What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Preliminary Final - Panthers vs Rabbitohs: Saturday 24th September 7:50pm @Accor Stadium

Michael Matral

Juniors
All quiet on the Souths forum front during this game..great season by the way..no smug at all..you guys surprised a lot of pundits..you should be proud of your team..tough..uncompromising..skillful

Last edited:

Runrabbit14

Juniors
The missed tackles and lack of game management came back to bite us particularly late in the second half - the game was lost in that 5 last minutes !!

Against a more ruthless forward pack we missed Havili and Tom. Last week showed more about Cronulla having a bad day than us being good.

A missed opportunity because we would have liked our chances up against the Eels.

Frankus

Juniors
I dis

I disagree completely. If we were to crumble - to anyone- that would have happened weeks ago, not now.
You write as if you are still around 6.
Why don't you go and place whatever readies you have on Penrith to do as you believe? Back your mouth with the dough. Go ahead.
Easy work. Enjoy Mad Monday.

Well there is always next year - score flattered Souths in the end - at least 2 Penrith tries should have been tries - ridiculous decisions - Staines and Crichton no tries.

5 prelims and only one GF appearance sums it up

Was Mitchell still on his farm as he had a very limited involvement

One has to say he is not even in the best 5 fullbacks and better suited at centre as that is where he will play rep footy if selected in those teams.

5 Better fullbacks at least

Tedesco
Turbo
Papenhuyzen
Gutho
Edwards

Last edited:

Rabbits20

Immortal
Whilst it stings a lot to lose in the prelim I have to put it into perspective.

I’m still very proud of the whole club we had a fantastic season. It was always gonna be a very tough ask tonight The boys did their best.

We lost Wayne Bennett, Reyno, Gagai and we still made a prelim gotta be happy with that.

Unfortunately I think Penrith are going back to back but I’ll be hoping Parra can do it next week.

Cameron Murray what a player he couldn’t even walk at the end 53 tackles 21 for 160 metres he just doesn’t stop I’m so proud he’s our Captain he leads with his actions.

Penrith too good tonight they thoroughly deserved to win. We needed 12-0 at half time to have a chance.

Michael Matral

Juniors
A

And in 56 or so years dopey Penrith has what 3 Titles? Like Melbourne Penriuth will soon hit the cliff going down.. Its just a matter of time. They will do themselves in as Alexander and Geyer Izzard et al did in the early 90s. Its in their Westie mentality.
Not today merkin.. not today!

Runrabbit14

Juniors
Whilst it stings a lot to lose in the prelim I have to put it into perspective.

I’m still very proud of the whole club we had a fantastic season. It was always gonna be a very tough ask tonight The boys did their best.

We lost Wayne Bennett, Reyno, Gagai and we still made a prelim gotta be happy with that.

Unfortunately I think Penrith are going back to back but I’ll be hoping Parra can do it next week.

Cameron Murray what a player he couldn’t even walk at the end 53 tackles 21 for 160 metres he just doesn’t stop I’m so proud he’s our Captain he leads with his actions.

Penrith too good tonight they thoroughly deserved to win. We needed 12-0 at half time to have a chance.
Well said R20 as Murray played himself to a standstill….

Coukd have have gone in at halftime up 13-6 but came up with a feather duster.

For the money Cookie is on JD needs to get more out of him than 40-50 tackles each week.

Next year I would like to see Taafe given more consistent game time as he has served his apprenticeship and can add a spark…..

Michael Matral

Juniors
I don’t visit other sites very often by thought I’d stick my head in to wish the Rabbits and their loyal fans all the best.

Whilst my heart will always be with my beloved Dragons I have a soft spot for the Bunnies (I loathed our lot when they voted you guys out thank god for GP) and saw many a great battle between these 2 great sides at the SCG.

Hopefully you pump the precocious, painful, parasitic Panthers and make the big one on GF day.

I am also wishing the Eels success against the Cowboys as I would love to see 2 old long standing Sydney teams battle it out.

Go Latrell give them a touch up.
Suck a fart Dragons supporter..battle of the West coming up..

Michael Matral

Juniors
P

Penrith have won 20+ or more regular season contests for 3 consecutive seasons. That's quite remarkable in itself kudos to the players. Coversely, this is our squad's fifth consecutive QGF/Final, a huge achievement too. Further our playoff form has been clearly at the summit: two game averaging 34 ppg and conceeding only 13ppg. Against Easts, we had 11 men for 20 minutes as Cooper Cronk has rightly emphasized. Yet Easts were probably the form side entering the post-season and many saw them as the only possible danger to Iron Man. Hence that V there was highly meritorious, though there were costs incurred. Perhaps too little has been spoken about that performance.
Looking at the post-season contests a year ago, we have every chance given Mitchell's absence and the fact Penrith scored 6 points from a 45 yard pick. In those two epic play off contests the aggregate score was in Souths' favour 28-24. That's extremely difficult to do given Penrith's lofty stature and capability. Further, in the last meeting, yes Penrith missed their two halves but the rest were there [save Fishhead] BUT we should have piled 30 or more on Penrith and Mitchell was nowhere near 100%. Again, that is very difficult to do against such an elite squad.
My conclusion is that we have every chance to sink Penrith provided 1. The players are not significantly damaged physically 2. The quantum of enforced errors and turnovers are minimised. Should we continually turnover Iron Man's high punts its done, no squad could survive that. He was however neutralised in the final SOO game so it can be done.
Tactics should be to target Iron Man from the get go and put him off. If the guy is comfortable and his forwards dominate we may as well Jeter L'eponge. Penrith for all their winning has a very simple formula. Imtimidate and asphixiate the opponent in their tight corner and wait for their errors. However empirical evidence in recent post-season contests has shown that we know how to play and beat them. Provided conditions 1 & 2 listed above are given a tick, then this is a tight, close struggle, much closer that what is generally argued. And if so, the maligned outsider can triumph. Gasperini did it against the "special one" Mourhino, Dallas did it against Joe Burrow when totally written off. It CAN
And didn't it cause a stir amonst the Penruff merkins when I suggested last year the Su'a be used as cannon fodder and speared into to target the shoulder, back and jaw of the Chin...😂
Hypocrites.....
Winning hypocrites..