What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Premiership this year ....

BLM01

First Grade
Last year was our best chance of a crack at the Grand final but fell over the line again . This year is IMO be a real struggle , can't see us anywhere near top 4 ... Hope I am wrong .....
You maybe wrong but on this you may be right

Rob Dragon

Juniors
I think many of us would, after the last 5 years, have to admit we feel the same. When you stop and think about it, it is really quite a miserable state. While I remain significantly intrigued by league and interested in the game, I can't say there's been a time I have actually felt this bad about my club. Even when we were at our least competitive in years gone by I had more pride in my club. Now honestly the McGregor show just infuriates me, especially when I think of what could have been. On the outside he is a popular guy and a media fav when he is actually getting away with sabotage of a once proud club. He makes me miss St George even more.
It is not McGregors fault. I have said it many times; but he is an unqualified bloke earning a fortune. Would you quit? I wouldn't. You want me out? You throw me out and pay me on the way. The entire blame for the McGregor saga lies with the BOD.

denis preston

First Grade
I've got a terrible feeling that the board has or is ready to renew him and is just waiting for a winning run to announce it. I hope i'm wrong on this but the fact is who is out there of quality? The best case scenario is to sack Mary mid season ( AND Hornby & Young ) and appoint Demetrio as caretaker .Demetrio gets them to the semis and shows us he has the qualities of a good NRL coach and gets a 2 year contract ?

blacksafake

First Grade
It is not McGregors fault. I have said it many times; but he is an unqualified bloke earning a fortune. Would you quit? I wouldn't. You want me out? You throw me out and pay me on the way. The entire blame for the McGregor saga lies with the BOD.
Tend to agree RD, However there is no need to pay him out(although I'd be happy about that). Just DO NOT give him an extension.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Its early in the season for us I know but Im less than confident of our chances this year.....obviously for me McBrexit just doesnt cut the mustard and I fear the ongoing positional changes and benched players scenario is just going to add to our woes.....I know I sound negative and I hate feeling this way but I just cant see it happening for us in 2019......I hope Im wrong

Smurf

Juniors
What scares me is we had a golden run in the first half of the competition in 2018
Lots of wins and no injuries
And only just made the 8
Now we are starting 2019 with Tyson out
Simms suspended Jack no idea
And we lost Nicholson too
And ...... McIdiot changes a working spine

Maybe we will reverse it this year and come home strong and be premiers !!!!

George Dragon

Juniors
What scares me is we had a golden run in the first half of the competition in 2018
And only just made the 8

Nicholls

George Dragon

Juniors
And only just made the 8

Nicholls

In a nutshell - spot on.
McGregor gets vilified for his ineptitude and because that drives the fans to distraction but the blow torch should be applied to those who appointed him in the first place and then extended him.
They should all resign.
The process they followed to appoint McGregor had nothing to do with aptitude, merit or experience.
The final decision defied any logic. Just an old boys/factional deal that basically told the fans to "get stuffed, we can do whatever we want".
5 years hence and they are still trying to convince everyone that it was the right decision.
To add insult to injury Johnson has publicly endorsed yet another extension.
The Board has to make McGregor a success or they all have to resign.
5 year failure is bad enough but 7years of this rubbish coaching will be hard to rationalize even for the current board.

Rob Dragon

Juniors
In a nutshell - spot on.
McGregor gets vilified for his ineptitude and because that drives the fans to distraction but the blow torch should be applied to those who appointed him in the first place and then extended him.
They should all resign.
The process they followed to appoint McGregor had nothing to do with aptitude, merit or experience.
The final decision defied any logic. Just an old boys/factional deal that basically told the fans to "get stuffed, we can do whatever we want".
5 years hence and they are still trying to convince everyone that it was the right decision.
To add insult to injury Johnson has publicly endorsed yet another extension.
The Board has to make McGregor a success or they all have to resign.
5 year failure is bad enough but 7years of this rubbish coaching will be hard to rationalize even for the current board.
Dennis, I've also come to the conclusion that I am completely missing something with McGregor. Clearly the BOD's are better qualified then me and I accept that. I am therefore missing something in McGregor that they clearly see and it would now appear that they will do whatever it takes to ensure he succeeds in the hope he becomes our version of Man Utd's Sir Alex Ferguson. Ferguson was almost sacked in 1990 only to hold on and become the most success Mn Utd manager of all time. Perhaps the Dragons BODs are hoping for a similar story here. I just don't see it. I don't get it. I am totally bewildered by it. What I do realise however is that my dedication to the cause is ebbing away, bit by bit, stupid press conference by stupid press conference, stupid selection by stupid selection. And here it really is Dennis. I didn't even watch us play on Saturday night and I am a 50 year supporter. Lose people like me and you have a problem. It is only you folk keeping me going. I am starting to disassociate with the team. That's a problem.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Dennis, I've also come to the conclusion that I am completely missing something with McGregor. Clearly the BOD's are better qualified then me and I accept that. I am therefore missing something in McGregor that they clearly see and it would now appear that they will do whatever it takes to ensure he succeeds in the hope he becomes our version of Man Utd's Sir Alex Ferguson. Ferguson was almost sacked in 1990 only to hold on and become the most success Mn Utd manager of all time. Perhaps the Dragons BODs are hoping for a similar story here. I just don't see it. I don't get it. I am totally bewildered by it. What I do realise however is that my dedication to the cause is ebbing away, bit by bit, stupid press conference by stupid press conference, stupid selection by stupid selection. And here it really is Dennis. I didn't even watch us play on Saturday night and I am a 50 year supporter. Lose people like me and you have a problem. It is only you folk keeping me going. I am starting to disassociate with the team. That's a problem.
I hear you loud and clear Rob for me its 60 years....I feel nothing this year unfortunately.....didnt watch the game either (my wife had bought me tickets to a concert) and tbh I wasnt that upset that I couldnt watch the game.....now that's a worry for me because normally I would have been shattered. ..anyhow mate at least we are being honest....I would never give up on the boys but this current situation I feel we are in just leaves me stone cold ..sad but true

Rob Dragon

Juniors
I hear you loud and clear Rob for me its 60 years....I feel nothing this year unfortunately.....didnt watch the game either (my wife had bought me tickets to a concert) and tbh I wasnt that upset that I couldnt watch the game.....now that's a worry for me because normally I would have been shattered. ..anyhow mate at least we are being honest....I would never give up on the boys but this current situation I feel we are in just leaves me stone cold ..sad but true
BSE, I am with you mate. This is the worst I have felt about my beloved Dragons ever. Worse then the Steve Price years, Andrew Farrar years. I have a shocking feeling that McGregor will get an extension and this comes after the so-called rebirth of the club after last years WIN buy-out. I had a lot of time for Brian Johnston as our previous CEO; but to come out and talk about starting to negotiate with McGregor is lunacy.

Get this BSE. I live on the Sunny Coast and every year a group of us go down to see the Broncos and Titans games. I have passed for this year. I just cannot even sit in the same stadium as McGregor and the idiots running the club.

rasaint

Juniors
Even before JDB got into trouble I had concerns for this year.

1. Leeson Au Mau was a strong metre eating 1grade prop. Very durable and hardly ever injured. Korbin in my view was a slight downgrade when it was announced.

2. Nene MCD gone; had a strong season 2018. Big loss. Some remarkable trys last year. Our slump also coinsided with his 5week injury absence near end of regular season.Very big yet genuinely fast and able to score long range trys. Strong kick return and carries which usually bent the defensive line.Nighty was still ok and safe under high ball and very experienced. Now we have gutsy but slow Jordan. Gives 110% but not in Nene league. Two new wingers Rav and Pearson ? are relatively unknown and likely fringe 1st graders. Maybe Maranta may surprise us a bit if given a shot, but we are back to square one with wingers.

3. James Graham another year older and probably a little less effective. He isn’t superman.

4. Gareth Widdop wanting out and deal got done to stay one more year. Likely not what he wanted

5. Matt Dufty after a good break out season is told he may not be wanted and protracted negotiations when he is a local Penshurst junior? Scored some exciting trys and genuine speedster in a team which doesn’t have a genuine speedster except Nene who was going. Matt is not a ‘super star’ but does distract opposition defences. While they are keeping an eye out for him because his speed can strike,other players then have a bit more space. Note his effect on Roberts when Lafai scored against Broncos in semi.

6. Not anti Mary but into year 6 with ordinary record.

7. It doesn’t appear we are unearthing any great local back rowers, centres or wingers. Zac Lomax looked sound at centre last year but a bit out of sorts this year.

8. Much hype over Blake Lawrie. My view he is a fringe 1st grader and lacks impact. Even appears a bit small without that athleticism of some one like Souths backrower Cameron Murray.

Anyway, I am a died in wool Dragon supporter but really a top 8 seems improbable.

We must be similar vintage - 48 year supporter and I feel the same pain as you.
There is nothing to understand any more - I have been through the whole gammit of emotions and now settle on just a feeling of resignation to the current malaise.
There is no other club in the history of post super league rugby league that has appointed a head coach with McGregor's credentials. We are on our Pat Malone.
There is no logic or explanation.
Ineptitude? negligence?
Call it what you want but it borders on a breach of the Board's fiduciary duty IMO.
Ferguson was qualified to coach before he started at Man U and eventually stamped his authority and culture on Man U with the subsequent successes.
Along the way he was tactically proficient, a renowned disciplinarian and single mindedly chased silverware. He wasn't "pals" with his players.
He also unearthed and developed talent from abroad (Cantona) and within his own ranks (Neville brothers, Beckham, Scholes).
So if the Board is seriously using Ferguson as an example it is like comparing a Bentley with a Diahatsu.
I am now curious as to how much longer they will continue to flog this dead horse.

possm

Coach
Crush,
I too would like to see him succeed but he keeps shooting himself in the foot.
Anyway, will be interesting to see how he handles it, along with how the management does as well.

As you say, rather see it now than later in the season.

Our coaching staff have not even learned to tread water over the past 5 years. The club has incrementally been improving the playing squad but unfortunately the onfield results seem to be prone to the same overall problem; a lack of reaching the teams full potential.

There have been excuses and this season there will also be plenty however, nothing will change until we make a complete change to our coaching staff.

SEAT 1A

Bench
Our premiership in tatters after one round and Mary been treading water for his whole career. Will Mary be going down the drain pipe.

No premiership this year and a fight to reach the eight, to many teams has improved their roster.

BLM01

First Grade
We must be similar vintage - 48 year supporter and I feel the same pain as you.
There is nothing to understand any more - I have been through the whole gammit of emotions and now settle on just a feeling of resignation to the current malaise.
There is no other club in the history of post super league rugby league that has appointed a head coach with McGregor's credentials. We are on our Pat Malone.
There is no logic or explanation.
Ineptitude? negligence?
Call it what you want but it borders on a breach of the Board's fiduciary duty IMO.
Ferguson was qualified to coach before he started at Man U and eventually stamped his authority and culture on Man U with the subsequent successes.
Along the way he was tactically proficient, a renowned disciplinarian and single mindedly chased silverware. He wasn't "pals" with his players.
He also unearthed and developed talent from abroad (Cantona) and within his own ranks (Neville brothers, Beckham, Scholes).
So if the Board is seriously using Ferguson as an example it is like comparing a Bentley with a Diahatsu.
I am now curious as to how much longer they will continue to flog this dead horse.

I agree his time is about up. But.....Paul Langmack, Mick Potter, Trent Barrett, Dean Pay what coaching credentials did they have but from being assistants as McGregor was to Brown & Price
Dennis.....are you sure we are the only club in history since the Super League war?...there is a whole lot more if you like.

I agree his time is about up. But.....Paul Langmack, Mick Potter, Trent Barrett, Dean Pay what coaching credentials did they have but from being assistants as McGregor was to Brown & Price
Dennis.....are you sure we are the only club in history since the Super League war?...there is a whole lot more if you like.
Good response and yes maybe there are clubs out there that do, occasionally appoint head coaches with iffy credentials however if you take a closer look you will see that McGregor's appointment still trumps all of your examples.
1. Mick Potter - I don't think he is a good example BTW. He was Head coach at 3 Super League clubs including taking St. Helens to the Challenge Cup final.
Returned to Australia and was appointed Head Coach at West Tigers in 2013 and sacked at the end of 2014 season.
2. Dean Pay - coached under 20's in the Melbourne system under Bellamy - He is already streets ahead of McGregor right there.
Assistant to Kevin Walters at the Catalan Dragons and Assistant to Ricky Stuart at Parramatta.
Successfully coached the NSW under 20's 3 years in a row and finally appointed to the top job replacing Hasler at the Dogs last year.
3. Trent Barrett - coached City Country (I know, so what) was assistant coach to Ivan Cleary at Penrith and was one of the assistant coaches to the NSW Blues side before landing the Manly job.
Parted company with Manly after 3 seasons in 2018. Manly would have been much better off sticking with Toovey.
4. Paul Langmack - very short coaching career soon after retiring as a player - was tossed the keys at Souths as a caretaker when Coleman was sacked and was also sacked mid season the following year. Definitely a stop gap solution during a period of turmoil for the club at the time.

Compare to Paul McGregor
*His role at the club as an assistant coach was always as a strength and conditioning coach.
Where did McGregor get his experience from? Who were his mentors?
Bennett would have been a great mentor but the great man dumped McGregor as soon as he arrived.
After Bennett departed he had 2 years of coaching reserve grade.
He was assistant to Steve Price for half a season before being appointed caretaker in 2014.
He was then given a 3 year contract until 2017 and extended for another 2 years in June of that year.
With the exception of Langmack, it could be argued that all of the above had better credentials than McGregor.
McGregor has also had a better roster to work with than all the examples you provide.
One final and most relevant point, the clubs that appointed Barrett, Potter, Langmack did not wait around to see if things would improve.
They fired these guys and moved on. Something we seem incapable of doing.
Pay is still in his second year but I suggest that Canterbury won't wait 5 years to change coaches if things don't improve dramatically.

BLM01

First Grade
Good response and yes maybe there are clubs out there that do, occasionally appoint head coaches with iffy credentials however if you take a closer look you will see that McGregor's appointment still trumps all of your examples.
1. Mick Potter - I don't think he is a good example BTW. He was Head coach at 3 Super League clubs including taking St. Helens to the Challenge Cup final.
Returned to Australia and was appointed Head Coach at West Tigers in 2013 and sacked at the end of 2014 season.
2. Dean Pay - coached under 20's in the Melbourne system under Bellamy - He is already streets ahead of McGregor right there.
Assistant to Kevin Walters at the Catalan Dragons and Assistant to Ricky Stuart at Parramatta.
Successfully coached the NSW under 20's 3 years in a row and finally appointed to the top job replacing Hasler at the Dogs last year.
3. Trent Barrett - coached City Country (I know, so what) was assistant coach to Ivan Cleary at Penrith and was one of the assistant coaches to the NSW Blues side before landing the Manly job.
Parted company with Manly after 3 seasons in 2018. Manly would have been much better off sticking with Toovey.
4. Paul Langmack - very short coaching career soon after retiring as a player - was tossed the keys at Souths as a caretaker when Coleman was sacked and was also sacked mid season the following year. Definitely a stop gap solution during a period of turmoil for the club at the time.

Compare to Paul McGregor
*His role at the club as an assistant coach was always as a strength and conditioning coach.
Where did McGregor get his experience from? Who were his mentors?
Bennett would have been a great mentor but the great man dumped McGregor as soon as he arrived.
After Bennett departed he had 2 years of coaching reserve grade.
He was assistant to Steve Price for half a season before being appointed caretaker in 2014.
He was then given a 3 year contract until 2017 and extended for another 2 years in June of that year.
With the exception of Langmack, it could be argued that all of the above had better credentials than McGregor.
McGregor has also had a better roster to work with than all the examples you provide.
One final and most relevant point, the clubs that appointed Barrett, Potter, Langmack did not wait around to see if things would improve.
They fired these guys and moved on. Something we seem incapable of doing.
Pay is still in his second year but I suggest that Canterbury won't wait 5 years to change coaches if things don't improve dramatically.
OK because you went to so much effort to prove your point and well done we will agree to disagree there. Mary was a successful bush footy coach with plenty of premierships ;)
And he has better record than Barrett, Potter & Pay
Dont worry if Mary does not survive this year Trent Barrett will take over

But you asked for it....I will tease you with a few more I had in mind
David Furner spent only 1 or 2 years under Neil Henry if that
John Morris
Terry Lamb
Meninga?
Peter Sharp or Hasler?

Latest posts