What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price can only coach the cattle he has got

TheRev

Coach
- You could compare Hayne (2009) with Barba, but Hayne has been lackluster for over 3 seasons now, Barba is literally winning every game for his club by scoring tries, setting them up or just scaring the s*** out of defenders and creating opportunities.

- Price has not managed his cattle well, he is boring, safe, short-term, he doesnt have an eye for youth, he doesnt take risks.. yes his cattle is sub-standard, but he has single-handedly delayed our clubs comeback by 2 years.

- Yes Doust/Young id be happy to see go, especially if Young is the dinosaur hes made out to be, he might not be the man we need to talk to young talent (which lets face it is what its all about), maybe Dean Young or Hornby could take over, or just someone else more qualified.

- Problem is that removing Board Members, CEOs is far harder than a coach, just look at the Sharks, if anyone had to go it was the Board, but the first thing they did was attempt to sack everyone else and get them to confess to take the pressure off their own jobs, i.e. everyone else first!

Minh

First Grade
Beau Ryan gave Steve Price a massive rap on the footy show saying he is a tremendous coach, interesting.

TheRev

Coach
Once again rev, great post
I think we are in Sync Johnny! If only Price & Doust were onboard!

Beau Ryan gave Steve Price a massive rap on the footy show saying he is a tremendous coach, interesting.
Id love to believe that, but nothing about their game-plan seems to show it (although they are trying hard which is always good). Was that based on his junior days or something? I wonder if Prices problem is his tactics &/or ability to lead men (particularly older players)?

Minh

First Grade
Could well have been based on the juniors days as Beau Ryan came through our junior system didn't he.

LOYAL DRAGON

First Grade

Id love to believe that, but nothing about their game-plan seems to show it (although they are trying hard which is always good). Was that based on his junior days or something? I wonder if Prices problem is his tactics &/or ability to lead men (particularly older players)?

Thats what I have been thinking. And maybe got too close to the playing group as an assistant.

BennyV

Referee

I think you've hit the nail on the head, and THAT issue (I believe) affects Soward most of all. I saw a few people mention Jamie turning his back on Pricey during the game last week...we can all admit that Sowie has a chip on his shoulder and it took a good coach (Bennett) to get him playing to his potential, perhaps he just doesn't have enough respect for the coach?

I keep hearing things like 'Price is a good coach, he's a really nice bloke...', perhaps he needs to crack the whip a bit?

getsmarty

Immortal
I think you've hit the nail on the head, and THAT issue (I believe) affects Soward most of all. I saw a few people mention Jamie turning his back on Pricey during the game last week...we can all admit that Sowie has a chip on his shoulder and it took a good coach (Bennett) to get him playing to his potential, perhaps he just doesn't have enough respect for the coach?

I keep hearing things like 'Price is a good coach, he's a really nice bloke...', perhaps he needs to crack the whip a bit?

Re Sowie turning his back..Didn't Price give him some instructions and he turned to talk to Fein in the dressing room... That's what it looked like to me...

Last edited:

Morotti

Juniors
It is a fine line though. For example Bennett is loved by his players but is also a strict disciplinarian. It is about creating that respect and that takes time. Unfortunately for Price he doesn't have time.

I read in the smh today that we are even thinking of extending his contract and going on a recruitment drive for 2014. Who knows how likely that is.

Article --> http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-could-show-up-bookmakers-20130321-2giv6.html

Minh

First Grade
My gut says that this guy Price can become a very good FG coach, he just needs us to trust him, Maybe then he would be more relaxed to develop some youngsters in FG too give them that exposure build long term not just short term.

BennyV

Referee
My gut says that this guy Price can become a very good FG coach, he just needs us to trust him, Maybe then he would be more relaxed to develop some youngsters in FG too give them that exposure build long term not just short term.

I agree. I didn't mind the idea of Tony Smith coming in, but Price seems to have a plan for himself and the team, I have the feeling that at some point it will click (with or without Fien) and he will have a bit of pressure released...as I've said before, the idea that big players won't come to us because of him is a ridiculous beat up by the media.

That said, Saints fans aren't exactly known for being patient or accepting failure...myself included!

Elias1983

Coach
I agree. I didn't mind the idea of Tony Smith coming in, but Price seems to have a plan for himself and the team, I have the feeling that at some point it will click (with or without Fien) and he will have a bit of pressure released...as I've said before, the idea that big players won't come to us because of him is a ridiculous beat up by the media.

That said, Saints fans aren't exactly known for being patient or accepting failure...myself included!

Some of that pressure release will come this sunday I reckon.

Minh

First Grade

We're all a bit like that just passionate. I agree with you the idea of players not coming because of him is a myth. Some clubs have heavy wallets and the backing of millionaires probably paints a clearer picture it's hard to compete for marque players in that environment although Bennett, Hasler and Bellamy have pulling power as super coaches and amongst them some have both.:roll:

What's Up

Juniors
Morris,Nightingale,Cooper,Soward,Fein,Creagh,Harrison,Merrin & Weyman have all palyed reps or at a high level. 5 of the 9 backs played reps. 4 forwards have played reps ( I think Prior and Hunt may have played for Country).

If that is bad cattle for Price to work with then look at other sides and see what cattle they have? And they are playing much better. Compare the Titans, Eels, Panthers, Tigers, etc backs to the Dragons. For the Dragons players to have been picked to represent Country, City, NSW, NZ or Aust they must have been pretty good cause I am sure those teams don't select bad cattle.

Saints have a good squad, sick of hearing our players being bagged and our crap coach been given excuses. As for Price been given an aging roster, that is also crap. Fein and Cooper are the only old guys there. From memory Lockyer, Steve Price, El Masri, Patten etc played well when they were OLD? If your good enough to play NRL age has nothing to do with it.

The roster saints have is better than alot of others out there so stop blaming the cattle. Saints have the perfect blend of youth and experience it is a pity it is not getting utilised. It is the type of team most coaches would love to have. Even Bellamy thought about coaching the side. He took ages to make his decision. If it was bad cattle then he would have made the decision straight away.

Fair point and thanks for that. I accept the rep teams largely pick players on form. The past is great to name players, and to quote you yes our players "must have been pretty good" to play rep footy. Merrin and Morris are the only ones who should hold their head up high. There comes a time when only rep experience takes you so far. When you have rep players making under eights errors in defence and attack. Ie Soward kicking the ball out one the full and scrappy goal line defence with the ball (put nightingale there too), running bad lines, poorly timed passes. These seem to be highlighted more under pressure and fatigue. The players must be accountable. Yeah price has a share, but not the entire level of blame.

Who would be your current team on the squad that is available to get what you describe as a good mix of youth and experience?