What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Promotion and Relegation

EdBurton

Juniors
I'm not really sure how it works with the new systems that started this year and for all I know, this could already be in place, but would it be feasible for the Entrance to now be Promoted to Premier League and The Bears be relegated to the Jim Beam Cup?

Would the Entrance financially be able to make the trips to the matches that are in Canberra etc?

mono_mal

Juniors
i disagree.
The Entrance could compete in Premier League and in my opinion would be of a equivalent to the likes of Manly, Newcastle and North Sydney.
If the club was willing to compete in premier league and get a couple of new recruits under the 400 000 salary cap, in comparison the the JB Cup 250 000, they could be a genuine threat.
Although I personally wouldnt support it.
Whats the use in clubs fielding their first grade team against other clubs reserves? Results in the little support it now gets as its simply in the shadows of the NRL.
The Jim Beam Cup though would benefit greatly if we were to follow the lead of the English and only field first grade sides on top of junior representative sides with the next level of competition being the National One, compromising of seperate clubs.
If players are needed they can be recruited from the Jim Beam clubs and also loaned out to the Jim Beam clubs if not required.
Clubs could also arrange feeder deals with the Jim Beam clubs.
Ultimately it saves the NRL clubs money as the Jim Beam Cup clubs would be putting in the extra cash and benefitting through a stronger competition.

EdBurton

Juniors
I'm with mono mal.
I don't expect a Jim Beam cup team to come up and win the comp, but surely they could be as competitive as a last running Premier League side.
It gives the Jim Beam cup team an EXTRA incentive to try and win the comp as the players profile will lift and give them a better chance of cracking first grade.
Also it will give the bottom couple of teams in Premier League some more meaning in their games at the end of the season, give them something to fight for.....
I just don't know if it's financially viable.....

Mighty Tiger

Bench
Some very good advantages, however at the end of the day it comes down to money and players...

It would be great to one day have a compition from top to bottom which involved relegation and promotion with in the ranks simular to what most soccer leagues have up and running world wide.

The main problem aside from money and the quality of players is that finals series as we know them now would have to be removed, seasons no doubt would be extended and injuries and the career of the average football player would decrease....

Bluebag

Juniors
There is a big difference between JB and Premier league just as their is between PL and NRL. Remember Norths defeated Parra this year and Manly also won against quality opposition. I personally would doubt that the Entrance would defeat any teams in PL and if they did it would only be 1 or 2 wins.

Jeffles

Bench
I' with bluebag. There are too many income and player disparities between the competitions. Promotion and relegation by its nature is designed to counter this. But it would be too predictable when you look at the clubs competing. There are also teams that double up in each compa and are happy to do so.

Another poor sugestion.

yappy

Bench
From what I saw last year Norths would have belted both the Entrance and Wenty. There is a gulf between JB and Premiers. I don't doubt the quality of JB will improve but they would be mere cannon fodder for the strong Premiers sides simply for lack of access to fringe First Grade quality players. Neither of the Premiers sides without direct access to First Graders made (or has ever made) the finals.

JessEel

Accredited Media Releases
EdBurton said:
I'm not really sure how it works with the new systems that started this year and for all I know, this could already be in place, but would it be feasible for the Entrance to now be Promoted to Premier League and The Bears be relegated to the Jim Beam Cup?

Would the Entrance financially be able to make the trips to the matches that are in Canberra etc?

do the entrance play out of northpower stadium?
i've always seen the dismissal of Norths as a waste of a good facility, and if they were in PL maybe it would get more use.

mono_mal

Juniors
you have to remember the points system restricted the capabilities of the JB Cup teams this year..
if they were promoted to premier league they would be able to use the best team possible.
also im sure the clubs with strong leagues club backing could compete. the likes of wenty and st marys immediately spring to mind.
they would be able to spend the whole 400 000 cap which surpasses what the likes of the Jets spend by far!

mono_mal

Juniors
also the Entrance do not play out of Northpower and will not move their either.
they play at 'Tiger Par' within EDSACC Ovals in Bateau Bay. The ground is also opposite The Entrance leagues club which is a big plus for the venue.
The spectator facilities are decent ,with a raised hill running the length of the ground on one side with flat ground on the other, though could be improved whilst the playing surface is of a low standard in comparison with the sydney clubs grounds. their crowds whilst good for Jim Beam Cup standard ,probably averaging anywhere between 300 and 600 people, are much too small for the 20 000 capacity Northpower Stadium.
Northpower was used once this year though for the Jim Beam Cup Triple Header in which Erina, The Entrance and Ourimbah featured. A solid crowd of over 3000 was in attendance and it will most likely be played again this year possibly also including woy woy to make it a true footy fest.
if promoted more heavily they could break the 5 000 mark.
the Central Coast finals are also played at Northpower and i think a crowd of 5 000 was in attendance this year.

roosters_one

Juniors
i believe the NSWRL did what they believe was in their best interests by restricting the JBC to a development grade due to the reduction of flegg comp in 2003.

It was clubs such as Parra and alike making the push for the flegg comp 2 be scrapped but it was this club that organised development games later in the year my question why not enter a JBC side.

With Manly Juniors and Souths Juniors entering teams in the 2004 Competition it will be great to see i hear souths juniors will have a stronger side in 04 than this year which will be promising and will be great to see, possibility of another club also coming in which would give odd numbers oh well

metroman

Juniors
Mono

Just for your reference, the salary caps for 2003 were Premier League (independant club) - $400k, Premier League (NRL club) - $250k and Jim Beam ($150k).

Also, I saw North Sydney get beaten 48-0 by the Cougars and they were absolutely woeful. They recruited 2 players from the Windsor bench during the season.

MetroMan,
I saw Norths beat both Newtown and then flog Souths in the wind at NSO. They started to come good at the end of the year.

It'd be a good game between Norths and the Entrance, but I think the Prem Lge is a higher standard and Norths would win, just.

mono_mal

Juniors
well if norths would just win currently imagine if The Entrance were admitted to Premier League and had an extra 250 000 to spend.
i think The Entrance would be convincing victors.
this is why, whilst it wont happen, promotion and relegation is a good idea. it creates a fight for the teams at the bottom and works very effectively in england with rugby league and soccer.
the only problem i could see with this would be the standard of the playing surface at EDSACC Oval. Its way below premier league standard.

Nfed

Juniors
mal i hope you used capital letters and punctuation when you did your hsc recently how did it go good luck what will you do next year work for nswrl?

mono_mal

Juniors
sorry bout the mistakes nfed.
the brain has been in relaxation mode following the hsc.
but yeah, the hsc was allright and im hoping to do something in sport next year to eventually get a job as a development officer with the arl foundation.
a larger aim is to get into administration but this would be further down the track.

Latest posts