What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Proteins/Powders

Satsok

Juniors
Im currently using horleys ice, its almost finished and im looking to get something to lean me up, of course with healthy eating and gym/soccer..

just wondering if any of you guys could suggest anything which would help, im looking at horleys ripped atm, but not sure..

any help would be appreciated.. Also, I picked this up today to mix my shakes.. its pretty awesome, some of you have probably seen it before, but its called vortex, and i really like it.. check it out -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VYDKrDw1Lc

Carnifex

Juniors
I used horleys ripped...was told its pretty much like Maxxs hydroxyphase (apprently that helps to block carbs etc) but if your already on a lean diet then you dont really need it. It tastes ok with water, but is better with milk.

DeeJ

Bench
As far as whey protein goes, the cheapest and best tasting brand I have found is redback. The strawberry-banana flavour even tastes nice and the chocolate is passable.

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
if your looking to get lean just look for something with a high protein amount whilst having a low carb amount..also keep a look at which ever one has the fewest amount of calories per serving.

there are so many supplements, what might be good for me may not be the same for you.

also many places allow you to taste before buying..this helps, the last thing you want is something that looks awesome but taste horrible.

Thomas

First Grade
I use the Musashi Hybrid 92 stuff. 26g of protein and bugger all carbs (like 0.8g) per serving. Also only 113 calories. The vanilla tastes much better than the chocolate...which tastes a bit like arse.

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
it always cracks me up when the sales people say "this taste like a chocolate milkshake!"..not one has tasted like a milk shake and if it does it is usually a weight gainer rather then a cutting powder.

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
I use ON Natural Whey. Great powder nutritionally, tastes disgusting in water but excellent in low fat milk.

Dirty Hoe

Juniors
Aussie Nutrition...either natural or Chocolate.

Another good one is Protein Direct. Quality product and service.

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
lol, yeah alright there isnt a cutting powder but there are powders which provide less calories and when your dropping weight you dont want to be losing muscle also, so high protein and no to low carbs is the option..its either that or 3kgs of chicken a day!.

JasonE

Bench
As far as whey protein goes, the cheapest and best tasting brand I have found is redback. The strawberry-banana flavour even tastes nice and the chocolate is passable.

I'm pretty sure Redbak relaunched it's products last year and now i am a regular buyer, their Complete Protein is very good and the Vanilla tastes great.
The Pre & Post workout bars taste nice and are well priced.

Cliffhanger

Coach
Just go with natural unflavoured WPI or WPC, if you mix it with milk or juice it tastes pretty decent.

I get 2.5 kg of WPI for 70 bucks and 2.5kg of WPI for 60 it's unbranded. Just look it up on eBay, you should be able to find even better prices than that.

Have WPC before bed, it takes about 12 hours to absorb, so it will help your muscles repair while you sleep and WPI after a workout, your body absorbs it in 1 an hour so it helps you after a workout.

As they have virtually no carbs they are great for keeping lean, it ensures you maintain muscle so will help keep you lean if you do everything else right.

Tom Shines

First Grade
Balance Mass Gainer in Cookies and Cream flavour. (Please note I'm not after lean muscle per se)

By far the best tasting product I've ever used — in fact it's so good it doesn't taste like a protein product at all.

4kg for $100 on the eBay.

32713.jpg

Chook Norris

First Grade
I'm on a bulk gainer..BSN True mass

Cookies and Cream.. this flavour was the worst decision ive ever made

but, it's been highly effective imo

McLovin

Staff member
Optimum Nutrition gold standard 100% whey
Optimum Nutrition micronized creatine powder
Optimum Nutrition 100% casein

ON and USP Labs have been great for me. Can't remember if i'm on Prime or Powerfull, one of those. Also take Jack3d before a workout. Awesome stuff imo...

McLovin

Staff member
Tried out some unflavoured whey isolate. I mix it with something else because the taste is absolutely horrid...

Vital Strength WPI+ is the best regular WPI i have used, with Max's WPI 2nd. Chocolate flavour in both is pretty good. I will never use BSc protein products again though, have about 2 1/2 kgs left here. Did less than nothing for me and tasted putrid.

The advantage of the VS WPI+ is that it comes loaded with other vitamins and minerals, to the point where I no longer needed to take a daily multivitamin because a 2 scoop shake gave me everything I needed.