What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Preparing for a 6 day Hike

Houdini

First Grade
Ok fitness fanatics, I'm after some suggestions on the best way to prepare for a 6 day trek?

I'll be hiking the Larapinta Trail across the West MacDonnell Ranges in central Aus this September as part of a fundraising activity for charity and desperately need to get myself in shape. We will be on average hiking 14km a day, but it will involve some steep inclines and declines over the course of the trek.

I am out of shape so assume I need to do cardio to get my fitness up? The last bush walk I did I was pretty out of breath on the steep inclines.

Currently I work long hours so the only exercise I am doing is a 2km walk of a morning and a 2km walk at night (every day provided it isn't raining).
I'm also an insulin dependant diabetic so my diet can't really be changed much in relation to the amount of carbs I am eating daily (although this will need to increase while doing the trek to prevent blood sugar levels dropping too low).

So aside from doing some bush walking with my pack on, what other things should I look at incorporating????

Springs

First Grade
Make sure the pack is correct weight. The pack was the hardest thing when I did the Overland Track.

My preparation wasn't too hard. It was pretty much normal footy training + cross trainer work-outs. I wore ankle weights for a fair while as well. Do some hiking over smaller trails if you get the time, will give a good indication of how you will go on the trail.

In my experiences hiking hasn't been too difficult. The most important thing is good boots.

Houdini

First Grade
Got good boots, they have served me well for years.

Going to start off with some bush walks in the national park, specifically ones that have some steep inclines, cause I think that will be my only struggle.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
It's a great trail and at this time of year the weather is perfect. A lot of the inclines are pretty constant uphill

Have a great time.

I would start off with practicing a combination of local multiday walks and longer day walks which include steep inclines.

The coast track is the obvious one.
I would also suggest multi day walks in the Budawangs

My favorite day walk incorporating steep sections I'd say the Sublime Pt/Forrest Track?Wodi wodi track walk...actually my all time favorite walk

Start at Thirroul or Austinmer trainstation. Climb Sublime Pt (400+ verticle metres). Follow the track along the top of the escarpment north for 12km, meets the wodi wodi track, turn left and follow for 2 more kms to Stanwell Park trainstation

Fire

First Grade
Ok fitness fanatics, I'm after some suggestions on the best way to prepare for a 6 day trek?

I'll be hiking the Larapinta Trail across the West MacDonnell Ranges in central Aus this September as part of a fundraising activity for charity and desperately need to get myself in shape. We will be on average hiking 14km a day, but it will involve some steep inclines and declines over the course of the trek.

I am out of shape so assume I need to do cardio to get my fitness up? The last bush walk I did I was pretty out of breath on the steep inclines.

Currently I work long hours so the only exercise I am doing is a 2km walk of a morning and a 2km walk at night (every day provided it isn't raining).
I'm also an insulin dependant diabetic so my diet can't really be changed much in relation to the amount of carbs I am eating daily (although this will need to increase while doing the trek to prevent blood sugar levels dropping too low).

So aside from doing some bush walking with my pack on, what other things should I look at incorporating????

How's the training going mate?

Fitness is fitness - anyone can do it. Just build, and build, and build...

The hard part is in your head.

Maybe read Keith Funnell's SASR memoires (the one about his deployments, not the SASR training). It'll harden your mind space up good and proper.

Good luck!

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
Take your pack with you on all walks, fill it with weight incrementally so as to reach about 17kg in the final week before your trek.

Make sure you have good boots that don't induce blisters now while you have the time.

Do a few overnight treks if possible.

Start collecting the gear you will need. Prepare for freezing cold nights and very warm days on the Larapinta in September.

Houdini

First Grade
Training has been going well.

I started jogging 3 times a week (on top of my walking) just to get my fitness up. I deliberately included hills in my route. I couldn't even make it up the hill without slowing to a walk the first week, but since then have been able to do the entire route without stopping.
There's an even steeper hill that I have not made any attempt to jog up yet, but decided to walk up it at the end to finish off. That alone is enough to make my leg muscles feel like jelly by the time I reach the top.

On a side note, in only 2 months of fundraising, myself and my 3 workmates have collectively raised $11,286.00 not too shabby eh? Our goal was $12,000.00 so hopefully we are on track to SMASH it :cool: