soft bunnies middle into submission.

Penrith by plenty.

Steenson123

Juniors
Why are you so timid?
I remind you that WE have by far the bEST Post-Season perfromance this term. Its not even close. Two games 34 ppg for and 13 ppg against. Further, 20 minutes with 11 players against Easts, THE form squad entering post-season. Yet we only conceeded 14 against a white hot outfit which had not been defeated for 9 weeks! Last post-season we outscored Penrith 28-24 and most likely should have sunk them in the GF, given they took the lead from a fluckish 45m pick-6 and Mitchell was not there.
I have backed teams that look unbeatable. One year Minnesota Vikings went 16-1 coming into the Championship game at Home. They scored at will for 4 months belting everyone but they LOST to a tough committed Atlanta Falcons who most gave Zero chance. Yet they won running away by 10. I was stunned BUT it happens. The estimed 49ers in the 1990s with Steve Young leading them they too went a mighty 14-2 but LOST at home in post-season action. There are numerous other examples. It happens.

Last edited:

Steenson123

Juniors
I dis
My old boy is a souths supporter. When I was 6 he said I could support souths or leave home. So I left.

We will bash the soft bunnies middle into submission.

Penrith by plenty.
I disagree completely. If we were to crumble - to anyone- that would have happened weeks ago, not now.
You write as if you are still around 6.
Why don't you go and place whatever readies you have on Penrith to do as you believe? Back your mouth with the dough. Go ahead.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Revenge. They say it's a dish best served cold and well; I'm hoping Souths' revenge will be ice cold as we run red hot in this one. This week, it's all about revenge. We take on the Panthers in an absolutely massive Preliminary Final on Saturday night. It's an amazing achievement to get this far no doubt, our fifth Prelim in a row, but we don't want to stop there. A shot at real glory in the Grand Final awaits the winner of this one with the loser going home. The game couldn't be bigger, and the stakes couldn't be higher. The pressure couldn't be higher. This is one of the biggest games in the history of our club on Saturday night.

As I said, it's all about revenge. They've got one over us and ended our Season in heartbreak the last two years. Losing the 2020 Prelim and then the 2021 Grand Final to them hurt really, really bad. In fact, it still burns me to this day and I'm sure it's the same for the players. So, we need to really channel that hurt this week, channel that feeling and use it as the biggest driver and motivator in this game. If we could somehow get one over them to advance to the Grand Final, not only would it be one of our greatest wins ever, but it would be sweet, sweet revenge. It's no secret I hate Penrith, so much so that they're honestly getting up there with the Roosters in terms of most hated. They're arrogant, cocky, self-entitled pricks. Our rivalry with them has become huge and I'd just love to get one over them.

As much as I hate them, there is unfortunately no denying that they're the benchmark team this year. The Panthers have been so far ahead of everyone else it's barely even a contest. They have one hell of a team lead by superstars like Cleary, To'o, Crichton, Edwards, Yeo, Fisher-Harris, Koroisau; The list honestly just goes on and on. Everywhere you look, there's a quality player there. They have so few weaknesses. In saying that, the Finals are a different competition, and we are capable of beating them! The key no doubt lies in the forward pack. Many times in recent years that we've played, and they've beaten us, it's often been as a direct result of losing the battle through the middle. We cannot let that happen this week. Gotta match them and match them hard or we'll be no chance.

For us this week, it's all about not letting the emotion and pressure get to us. No doubt this is a huge occasion, and we can't let it over awe us. Of course, in a Prelim, you want to be emotional, you have to be emotional in these big games but it's important we don't overcook it. Of course, use that revenge to motivate us but don't become clouded by it. It's a fine line to walk but I trust the squad and coaching staff to get it just right for this one. We also need to get our performance just right. There's no doubt that beating the Panthers in a Final is one of the toughest tasks in the game, but it can be done. We must be near perfect though if we are to be any chance. Despite being dominant, our completion rate was terrible in the Semi, and we can't repeat that again. Complete high and don't gift them opportunities or they'll make us pay. On another note, our defence has been on song in recent weeks but it faces its toughest test of all this week. Will we stand up in that regard? Time will tell.

This is war with a Grand Final spot on the line. It's absolute war. I've never wanted to win a game so bad in my life, I've never wanted to get revenge so bad in my life. Souths are capable, we can bloody do this, and the boys know it. It would have to be one for the ages, but we can do it! The belief in this team is incredible. Let's hope that belief carries us into another Grand Final. We're on the edge of potential greatness and hopefully, our time has finally come. Lessssgoooooo!!

Ive never wanted a win so badly as a supporter. Knocking out the Roosters would have to come second to knocking out Penrith.

I f**king love the chat in here.

For me its a shame that these 2 teams are playing in the preliminary final and not the grand final because we are the best 2 teams left in the competition.

In my opinion Souths have a lot more to play for than the Panthers. The Panthers have proved theyve been the best team over the past couple of years.

I dont really care about arrogance. Supporters have been calling us arrogant for years. I think both teams carry a lot of pride in their jersey and thats built on the clubs culture. Penrith and Souths both have a really good culture.

The boys just HAVE to get up for this.