What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Previous Week Twos Finals

bula_stormer

Juniors
Just a thread for everyone to mention what they remember about previous Week 2 in Finals. Famous incidents, games, goss etc.

Well my favourite memory is Matt Geyer returning a Ricky Stuart kick to win the game for Melbourne.
My Worst being the Bulldogs defeating Melbourne again, same place, same time.
What about Stacey Jones and the Warriors in a thriller against the Raiders, The Sharks smashing Canterbury and ofcourse big Gordies last game.

Hurriflatch

Referee
Best:
2000: Having beaten the Roosters 32-8 in week 1, the Baby Eels (who were the story of the finals just like the cowboys in 2004 and the Tigers this year) beating Penrith 28-10 after trailing 10-2 with 3 mins before half time, get a try to Stu Kelly 10-8 then a penalty right on half time to be level 10 all going into the break and coming out and giving it to the Panthers in the 2nd half.

Worst:
Not really sure, have a few bad experiences in week 3 of the finals tho

innsaneink

Referee
bula_stormer said:
Just a thread for everyone to mention what they remember about previous Week 2 in Finals. Famous incidents, games, goss etc.

Well my favourite memory is Matt Geyer returning a Ricky Stuart kick to win the game for Melbourne.
My Worst being the Bulldogs defeating Melbourne again, same place, same time.
What about Stacey Jones and the Warriors in a thriller against the Raiders, The Sharks smashing Canterbury and ofcourse big Gordies last game.

Well theres a coincidence, that matt geyer run was on NRL on Fox last nite.

pantherz9103

First Grade
Hurriflatch said:
Best:
2000: Having beaten the Roosters 32-8 in week 1, the Baby Eels (who were the story of the finals just like the cowboys in 2004 and the Tigers this year) beating Penrith 28-10 after trailing 10-2 with 3 mins before half time, get a try to Stu Kelly 10-8 then a penalty right on half time to be level 10 all going into the break and coming out and giving it to the Panthers in the 2nd half.

Worst:
Not really sure, have a few bad experiences in week 3 of the finals tho

Sadly that was a bad memory. I went to that game and I'll never forget how rude alot of the Eels fans were that night to me and a couple of Penrith supporting friends. We gave some back but it just seemed as though alot of their behaviour like shouting in our faces and spilling beer on us deliberately was pretty ordinary and insulting my young cousin which was totally unprovoked. Sure it was a great win for the Eels and I understand the local rivalry but this group of Eels fans went way over the top. They were loud, rude and swore in front of children. There were quite a few of them and it gave me a negative view on Eels fans for a while.

That view has somewhat been cleared up by these forums. I have a greater respect for Eels fans like yourself Hurriflatch as well as Agent Mulder not to mention several others. You guys make good posts and I can honestly say I haven't noticed any Eel versions of slava, rooster cogburn or preniers on these forums.

So Eels fans I don't judge you all just based on that one night back in August 2000. I know every team has some idiot fans, its just the way it is.

Big Pete

Referee
NQLD vs. Broncos - Good game, was happy to see the Cowboys play well
Broncos vs. Dragons '01 - Sailors last good game
Raiders vs. Warriors - Good game of footy possibly one of the best in week 2.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Week two finals - hmmm

2003 - against the Roosters the week after we narrowly went down 26-22 to the Dragons who had Luke Bailey put Joey out for the year :evil: We came out the week after, trailed 30-2 at halftime and the game was over, before eventually being put out of our misery 36-8.

choc_soldier

Coach
I was there that night too pantherz9103, and have similar stories to tell - and have the same attitude towards Eels fans... the ones I have met are great.

I remember starting a "NEWCASTLE... NEWCASTLE..." chant after the game, and I generated a bit of support! Why, I don't know - maybe I did that because the Eels were playing them the following week...

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Week 2 is the week of the anomaly in the McIntyre system. The higher winner plays the higher loser and the lower winner plays the lower loser, which really isn't fair, but avoids a repeat of Week 1 matches.

In 2003 and 2004 Melbourne got the rough end of this anomaly. Their reward for winning in round 1 was playing the Bulldogs, (who finished 3rd in the 2003 minor premiership and 2nd last year) and they were well beaten both times.

My best week 2 memory was the Warriors only ever week 2 match, v Canberra in 2003 of course.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Jobdog said:
Week two finals - hmmm

2003 - against the Roosters the week after we narrowly went down 26-22 to the Dragons who had Luke Bailey put Joey out for the year :evil: We came out the week after, trailed 30-2 at halftime and the game was over, before eventually being put out of our misery 36-8.

I thought that was 2002. 2003 I thought you lost to the Roosters in week 1?

choc_soldier

Coach
2003 and 2004 - watching the Raiders / Warriors and Bulldogs / Storm matches to see who would meet us in the prelim.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Thierry Henry said:
I thought that was 2002. 2003 I thought you lost to the Roosters in week 1?
:lol: Maybe it was, I wasn't sure if it was 02 or 03. I don't really remember any finals matches which the Knights lose in. :p

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Actually, now I think of it, 2002 was 26-22 loss to the Dragons in week one, followed by the 36-8 defeat by the Roosters. The following year we lost 38-12 in week one I think it was. See what happens when u keep on playing the same team ALL the time at one stage or another in finals footy!

Goin back a while in the time tunnel......

92 Dragons vs Newcastle. Dragons won 3-2. Sounds like a dull scoreline, the game was anything but.

Aussie stadium was jampacked with Red & Blue accounting for seemingly 90% of the crowd. Us Dragons folk were wedged in at the South West Corner.

One of the most tense games of footy I have experienced - had no voice by the end of the game - I sounded like David Barnhill. And I have to say the Newcastle folk I encountered after the game were the most graceful losing fans I have ever come across.

pantherz9103

First Grade
parra_panther said:
I was there that night too pantherz9103, and have similar stories to tell - and have the same attitude towards Eels fans... the ones I have met are great.

I remember starting a "NEWCASTLE... NEWCASTLE..." chant after the game, and I generated a bit of support! Why, I don't know - maybe I did that because the Eels were playing them the following week...

Actually I'm pretty certain that the Eels played the Broncos the following week and the Knights played the Roosters :? Not being picky just im quite certain that that is the facts.

Eels fans were chanting 'Bring on the Broncos!' towards the end of the game when they had the game won. They lost the following week due to Brad Thorn powering his way over the line near the end of the game. But that Eels side of the 2000 finals laid the platform for the record breaking side of 2001 that were upset by the knights in the grand final of '01. It was no shame in losing to a side that had future stars PJ Marsh, Jamie Lyon, Hodgson, Richards and Andrew Ryan to name but a few. I was just peed off with the bad behaviour of some of their supporters.

pantherz9103

First Grade
Jobdog said:
Actually, now I think of it, 2002 was 26-22 loss to the Dragons in week one, followed by the 36-8 defeat by the Roosters. The following year we lost 38-12 in week one I think it was. See what happens when u keep on playing the same team ALL the time at one stage or another in finals footy!

Actually you lost 38-12 to Roosters in Week 2 of 2002. The match where you put up a big fight. I think it was level for a long time but the game turned on the Knights missing a try because of a Fitzgibbon trysaving tackle. The Roosters went down the other end and scored and went on with it.

You lost 36-8 to Roosters in Week 1 of 2003 without Johns as well.

I keep correcting everyone's facts. Not meaning to gloat its just when I know something I like to share it. I've got all my David Middleton Rugby League Yearbooks at reaching distance on my shelf! ;-)

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Wasn't the 2002 game a Sunday afternoon game? I remember there being 2 or 3 long range intercept tries including one by Fitzgibbon?

The 2003 game was a Saturday night game in the first round (2nd v 7th) with Joey doing commentary as I believe was mentioned, and you were always gonna lose.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Yeah the one where we lost 38-12 was a Sunday arvo game which was in 2002, ur correct. It was 6-6 I think for memory up until around the 60th minute, and yes Fitzgibbon took an intercept which was after about our 4th consecutive set on the Roosters line. It broke our back and the boys put the cue in the rack after that try. The 2003 one we lost 36-8 after trailing 30-2 at halftime. Glad we finally got all that cleared up :p

Special K

Coach
Joey got hurt by Luke Bailey in week one in 2002. Week two Luke Bailey took out Matty Johns early.

Andrew Johns was sitting behind the Cronulla bench with Matt Rogers for the game.

Latest posts