What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Premier League semi final: Raiders vs Dragons

greeneyed

First Grade
Tokyo... yes it was... There are Raider fans all over the world mourning on this result. I am talking to a number of them right now on MSN.... and on other forums... and they all agree. I'm really disappointed in you.

Thank you Azza for your support.

Warning: The following post contains actual facts and a lame attempt at humour. Read at your own discretion.

Raiders season ends in disappointment... again
By IBG

The Canberra Raiders Premier League team has produced its worst performance of the season, thrashed 50-12 by a red-hot St. George-Illawarra Dragons outfit at Aussie Stadium tonight infront of 30,900 odd fans - three of whom were Raiders supporters.

Before the visitors from the National Capital took the field, there was one change to the official program, with Nathan Smith not taking any part of the contest. This caused a reshuffle, with Jack Pearson moving into the centres to fill Smith's vacated role, as Joe 'The Nose' Picker - or as some like to call him, the Boogeyman - came into the starting side in the second row. There is no official word as to why Smith was out, but according to one of my sources, he's still pissed off his nut from Mad Monday and is lying in a gutter near Mooseheads.

Signs were not looking good for the men in green right from the start, as on the opening set of six the Dragons put in a tremendous kick into the in-goal area, forcing custodian Bronx Goodwin to catch it one-handed, however he knocked it on and it flew right into the Dragons' winger's hands who scored an opportune try.

However, the Raiders hit back after a smart chip kick from Terry Campese wielded the Raiders a penalty as Campese was taken out whilst contesting the kick. This left the Raiders in good field position, and they took their opportunity after a nice backline movement sent winger David Milne over in the corner. Bronx Goodwin converted from the sideline and the Raiders hit the front 6-4.

However, that was the last time the Raiders would see the lead as from then on, it was a one-way contest. After a series of crucial mistakes and lapses of discipline, the Dragons got repeated opportunities and took them with both (or 34) hands, as they raced to a 24-6 lead at halftime. The Dragons peppered the Raiders left-hand side defence, and Chad Grintell and Brad Cross were found wanting on several occassions, leading to three straight tries.

This optimistic Raiders fan had a deep feeling of hope as the Green Machine ran out onto the paddock for the second half. In hindsight, it was just food poisoning from the burger I had purchased an hour earlier.

Just two minutes into the second half, the Dragons put on a magical try which started with a chip and chase, and as the player in question regathered, he kicked over the top again for the flying Josh Morris who grabbed the second of his three tries for the Dragons.

Besides the tries, next came the only bright spot for the Raiders on an otherwise dark night, in one of the plays of the year. The Raiders were on the attack deep into the Dragons half, when they had an overlap out wide. William Zillman fired the ball in the direction of Brad Cross, however some schmuck from the Dragons intercepted the ball and started to run 80m upfield. Like a scene from the National Geographic channel (no, it didn't involve humping, but merely a graceful cheetah chasing its prey... or something), David Milne absolutely flew like the wind from the other side of the park, giving the Dragons winger at least a 30m start, and yet he caught him two metres out from the tryline in a classic copybook tackle, and as the Dragons schmuck slid into the goalposts, he knocked the ball on!

It was the momentum shifter that the Raiders needed to get back into the contest!

Unfortunately that didn't happen with the Dragons then moving to a 40-6 lead after another converted try.

Oh.

A few minutes later, after a break by replacement half Marc Herbert, Bronx Goodwin backed up and was able to charge his way over, before converting his own try. The score moved to 40-12.

The Dragons then scored two more late tries thanks to even more mistakes by the Raiders, and eventually, thankfully, mercifully, it was over.

The Dragons had defeated the Raiders by 50-12.

For the Raiders, it was a terrible performance. In the first half they looked like their first grade counterparts, playing very conservatively and very forward-orientated, but it didn't work, as their forwards got completely dominated by their Dragons counterparts. In the second half the game opened up a bit more, and Marc Herbert was the most dangerous when he came on in the second half, where he created a fair amount of opportunities out wide. The Raiders kicking game for the most part was atrocious, with Terry 'My Nickname Is Mid-Field Bomb' Campese returning to true form, living up to his moniker. The two stars who were expected to perform at such a high level like they had been over the course of the year, William Zillman and Bronx Goodwin, had especially poor games. Goodwin's mistakes led directly to three Dragons tries, while Zillman was extremely quiet and didn't create anything.

I was lucky enough to be able to speak to Premier League coach Andrew McFadden after the game, and when quizzed about the team's performance, he had this to say.

"..."

Telling indeed.

Well that just about wraps it up from this depressed Raiders supporter who basically wasted $48 (plus a crapload for food and parking, can you believe it costs $18 for parking?!?! ... but I digress), but that's what being a Raiders supporter is all about.

I'm Ron Burgundy... stay classy, San Diego.

Bay56

First Grade
Great report IBG :clap: .... you are obvioulsy a very keen student of the game :? :D

so in summary what you are saying is that it is all Elliott's fault :lol:

I tend to agree.

edabomb

First Grade
greeneyed said:
Tokyo... yes it was... There are Raider fans all over the world mourning on this result. I am talking to a number of them right now on MSN.... and on other forums... and they all agree. I'm really disappointed in you.

Thank you Azza for your support.

GE, you should be old enough to know not everyone deals with dissapointment the same way as yourself. Not all of us are cryers, and we generally make light of the situation. Doesn't mean we don't care about the sides lower grade results.

hrundi99

First Grade
It may have been an anomoly but TR's comments are more about giving everyone a reality check, and I agree with him.

No-one is happy that we lost.

Raider_69

Post Whore
PL has always had this achillies heel TR.
They look unbeatable one minute, and quite litterly look a completely different out fit the next. So the fact it has happened week to week isnt completely out of charactor.

No way Goodwin and Zillman would have been 100%, both have been carrying injuries and looks that showed big time against a quality team. So be it, Goodwin and Zilly are a big part of that team, if they played poorly its no surprise the team struggled.

Herbert was the only real kicker in that group too, Zilly has a good short game, and Campo can bomb the sh*t out of it, but none are real strategic long kickers. But ohwell, we are now all out, and the end of a era is officially over. With so much on and off field changes for us over the off season, a chapter of the raiders book is now closed and we can look forward to a new one starting next season

Bay56

First Grade
Raider_69 said:
PL has always had this achillies heel TR.
They look unbeatable one minute, and quite litterly look a completely different out fit the next. So the fact it has happened week to week isnt completely out of charactor.

No way Goodwin and Zillman would have been 100%, both have been carrying injuries and looks that showed big time against a quality team. So be it, Goodwin and Zilly are a big part of that team, if they played poorly its no surprise the team struggled.

Herbert was the only real kicker in that group too, Zilly has a good short game, and Campo can bomb the sh*t out of it, but none are real strategic long kickers. But ohwell, we are now all out, and the end of a era is officially over. With so much on and off field changes for us over the off season, a chapter of the raiders book is now closed and we can look forward to a new one starting next season

well summed up Nick ... but of course you'd have to be a regular watcher of PL to make such an assessment ;-)

Juniors
hahahahahah canberra... still the f**king joke of the NRL, maybe you should pick ricky sturat up again and throw him a jersey, coz since him you cant beat ur own meat

Bay56

First Grade
1999 said:
hahahahahah canberra... still the f**king joke of the NRL, maybe you should pick ricky sturat up again and throw him a jersey, coz since him you cant beat ur own meat

ricky sturat huh ... never heard of him but maybe he's worth a try ... is he an outside back ??

btw buddy I think you're in the wrong forum ... joke of the NRL, I suggest you head a bit further south (as in Sydney)

anyway have a good day buddy ... here's hoping the storm arent a joke next week against the dragqueens huh ;-)

greeneyed

First Grade
I am dead sick of people getting on this forum and criticising Premier League and Jersey Flegg players when they have NEVER EVER SEEN THEM PLAY.

That is you Ed, Quinny... TR... SO SHUT UP and STOP CRITICISING PEOPLE WHO HAVE SEEN THEM PLAY and who make comment on them. You obviously get some peverse pleasure out of criticising the younger players who are coming up through the grades. But who knows why you want to? Just SHUT UP and enjoy their talents when they do come through the grades. If they don't... you don't have to care... AS YOU HAVE NEVER SEEN THEM PLAY!!!!!!

Juniors
just on a personal note i have seen them play, and they are raiders through and through, premiership threats one week, cellar dwellars the next, bottom line, like 1st grade, no consistancy, especially in the big games

Bay56

First Grade
1999 said:
just on a personal note i have seen them play, and they are raiders through and through, premiership threats one week, cellar dwellars the next, bottom line, like 1st grade, no consistancy, especially in the big games

I wouldnt be crowing yet mate ... you might find that the Storm are premiership threats all year and chokers when it really counts.

greeneyed

First Grade
Shut the f**k up! We are generally on the Storm's side, so why the hell are you in here and criticising? Unless you want us to start throwing the Storm supporters into the same slop bucket as the Tigers supporters?

BlueRaider

Juniors
1999 said:

Anyone care what this loser thinks? Get f'd mate come talk to us when u win a few more premierships...

PRKLCD

Juniors
1999 said:

Surprised you aren't over on the knight's fourm giving it to them - I heard they just got smashed my a big margin as well

Serioulsy mate - what kind of loser comes on fourms and writes that type of crap? don't you have anything better to do with your life? It's little f*ckwits like you who turn me off the internet.

Raider Jack

Juniors
Scum 1999; we should separate the rest of Australia from Melbourne; piss off all those mullet sporting pot drinking pack of dirty mexicans from us clean people

Tokyo_Raider

Juniors
greeneyed said:
I am dead sick of people getting on this forum and criticising Premier League and Jersey Flegg players when they have NEVER EVER SEEN THEM PLAY.

That is you Ed, Quinny... TR... SO SHUT UP and STOP CRITICISING PEOPLE WHO HAVE SEEN THEM PLAY and who make comment on them. You obviously get some peverse pleasure out of criticising the younger players who are coming up through the grades. But who knows why you want to? Just SHUT UP and enjoy their talents when they do come through the grades. If they don't... you don't have to care... AS YOU HAVE NEVER SEEN THEM PLAY!!!!!!

Um...but I have.

Nice rant though.

sydraider

First Grade
1999 said:

Whats wrong mate? You know its ok to lose to the dragons or maybe the pressure is getting to you, you know, being the minor premiers and only beating the 8th team due to a dodgy video refs call, or is it the fact that Inglis might not be able to play against the dragons? You know that guy Inglis, the one who saves your asses when you guys have nothing else?

f**k you and your mexicans, I hope the dragons do a number on you and make you guys the laughing stock of the nrl.