What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Priddis doesn't expect to be here next year

Godz Illa

Coach
But he expects a premiership this year...

http://www.theleader.com.au/news/lo...rl-grand-final-says-veteran-rake/1845020.aspx

Dragons can win the NRL grand final says veteran rake

BY MICHAEL CARAYANNIS
01 Jun, 2010 04:00 AM

VETERAN Dragons' rake Luke Priddis reckons he can grab a third NRL premiership with this year's St George Illawarra side in what could be his last season with the red and whites.

Two premierships, Tests, Origins and more than 300 first grade games later, Priddis is in a good position to judge the Dragons' premiership aspirations.
After fearing his career was over at the end of last year, Priddis has bounced back to defy the test of time and produce the form which saw him win the Clive Churchill Medal for man of the match in the 2003 Penrith Panthers grand final victory.
"We are up there,'' Priddis, 33, said.
"It's only early in the season but we can build on that.
"What happened last year was that we got to a peak and couldn't go any further. But this year Darius Boyd has improved 100 per cent and a few of the other boys have improved.''
If it wasn't for a lengthy injury to Kiwi Test player Nathan Fien, Priddis would have been plying his trade for Dragons' feeder club Shellharbour.
Now having played 11 matches- already one more than last year - Priddis is happy that he didn't retire at the end of last season as per the request of coach Wayne Bennett.
"[Wayne] is probably thinking that,'' Priddis said of his decision not to retire. "I'm really enjoying starting.
"I think Wayne said that it was a mistake last year not starting me. I'm not a guy that's going to come off the bench and electrify the game and I'm really enjoying the opportunity at the moment.''
Part of the plan to keep Priddis on the park is an altered training schedule.
The veteran rake doesn't take part in every session.
In the lead-up to the comprehensive 30-0 win against Parramatta at Jubilee Oval on Friday night, Priddis only took part in one session - ball work on Thursday.
Dragons' high performance manager Jeremy Hickmans said it was important to monitor individuals and devise a training schedule to suit their needs.
"The main thing with Luke is not about fitness, it is about keeping him fresh and healthy,'' Hickmans said.
"At times he might only do half the sessions or we might do different drills where we increase his sharpness.
"Wayne is pretty good in that he understands that sometimes he might not have his key players out there training, but it is good in the long-term.''
With his body feeling fresh and having returned to his crafty best Priddis is not discounting playing on next season.
But first he wants to retain his place in the top grade when Fien makes his return from an ankle injury about eight weeks time.
"Hopefully we can both play a role in the team,'' Priddis said. "Nothing is in the pipeline for next year yet. I don't think the Dragons are an option with Fiensy and (young injured hooker) Cameron King there. They pretty much cover the hooker position.''

woodley_11

Juniors
Nathan Fien isn't much younger than Priddis, it might not be long before Cameron King is introduced to first grade.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Priddis has been nothing short of sensational and a true lifesaver for the Dragons this season. If Young reverted back to Hooker the Saints would not be playing as well as they are atm. Priddis playing hooker has been a huge difference to last season. His vision from dummy half is brilliant which comes from years of experience.

It would be good to send him out a winner.

vista

Juniors
I would rather keep Priddis than Fien. Fien is a hog and nowhere near as smart and tough as Priddis.

I would rather keep Priddis than Fien. Fien is a hog and nowhere near as smart and tough as Priddis.

You think so? that first rou8nd against Parra Fein was on fire, thats after a full off season at the Dragon, while Priddis is doing a good job i'd rather Fein in there when he's fit.. He's more explosive from dummy half and has a good passing game...

Zoggy

Juniors
I think i'd rather Fien as well. Its hard to judge after 1 game but we looked so sharp with him on the field.

I think i'd rather Fien as well. Its hard to judge after 1 game but we looked so sharp with him on the field.

We were very explosive with Fein in their, i remeber every time we had teh ball down their we end we looked like scoring but it all fell to sh*t when he broke his ankle..

Not that i disagree bout Fein being a good sharp attacking hooker, you guys do realise that Fein played for about 20mins, and Priddis has played 12 weeks? I think you're being a bit harsh on Priddis here..

Cagey Mac

Bench
I'm a little concerned with Fein's defence. Whilst he gets the job done, he's prone to giving away penalties for going high (more so than Priddis)

konk4

Juniors
Well they better hurry up and lock in Cameron King for next year. He is still waiting.

RedVDave

First Grade
I'd give Priddis another year contract he has been one of the best players this year IMO, consistent and a very hard worker.
Everytime he is on the field Saints look the goods give Fien a bench spot next year and let the 2 of them share the hooking role.

Latest posts