What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Preliminary Final - Panthers vs Rabbitohs: Saturday 24th September 7:50pm @Accor Stadium

callmack1

Staff member
Revenge. They say it's a dish best served cold and well; I'm hoping Souths' revenge will be ice cold as we run red hot in this one. This week, it's all about revenge. We take on the Panthers in an absolutely massive Preliminary Final on Saturday night. It's an amazing achievement to get this far no doubt, our fifth Prelim in a row, but we don't want to stop there. A shot at real glory in the Grand Final awaits the winner of this one with the loser going home. The game couldn't be bigger, and the stakes couldn't be higher. The pressure couldn't be higher. This is one of the biggest games in the history of our club on Saturday night.

As I said, it's all about revenge. They've got one over us and ended our Season in heartbreak the last two years. Losing the 2020 Prelim and then the 2021 Grand Final to them hurt really, really bad. In fact, it still burns me to this day and I'm sure it's the same for the players. So, we need to really channel that hurt this week, channel that feeling and use it as the biggest driver and motivator in this game. If we could somehow get one over them to advance to the Grand Final, not only would it be one of our greatest wins ever, but it would be sweet, sweet revenge. It's no secret I hate Penrith, so much so that they're honestly getting up there with the Roosters in terms of most hated. They're arrogant, cocky, self-entitled pricks. Our rivalry with them has become huge and I'd just love to get one over them.

As much as I hate them, there is unfortunately no denying that they're the benchmark team this year. The Panthers have been so far ahead of everyone else it's barely even a contest. They have one hell of a team lead by superstars like Cleary, To'o, Crichton, Edwards, Yeo, Fisher-Harris, Koroisau; The list honestly just goes on and on. Everywhere you look, there's a quality player there. They have so few weaknesses. In saying that, the Finals are a different competition, and we are capable of beating them! The key no doubt lies in the forward pack. Many times in recent years that we've played, and they've beaten us, it's often been as a direct result of losing the battle through the middle. We cannot let that happen this week. Gotta match them and match them hard or we'll be no chance.

For us this week, it's all about not letting the emotion and pressure get to us. No doubt this is a huge occasion, and we can't let it over awe us. Of course, in a Prelim, you want to be emotional, you have to be emotional in these big games but it's important we don't overcook it. Of course, use that revenge to motivate us but don't become clouded by it. It's a fine line to walk but I trust the squad and coaching staff to get it just right for this one. We also need to get our performance just right. There's no doubt that beating the Panthers in a Final is one of the toughest tasks in the game, but it can be done. We must be near perfect though if we are to be any chance. Despite being dominant, our completion rate was terrible in the Semi, and we can't repeat that again. Complete high and don't gift them opportunities or they'll make us pay. On another note, our defence has been on song in recent weeks but it faces its toughest test of all this week. Will we stand up in that regard? Time will tell.

This is war with a Grand Final spot on the line. It's absolute war. I've never wanted to win a game so bad in my life, I've never wanted to get revenge so bad in my life. Souths are capable, we can bloody do this, and the boys know it. It would have to be one for the ages, but we can do it! The belief in this team is incredible. Let's hope that belief carries us into another Grand Final. We're on the edge of potential greatness and hopefully, our time has finally come. Lessssgoooooo!!

callmack1

Staff member
Campbell Graham out with broken ribs apparently

edit - there’s are article admitting he’s played two games with broken rib and will push on.

Methinks the person who told me he was out may have muddled the facts.

Last edited:

Hellray

Juniors

edit - there’s are article admitting he’s played two games with broken rib and will push on.

So pain killing needles for both Graham and Arrow before, during and after the game

soc123_au

Staff member

He was fantastic last week. Even more impressive with broken ribs. I'm pretty surprised this info has been let out though. Kikau and Tago will test him out for sure.

Kilkenny

Coach
Revenge. They say it's a dish best served cold and well; I'm hoping Souths' revenge will be ice cold as we run red hot in this one. This week, it's all about revenge. We take on the Panthers in an absolutely massive Preliminary Final on Saturday night. It's an amazing achievement to get this far no doubt, our fifth Prelim in a row, but we don't want to stop there. A shot at real glory in the Grand Final awaits the winner of this one with the loser going home. The game couldn't be bigger, and the stakes couldn't be higher. The pressure couldn't be higher. This is one of the biggest games in the history of our club on Saturday night.

As I said, it's all about revenge. They've got one over us and ended our Season in heartbreak the last two years. Losing the 2020 Prelim and then the 2021 Grand Final to them hurt really, really bad. In fact, it still burns me to this day and I'm sure it's the same for the players. So, we need to really channel that hurt this week, channel that feeling and use it as the biggest driver and motivator in this game. If we could somehow get one over them to advance to the Grand Final, not only would it be one of our greatest wins ever, but it would be sweet, sweet revenge. It's no secret I hate Penrith, so much so that they're honestly getting up there with the Roosters in terms of most hated. They're arrogant, cocky, self-entitled pricks. Our rivalry with them has become huge and I'd just love to get one over them.

Never quite understood the whole narrative around the whole revenge thing.

Revenge for what, other than Dubbo a couple of seasons back our games have largely been decided by six points or less. We’ve got the wins, on merit or otherwise but the games have been played out by two relatively even matched sides.

Your notion around us being arrogant or worse given your assertions are rather comical given you have a couple of high profile players who most neutrals would suggest are far more arrogant than anything perhaps we can offer in the arrogance stakes.

I understand your passion, your desire to get one over us, but at the end of the day you just happen to play us in the PF and past history means nothing. Revenge no, just being the better team on the day and winning earning the right to make the GF.

May the best team on the night win, no referee or bunker howlers, just two good sides going at it and I can live with it if you guys come out on top. Not about revenge, about being better and deserving to be in GF.

callmack1

Staff member
Here's my predicted line up for the Preliminary Final against the Panthers,

1. Mitchell
2. Johnston
3. Tass
4. Graham
5. Milne
6. Walker
7. Ilias
8. Tatola
9. Cook
10. Nicholls
11. Koloamatangi
12. Arrow
13. Murray

14. Nikorima
15. Sele
16. Chee-Kam
17. Moale

So basically, I don't expect there to be many changes, if at all. AJ and Jai should be named most likely and will be further assessed later in the week. Fingers crossed they're good to go.

The only change I think will be Moale in for Havili. Liva's injury looked bad, and I doubt he'd be any chance of playing sadly.

Otherwise, that line up right there is a side that is capable of beating Penrith!!

callmack1

Staff member
Some talk doing the rounds that the club is using the video of Kikau mocking us after the 2021 Grand Final and using it as motivation this week.

I love that if so! Anything that's going to get the juices flowing, add a bit more feeling and get the boys even more pumped!

This is what I love about JD's coaching, he's willing to get rough, get ruthless, get revenge. You're not going to beat Penrith by being nice guys, we need to get down and dirty with them, push the boundaries like we did against the Roosters.

As great as Wayne was, this is something his coaching lacked. JD seems to be all for it, and I love it, it'll be something Penrith have never seen from us in a Finals game this weekend.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Booked 3 tickets this morning Mum and Dad are coming too I managed to get in by 10:02am. Got in Bay 110 row 11 Rabbitohs Supporter Bays. The Burrow will be a few rows up the back of 110 as well so gonna be an awesome atmosphere. Was $55 a ticket for the supporter bays so you have ti be quick. I paid for all the tickets.

Cat 2 are $65 and Cat 1 are $85 I believe not too bad for such a massive game.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Never quite understood the whole narrative around the whole revenge thing.

Revenge for what, other than Dubbo a couple of seasons back our games have largely been decided by six points or less. We’ve got the wins, on merit or otherwise but the games have been played out by two relatively even matched sides.

Your notion around us being arrogant or worse given your assertions are rather comical given you have a couple of high profile players who most neutrals would suggest are far more arrogant than anything perhaps we can offer in the arrogance stakes.

I understand your passion, your desire to get one over us, but at the end of the day you just happen to play us in the PF and past history means nothing. Revenge no, just being the better team on the day and winning earning the right to make the GF.

May the best team on the night win, no referee or bunker howlers, just two good sides going at it and I can live with it if you guys come out on top. Not about revenge, about being better and deserving to be in GF.
I understand it and if you guys had lost to us in massive games of late like for example if we won the GF last year lots of yours fans would be wanting revenge. You’ve had the wood on us of late no doubt about it and you deserve it. Both teams have been up there the last few years so a bit of an intense rivalry is forming I feel. In the stands at games it feels the same way as well.

I feel there has been an arrogance personally at times with how your coach has spoken too and of course Nathan Cleary and Luai etc........ your boys are very confident which I have no issue with but it’s things like Nathan Cleary laughing at an injured Josh Mansour last year. Kikau mocking us after the GF rather than being humble........ Kikau laughing about Arrow getting injured in last years GF... things like this mate are what angers the Souths faithful and it comes across as arrogance. Plus we played you recently I think it was last year and the penalty count was 12-2 to you guys who get very call and it was close to the worst refereed game I’ve seen in my life things like that, that make us fume.

So yes we would love some revenge on you guys for those reasons. I hope you understand where I’m coming from as I feel Callmack feels much the same as I do.

Latest posts