What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Promoting the World Cup

Heritage XIII

Juniors
Hi All,

I am just thinking of ways we, the fans, can promote the world cup.

Here are some of my ideas and what I've done/will do so far:

*I have already broadcast the world cup website to all my organisation's workforce (approx. 600) via email.
*Approach my local library to organise a display (I'll lend league/prior WC merchandise, etc) leading up to/during world cup
*Once the team locations/games are known, encourage bars to create a theme/adopt a team, so on, and promote this to visiting supporters via websites
*have written to Australia Post in regard to issue of special stamps (get writing!)
*have/will promote the world cup in my local junior RL club newsletter/website
*will contact local stingers (SE Juniors for Brisbane) to promote world cup on their website
*will contact local ethnic clubs, who's teams are involved, about the world cup

Imagine all you guys/girls who live around Australia, living in different communities, going out into your immediate area and help to build up some awareness of the world cup! We now live in a world where this is possible.

I actually did this for the Australia v USA game in Philly by finding out what universities were in the city and contacting student organisations (i.e one was a woman's university rugby union team) about the game and emailing the AMNRL's poster for the game. I hope my efforts attracted a few spectators who normally would not have known this was on.

Let's set up some ideas. I sincerely hope the world cup organisers will utilise the many volunteers who would love to help out.

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
even simple things, E.G on my MSN display pic i have the RLWC logo... ive already had 4 people (league and non-league followers) ask me about the pic, which led to an hour long convo which finished in them supporting the RLWC.

Gibbo

Juniors
I had some stuff published in the local paper last year about the qualifiers. Just email your info to the blokes doing the footy coloumns or the footy players writing opinion columns-they're always looking for material. That's the reason i started sending stuff in-i was sick of half the Friday league page being about "Best Bets".

Also continual emailing of the Sunday Roast, fox shows etc helps

yosh64

Juniors
Heritage XIII said:
Here are some of my ideas and what I've done/will do so far:

*I have already broadcast the world cup website to all my organisation's workforce (approx. 600) via email.
*Approach my local library to organise a display (I'll lend league/prior WC merchandise, etc) leading up to/during world cup
*Once the team locations/games are known, encourage bars to create a theme/adopt a team, so on, and promote this to visiting supporters via websites
*have written to Australia Post in regard to issue of special stamps (get writing!)
*have/will promote the world cup in my local junior RL club newsletter/website
*will contact local stingers (SE Juniors for Brisbane) to promote world cup on their website
*will contact local ethnic clubs, who's teams are involved, about the world cup

Let's set up some ideas. I sincerely hope the world cup organisers will utilise the many volunteers who would love to help out.

Great ideas man. I hope that the RLIF use volunteers. Im sure that there wont be any shortage of people wanting to help out.

For the australia post thing, it'd be good if you could post a standard letter on here so that we could all use it and just sign it and send it in (and also give it to friends and family so that they can do the same).

I go to uni so i plan to put some posters up on notice boards when tickets go on sale and closer to the actual cup. So if we could get any other uni students doing the same it would help. Surely these forums have at least one person from each uni.

Copa

Bench
Various levels of government, and other organisations, have lists of community groups by natioanlity/ethnicity.

Could come in handy?

Ari Gold

Bench
We have over 12 months till the World Cup, we as a group can actually make a difference if we all put in.

Sam_the_man

First Grade
When people talk of the centenary rlwc are they aware that the centenary rlwc was actually played 12 years ago?

ali

Bench
Nice work mate. I definately agree we ned to work together to promote it as much as possible.

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
i propose we go about this more formal organised manner, as in round up a group of members who are keen in doing their bi,. and then go from there.

aarondoyle

Juniors
Okay, I've changed my MSN logo. I've written to Australia Post. When tickets are on sale I'm going to send an email around work, and will start emailing newpapers when I think opportunities arise.

Have also written to the Premier of Queensland about the possibility of a Rubgy League Museum being opened around the same time as centenery/WC celebrations kick off (an idea first raised by the Courier Mail about a month ago). So far I've got 2 letters back telling me of the progress of my suggestion, both seem positive but uncommital. If you want to do the same (Queenslanders only preferably) - http://www.thepremier.qld.gov.au/tools/contact.shtm

They also need car stickers. I've got my broncos and Queensland ones up. I'd gladly chuck on a WC one too. Anyone on here into making stickers? I reckon some of the WC logos on their website would look alright - http://www.rugbyleagueworldcup.com/

Think positive everyone! :D

JasonE

Bench
Rugby League World magazine in the UK will be doing their bit to promote the 2008 WC. Next month will have a big focus on the tournament.

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
aarondoyle said:
How many members does the LU forums have? Slow start :(

about 10k right? say only half of them view/post regularly. even then 8 in 5k isnt enough, as yet, to make a significant difference IMO.

Latest posts