What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Preofessional Referees

yappy

Bench
No matter the rights or wrongs of Haynes effort last night it does highlight the total lack of depth in the refereeing ranks. It really is far far beyond the point where the NRL needs to take on a squad of full time pros. They should be the real 16th team of the NRL getting comensurate dough. The whistle-blower is such a vital element in the game that having these semi-pros running about just isn't on any more. You start getting a good bit of depth and have the top guys knowing it's their career at stake if they f*ck it up and you'll get better quality.

Also it might start encouraging retiring players to give the whistle a go. It's a joke that when a player retires the talk is about a career in coaching or the media or management, but never refereeing. It would be a great option for younger guys who have their careers ended by injury, but who are still young and fit and passionate for the game. More dough for refs Mr Gallop.

tigershaz

Juniors
I'm sure most of us can accept a loss when it is due to bad performance and some times just plain bad luck, BUT when is like last nights game, poor ref's decisions it's just unbearable!!

The NRL want people to follow the game don't they?

Surely they don't want all the support for just some teams ( the tops teams)?? Do they?

I can't understand it!!
The club will probably face a fine now! You cannot blame our offcials, afterall they are human too, and they, like us, can only take so much ](*,)

They carry on when there is a player mucking up, and how this will affect the game...WHAT ABOUT THIS SORT OF CRAP??

I know a few people that have given up on the game due to the poor standard of refs!
This needs to rectified and sooner rather than later!! ](*,)

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sure the penalty count was against us, but seriously, did we play good enough to win?

I don't think its fair to blame the referee, afterall, the ref never gets credit for a teams victory.

daslacker

Juniors
Na your right madunit,we shouldn't blame the ref for inferior reffereeing. :roll:

He deserve's 3 daily m points for that performance. :roll:

Madunit is right, it looks from a different point of view like the tigers were trying to test hayne last night, granted some of the penalties were an absolute joke.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I bet if we won the game you wouldn't be praising the referee would you now?

tigpie

Juniors
Sure the penalty count was against us, but seriously, did we play good enough to win?

Strange as it may sound, I believe we did. We got within 8 points with hardly any ball. Imagine what the score would have been had we had an even share of the penalties. As for that specious argument (put forward by some, e.g. Canberra supporters) that we brought the penalties on ourselves ... BS!!! Have another look at the game. Hayne was only refereeing one team one night and Canberra got away with some of the same thing we were penalised for. How could the referee, the touch judge and the video ref all miss a high shot that left Skandalis with a probable broken nose? Why did the Wests Tigers not get a penalty when one of our players was held down in the tackle close to the line after Hodgson made a break and almost scored? Have a look at some of Canberra's tries. They were only scored after being awarded a string of penalties. Their first try is a good example ... four penalties in a row! Of course we were good enough to win (given an even break). And the ridiculous part is that Sheens is now facing a hefty fine for refusing to talk to the media. Shane should be dropped to the Jim Beam Cup (or lower). :evil:

WT2004

Juniors
I reckon the best ref getting around at the moment is Jason Robinson the one we had refing most of the games at the start of the year. His decisions he made were reasonable and fair, he was a ref who let the game flow and didn't play tunes with his whistle like shane pain in the arse.

tigershaz

Juniors
madunit said:
I don't think its fair to blame the referee, afterall, the ref never gets credit for a teams victory.

Wrong there Madunit, around here we comment on the good refs too...
Of course there is no perfect ref!

The high profile teams get the better refs as well!!

Tigerpete

Juniors
Theres no way im gonna defend hayne, he needs to realise it goes both ways, what we did was no different to anything Canberra did, do u think our players would be stupid enough to keep infringing, i dont. And even if they were, why wasnt the clocked stopped, the captains talked to and players put in the sin bin, regardless, Hayne's at fault.

Sincas

Juniors
I thought they were full time pro's now..

It takes a "special" type of person to be a referee and while upping their pay may attract a few more, I doubt many ex-players would be interested in joining that profession.

Sincas

Juniors
mistakes are understandable.. this is from a match report i wrote on the official website after the panthers game..

Wests Tigers were still 2 points behind with 5 minutes remaining.

In the final 5 minutes, a couple of decisions again went against the Wests Tigers. On one occasion, it appeared a Panthers marker was offside at the play the ball and had the penalty been awarded, Brett Hodgson would have had a chance to level the scores and send the match to golden point. The other decision came in the final minute when Pritchard stuck an arm out to deflect a pass by the Wests Tigers. The on field officials ruled that Pritchard did not play at the ball and the Panthers retained possession to see out the match.

Pritchard later told the Sydney Morning Herald,"That was a knock-on, man, for sure! That was critical in the game. If the ref gave them them ball, they could have got another set of six on us. "He said 'play-on', I said 'sweet' .... I got away with murder."

The Sydney Morning Herald also reported that;

In the aftermath of the incident, a Wests Tigers player could be heard to say to referee Steve Clark "you'll be disappointed in that when you see the video", to which Clark replied "not as disappointed as you're going to be".

These decisions were not to blame for the defeat but added yet another sour taste to a wonderful match.

I don't have a problem with ref's making honest mistakes but being a smartarse about it and the arrogance they display makes me sick. Couple that with them being untouchable in press conferences when the performance of everyone else is open slather and i can see why Sheens did what we did on sat nite.

yappy

Bench
I think a few of them are full time Sincas, but not a lot, and certainly not all of the First Graders. You need a full 15-20 full timers to ensure the younger ones can more easily put pressure on and there are more to choose from.

As for the comment that not many ex-players would be attracted, so what? You only need one or two a year. If they had a good chance at a full time career envolved with the game you love then the one or two becomes more realistic. Each one you attract increases the chances of more seeing it as an attractive option. If you got to the stage where even 3 or 4 players considered it each year you'd almost certainly have supply outstripping demand and you'd be able to improve quality. Good on Noisy Fallah for having a go I say, there should be many more like him.

As for honest mistakes - absolutely. We all know that you can't see everything. Some knock ons are going to get missed etc. Arrogance in a ref should be a definite no-no. That was my major beef with Bill. He was under the delusion that he was the star turn, and now many if not most ref's think because he was the so-called 'best referee in the game' that they too need his arrogance to succeed. BS. You definitely need a strong character to be a referee, but arrogance is not a trait of a strong character. A strong character doesn't need to prove he's the man, he just gets on with the job and conducting himself professionally. Methinks Mr Hayne feels a compelling need to demonstrate he the man for the very obvious reason that he isn't.

innsaneink

Referee
madunit said:
I bet if we won the game you wouldn't be praising the referee would you now?

How often do we win a game with obvious refereeing mistakes and decisions going our way....f**kin Hayleys comet is around more often than that!!!
Get ur hand off it unit!

Latest posts