What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Prepare to split your sides ...

innsaneink

Referee
Please indicate where I posted I wanted Sheens back?

Yes, and the "line in the sand bullshit" really worked didn't it? How many nil was it when Marshall came on? That fixed him!

Go and read Bob Fulton's opinion on the decision by supercoach. And before anyone has a go at Fulton's credentials, remember he was in a different league as a player to Potter and again in a different league to Potter as a coach. Is there a vacancy at the Wakefield Wildcats?
Decisions like these are not related to ONE upcoming game or instance. Its not a tactical game play move.
Its more about the ongoing relationship between coach and players, he is effectively saying to them no one player is above the club... I as coash am the boss and Im not here to make friends.

super_coach

First Grade
Potter was smart enough to know he needs a red hot Benji if he has any chance of turning things around, so rather than stroke his ego after every bad game, he sacked him to the bench.

From where I sit it was a great move, may not work, but better than feeding the ego of our most expensive player who is playing like a group 10 novice for the Oberon Tigers

R2Coupe

Juniors
The coach is there to inspire players and ensure they perform to the best of their ability.

If the team had put in the effort and fought hard in our last two games yet had been beaten, it would be understandable.

The team capitulated and the coach cannot escape questions being asked about his ability and his relationship with the players.

super_coach

First Grade
The coach is there to inspire players and ensure they perform to the best of their ability.

If the team had put in the effort and fought hard in our last two games yet had been beaten, it would be understandable.

The team capitulated and the coach cannot escape questions being asked about his ability and his relationship with the players.

Oh if it was that simple coaching would be such a easy job. I see it as the strongest team played the weakest team and we got the expected result.

The big question,who put this weak squad together????

innsaneink

Referee
Lets not forget that during all this as well, the club is virtually imploding around him.

I agree to an extent, Potter shouldnt be exempt from criticism, he has made mistakes - rookie mistakes - but theres a multitude of mitigating circumstances that stem from a time long before Potter was even though of in connection with WTs that are now all coming to a head and see us in the position we're in.

R2Coupe

Juniors
Oh if it was that simple coaching would be such a easy job. I see it as the strongest team played the weakest team and we got the expected result.

The big question,who put this weak squad together????

Souths pushed our forwards aside. Woods, Buchanan and others made simple one on one misses in defence. Regardless of whether in the NRL or State Cup, these are tackles you would expect forwards to make.

Is this reflective of a team putting in or inspired to perform to the best of their ability? Not in any way. Why?

Tiger05

First Grade
Souths pushed our forwards aside. Woods, Buchanan and others made simple one on one misses in defence. Regardless of whether in the NRL or State Cup, these are tackles you would expect forwards to make.

Is this reflective of a team putting in or inspired to perform to the best of their ability? Not in any way. Why?

Those missed tackles were terrible. The thing is Woods has been great for us but he missed those tackles not Potter. He didn't miss those tackles due to poor coaching.

Potter has stuffed up but I can't blame him for our poor season. If he doesn't bench Benji we would still have lost that game. It wouldn't have been any better. At the same time all he did by doing that was piss Benji off and he needs Benji as much as any player on this team. He pissed Farah off when he benched him however it didn't impact the result either.

Yes he has made dumb rookie mistakes but at the same time Sheens had to go. Look at our finances now - they are terrible. Look at our pack especially Blair and Anasta being big name signings. These are all Sheens errors.

My take is Potter needs to get his head out of his ass and start making the right decisions. If he made those decisions regarding Benji and Robbie to prove he is the boss he is an idiot and I would happily see him gone tomorrow. If he just made a mistake (I think we should accept that this is what happened) then he deserves more time.

Potter needs a big pack out there who can defend. He also needs some quick outside backs. Then he needs to somehow get Benji and Robbie to fire.

I don't think he is in that bad of a situation. We have 2 great players. We have some quality forwards and we have some outside backs that are young and look like they are first grade quality. The problem with Blair and Anasta will be resolved over the next couple of seasons. We should be in a good spot if Potter can make the right decisions within this timeframe.

Tigers Tale

Juniors
Potter should not be seen as a rookie, he has coached at ESL level so he knows how the game works AND added to that he took a team that was basically playing for nothing and moulded them into a very competitive side. My point being he has talent as a coach and he appears to get the best out of players in a bad situation, how he continues to motivate this team for the rest of the year though will be testing for him no doubt.

I feel he has been dealt a pretty poor hand with our current side but I am prepared to say given time he has the ability to turn things around. I am still firmly of the view it is his support staff (training and defensive skills) and senior management (recruiting) that is letting him down badly.

Had he walked into Souths, who this year are a better than average side, I would suggest he would be getting similar results to Maguire....

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member

Our defence was quite average last year too, with a better back row & less injuries under Sheens.

Sheens created a comfortable atmosphere for his players, where mediocrity was excusable & thus accepted.

Potter, by benching Farah & Benji has sent a clear message that needed to be sent.

True champions work even harder under pressure.

Inspiring players is but one of many things a coach must do Coupe.

You criticise Potter for not inspiring his side, yet 5 of the 7 seasons after Tigers won the premiership, they failed to reach the finala under Sheens, yet you never criticised him.

Your posts are so devoid of any semblance to a rational thought, that i can only assume you are either a troll, an idiot, or haven't watched any tigers games since the 2005 GF.

BrotherJim05

Bench
If Des Hasler coached our side and went up against the Bunnies on Friday we would have still lost by a 30+ margin.

Farah is an absolute freak. Most hookers don't play 80 minutes and control the game like he does. Even in the first Origin game they benched Farah thinking it would be beneficial but quickly realised how stupid it was. I would be willing to bet that Potter will never do this again

Magpie Tragic

Juniors

IMO it's all about attitude......and our attitude sucks, and I also ask WHY????