What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Prop forwards

Nevcost

Juniors
James Graham and or Sam Burgess are coming to Brisbane? :s

Seriously though I hope you're right we'll have to wait and see I suppose so that it actually goes through

johnnyg

Juniors
Pretty Impressed with our forwards last night. Canberra isn't a sdmall pack either. Be good to see Clinton get some fitness, he's got great leg speed.

roopy

Referee
Aren't we signing some young forward from the Knights ?
Timmy!!!!!!!!!
Untitled-TrueColor-08.jpg

ponies 4ever

Juniors
Hard to get too excited by a prop coming through u20s with Taylor going, and was once again massively underwhelmed by Joel Clinton at last nights game. Nick Kenny was outstanding however !!!!!! I've read a few posts how this liitle run has coincided with Steve Michaels dumping, but Nick Kennys return should not be discarded. Would of loved to see him packing down alongside Benny Hannant at the Broncos this year but not to be.:(

roopy

Referee
Tim Natusch.
He comes from Wellington NZ originally.
The Knights development officer went over to sign another kid, but they had to arrange a training session to show what the kid could do, and the Knights were so impressed with a kid dragged in for the session (Tim) that they signed him as well. Turns out he had never played League before.
Tim and Kade Snowden were the starting props for the Knights under 20s that won the minor premiership in 2006, Tim's first year of League.
He played under 20s in 2007.
He played NSW cup in 2008.
In 2009 he has had 3 games of firstgrade with the Knights, (would have played more but broke his jaw mid season) trained with the Knights squad, and played with Lakes United in the local comp.
During his four years in Newcastle he has completed a commerce degree with honours at Newcastle University.
Off the field he is a polite, intelligent, softly spoken gentleman. On the field he is a nutcase who won't take a backward step to anyone - which is why everyone at Newcastle thinks he's a legend.

Last edited:

Country Bronco

Juniors
Nick Kenny, Josh McGuire, David Hala, Dunamis Lui and Mitchell Dodds are all we need. Some players that have played toyota cup last year have really stood up this year and i expect the some of the ones i've mentioned above will make the jump into first grade next year. Its our only choice.

TD09

Juniors
Nick Kenny, Josh McGuire, David Hala, Dunamis Lui and Mitchell Dodds are all we need. Some players that have played toyota cup last year have really stood up this year and i expect the some of the ones i've mentioned above will make the jump into first grade next year. Its our only choice.

I really hope that is not our only choice because that forward pack will get dominated more weeks than not in my opinion. Kenny is the only regular first grader, Maguire is coming along well yes, but I dont think he has shown he is ready to shoulder that much responsibility yet, and the other 3 have one nrl game between them, nowhere near enough to be thrown into such a massive responsibility. Just my opinion though.

Dazzat

First Grade
I really hope that is not our only choice because that forward pack will get dominated more weeks than not in my opinion. Kenny is the only regular first grader, Maguire is coming along well yes, but I dont think he has shown he is ready to shoulder that much responsibility yet, and the other 3 have one nrl game between them, nowhere near enough to be thrown into such a massive responsibility. Just my opinion though.

Agreed. Anyone who's watched an NRL will know young props don't win you competitions. Most props don't hit their straps and play consistent week-to-week football until their mid 20s. Look at all the young promising props in the competition with huge raps, but yet to show any consistency ... Russell Packer from the Warriors for example.

I'd argue David Taylor isn't really blossoming as a prop forward ... he's showing us his talents as a centre and second rower, but he doesn't do the hard yards consistently.

Country Bronco

Juniors

We have to rebuild our front row and if that means losing a few games, well so be it. Your starting pack isn't going to be kenny, maccullough, mcguire, hala , lui and dodds next year so no domination there. But you're likely to see kenny, maccullough, clinton, thaiday, teo and sims and three forwards on the bench including sims, mcguire, setu, glen, hala ,dodds, lui. We need to introduce these toyota cup players into first grade so that don't get thrown into the deep end and ply their trade.

Last edited:

Country Bronco

Juniors
Agreed. Anyone who's watched an NRL will know young props don't win you competitions. Most props don't hit their straps and play consistent week-to-week football until their mid 20s. Look at all the young promising props in the competition with huge raps, but yet to show any consistency ... Russell Packer from the Warriors for example.

I'd argue David Taylor isn't really blossoming as a prop forward ... he's showing us his talents as a centre and second rower, but he doesn't do the hard yards consistently.

Agreed most props don't hit straps until they're in their mid 20's but there are exceptions to the rule for example mark o'meley, todd payten, adam blair. All the players i've mentioned will be turning 21 or twenty next year, club legends webke and civoniceva were both in their early twenties when they had their debut seasons for the broncos.

Last edited:

TD09

Juniors
We have to rebuild our front row and if that means losing a few games, well so be it. Your starting pack isn't going to be kenny, maccullough, mcguire, hala , lui and dodds next year so no domination there. But you're likely to see kenny, maccullough, clinton, thaiday, teo and sims and three forwards on the bench including sims, mcguire, setu, glen, hala ,dodds, lui. We need to introduce these toyota cup players into first grade so that don't get thrown into the deep end and ply their trade.

Oh ok, i misunderstood your original post. I thought you meant get rid of Sims and Clinton next season and just use Kenny, Maguire, Hala, Dodds and Lui as your front row rotation fulltime. I didnt realise you meant use Clinton, Sims and co as your main forwards and start to blood these younger guys.

Big Pete

Referee
Douglas is another good example of a prop forward hitting their straps from the get go.

I personally don't rate Dodds, he doesn't have what it takes to play first grade.

Lui may get a game depending whether or not he can find another gear.

If Hala remains consistent, he'll certainly find himself in the thick of it.

Broncos fan!

Juniors
We are getting a prop from roosters U20s for next year. Can't remember his name but it has Claton in it I think. Aparently he is really good. Can anyone please give me a bit of info on him/how good he is if anyone knows anything.

Country Bronco

Juniors
Oh ok, i misunderstood your original post. I thought you meant get rid of Sims and Clinton next season and just use Kenny, Maguire, Hala, Dodds and Lui as your front row rotation fulltime. I didnt realise you meant use Clinton, Sims and co as your main forwards and start to blood these younger guys.

No Probs. i understand what it must of sounded like.

blueballs

Juniors
Andrew Clayton is his name he was apart of the same junior team as Dunmas Lui and Josh Mcguire, Has been a prop for a while. McGuire was the lock for the junior teams has only had two years as a front rower this being his second year. all three members played for Aspley junior club and all boys are still 19. Mcguire didnt start playing footy till he was 14. Played first club game in trail for brisbane team made brisbane team in second game. Made qld / aus school boy team next year and then the open qld team that had the like of folua, Dave taylor, Dave Hala chris sandow also made both 17/19 qld teams in the same year. Dave Hala has got 12 months on these young props has a great off load and a tonne of potential just needs the fitness and he will be fine. Clinton has been a good role model for the young blokes as well as Nick kenny so the future will be good in these stocks.