What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Proud to be a St. George Supporter

Mickthedragon

Juniors
6. Nobody(mainly Nene/Lafai) giving Dufty a call that there was no pressure from behind. He takes a grubber dead in goal when he had time to let it go dead(which it was). Souths get 2 points from a penalty next set from the dropout when we should of had 7 tackles.
We had a few brain snaps throughout.
It was spoken on nrl 360 last night about how Seibold prepared Souffs all year for dealing with pressure situations such as setting up for field goals etc. We looked like we had no idea whatsoever about setting up for one or trying to stop one. What does Mary do with them at training?

Warabrook saint

Juniors
6. Nobody(mainly Nene/Lafai) giving Dufty a call that there was no pressure from behind. He takes a grubber dead in goal when he had time to let it go dead(which it was). Souths get 2 points from a penalty next set from the dropout when we should of had 7 tackles.
We had a few brain snaps throughout.
It was spoken on nrl 360 last night about how Seibold prepared Souffs all year for dealing with pressure situations such as setting up for field goals etc. We looked like we had no idea whatsoever about setting up for one or trying to stop one. What does Mary do with them at training?
Don't ask silly questions :joy:

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Sterlo said it was a dumb decision but if it came off and it was close Sterlo would have called him a genius.

What we learnt is we have a halfback who plays what he see's in front of him and not a robot that just does the safety plays like kick for the line. Sure it would have got Saints more time but it just did not turn out. I suppose before he scored he could have kicked it for a repeat set or a bomb to the wingers but instead charged through the Souths defence to score a great try and put Saints to a 6.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Definitely proud of the boys. In both Semi's they were huge outsiders and given 10.5 start against Bronco's and 12.5 against Souths. They only lost due to lack of troops. You can blame bad decisions but Saints fully fit would have beaten Souths. They will be better for it next year.

Now how crucial were those losses to Eels and Dogs. If they finished top 4 and the way they played in week 1, they would have had the week off last week as I think they would have beaten any team in Week 1 they they came up against.

Massive learning curve for the players and that is to Start strong, rest up for 2 weeks post Origin, then start again. Too easy. A small tweak

Gareth67

First Grade
The bright spot of course is that all of the junior players came through their baptism of fire in those 2 semis - didn't they what ! Great performances by Leilui , Lawrie , Perria and Lomax who has star quality written all over him . Very pleased by each one of those players contributions and it reinforces the theory that the Dragons will be in good hands in the foreseeable future with these blokes wearing the Big Red V !

Dragonslayer

First Grade
The bright spot of course is that all of the junior players came through their baptism of fire in those 2 semis - didn't they what ! Great performances by Leilui , Lawrie , Perria and Lomax who has star quality written all over him . Very pleased by each one of those players contributions and it reinforces the theory that the Dragons will be in good hands in the foreseeable future with these blokes wearing the Big Red V !

Interesting isn't it that arguably our best players (besides Friz) were the young guys who were given their chance.
Lomax, we all expected big things and he didn't disappoint.
Periera, well Souths peppered him and he rose to the challenge, some really hard fought metres through the middle too in both games.
Lawrie, much maligned by many, showed great courage in both games, another off-season will take him to yet another level.
Leilua, great against the Broncs, a little more subdued against the Rabbits but potential is there.

merahputih

Juniors
Someone posted somewhere that our last three losses in finals were all by one point.
There was no one in our side that had ever kicked a field goal. I am not sure whether Widdop has kicked one but we need to address that next season and give Hunt and Widdop some practice.
According to records Widdop has kicked six FG's since joining us in 2014. Hunt has never kicked one at NRL level at either the Broncos or Dragons. Souths obviously had prepared for this scenario and executed perfectly.

Gareth67

First Grade
Interesting isn't it that arguably our best players (besides Friz) were the young guys who were given their chance.
Lomax, we all expected big things and he didn't disappoint.
Periera, well Souths peppered him and he rose to the challenge, some really hard fought metres through the middle too in both games.
Lawrie, much maligned by many, showed great courage in both games, another off-season will take him to yet another level.
Leilua, great against the Broncs, a little more subdued against the Rabbits but potential is there.

Agree wholeheartedly Dragonslayer, must admit of the 4 it was Lawrie who truly surprised me. He took a bit of a hammering in both games but still came back for more . He will be another ' must have ' bench player next year - if there is any room for more forwards that is . With the addition of the other Simms boy and the return of Vaughan we may be lucky if there is room for a back , let alone for Lawrie . Still he is certainly the goods as are the other lads you mentioned.

nontime111

Juniors
next year id love to see this line up with a NEW coach

dufty
fijian winger/periera
lomax
lafai/herbert ( NO aitken, never to play centre here again)
nene
widdop
hunt

jack
simms
frizz
vaughn
mcinnes
graham

bench:

luch
lawrie
k. simms
mann/field

ouryears

Bench
If McNugget selects them, he may decide to put his old boys in.
They only got the chance due to injuries, not because he thought it was a good idea.
Please.....please....just get another job nuggett

ouryears

Bench
Definitely proud of the boys. In both Semi's they were huge outsiders and given 10.5 start against Bronco's and 12.5 against Souths. They only lost due to lack of troops. You can blame bad decisions but Saints fully fit would have beaten Souths. They will be better for it next year.

Now how crucial were those losses to Eels and Dogs. If they finished top 4 and the way they played in week 1, they would have had the week off last week as I think they would have beaten any team in Week 1 they they came up against.

Massive learning curve for the players and that is to Start strong, rest up for 2 weeks post Origin, then start again. Too easy. A small tweak
That’s not an easy tweak for Mary.
He said he will review the post origin plan as if it is a complicated thing to do
Easy for us, hard for nugget
He is a very very very slowwwww learner

Gareth67

First Grade
If McNugget selects them, he may decide to put his old boys in.
They only got the chance due to injuries, not because he thought it was a good idea.
Please.....please....just get another job nuggett

My dearest mate :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: pleeeeease - we are all aware of the maestro's shortcomings , but we are discussing the ' Proud to be a St.George supporter' and in this instance the exceptional performances of the young Dragons , so let's discuss your Mr. McNugget on the appropriate thread .

possm

Coach
What the f**k do our coaching staff do to address this problem.....we're run by hillbillies
I think there is an attitude problem at our club. From management level to coaching staff level right down to player level. Attention to the little things is missing. The idea that we are professionals, it is just another game, you can't win them all, we need to work on this or that, WE GET PAID ANYWAY, WIN, LOSE OR DRAW.

possm

Coach
Wrong time for a baptism if you ask me. Lomax, Lielua and Lawrie should have been given chances all season to replace out of form players and players carrying injury. If Leilua had been on the bench for most of the season, he possibly would have done a better job in defence last game. His attack is fine and on track but that laps in defence is only corrected with experience and the help of the coaching staff. If it was Hunt to take field goals, he should have been standing back behind the ruck in the same way Soward used to thus giving himself the best opportunity to pot the field goal. An alternative plan should have been to have Lomax move to a position behind the ruck to take the field goal or for Field to come on earlier to provide the x factor in attack and maybe take the field goal attempt.

Gareth67

First Grade
Wrong time for a baptism if you ask me. Lomax, Lielua and Lawrie should have been given chances all season to replace out of form players and players carrying injury. If Leilua had been on the bench for most of the season, he possibly would have done a better job in defence last game. His attack is fine and on track but that laps in defence is only corrected with experience and the help of the coaching staff. If it was Hunt to take field goals, he should have been standing back behind the ruck in the same way Soward used to thus giving himself the best opportunity to pot the field goal. An alternative plan should have been to have Lomax move to a position behind the ruck to take the field goal or for Field to come on earlier to provide the x factor in attack and maybe take the field goal attempt.

Your right on the money there Possum ! But the mere fact that those young fellas played so well in the 2 semifinals matches sort of makes up for it - at least to some degree .

Why ? Quite simple , there were playing in the pressure - cooker games of the season where only the best can survive and as I and so many other members have already said - they came through it magnificently , the experience that have gained in those matches will keep them in good stead in the future .

Your right on the money there Possum ! But the mere fact that those young fellas played so well in the 2 semifinals matches sort of makes up for it - at least to some degree .

Why ? Quite simple , there were playing in the pressure - cooker games of the season where only the best can survive and as I and so many other members have already said - they came through it magnificently , the experience that have gained in those matches will keep them in good stead in the future .
I understand where you're coming from but there were plenty of pressure cooker games during the season where we would have benefitted from the young guys getting a decent run.
The ability that Lomax showed during his 2 game cameo just proves that we had serious options to both Aitkin and Lafai if the coach was prepared to experiment during the season.
Mann is also such an accomplished centre that a combination with Lomax would have shored up that right side defence and probably assured us of a top 4 spot and two bites of the cherry.
Can you imagine the team that played the Broncos, performing so poorly against the Dogs the week before?
There is an endemic inability to pick the right team and to think outside the square which once again led to a wasted opportunity in 2018.

Gareth67

First Grade
I understand where you're coming from but there were plenty of pressure cooker games during the season where we would have benefitted from the young guys getting a decent run.
The ability that Lomax showed during his 2 game cameo just proves that we had serious options to both Aitkin and Lafai if the coach was prepared to experiment during the season.
Mann is also such an accomplished centre that a combination with Lomax would have shored up that right side defence and probably assured us of a top 4 spot and two bites of the cherry.
Can you imagine the team that played the Broncos, performing so poorly against the Dogs the week before?
There is an endemic inability to pick the right team and to think outside the square which once again led to a wasted opportunity in 2018.

Dennis I can only agree with what you have said as I believe most of us would - yes - yes and yes again , of course they should had been selected throughout the season , but they were not , that my friend is why I say that the games that they HAD played in recent weeks have in some small way compensated for that lost opportunity .

IF the maestro had selected them then hopefully the Dragons would had won more games and they would not find themselves out of the competition , but they are - gone for 2018 .

What could had been and what is are two entirely seperate entities - of which one is reality and the other being mere wishful thinking .

Dennis I can only agree with what you have said as I believe most of us would - yes - yes and yes again , of course they should had been selected throughout the season , but they were not , that my friend is why I say that the games that they HAD played in recent weeks have in some small way compensated for that lost opportunity .

IF the maestro had selected them then hopefully the Dragons would had won more games and they would not find themselves out of the competition , but they are - gone for 2018 .

What could had been and what is are two entirely seperate entities - of which one is reality and the other being mere wishful thinking .
I suppose it's obvious in hindsight but what I found very puzzling throughout the season was the selection and structure of our three quarter line.
McGregor was a decorated representative centre and yet we could not plug up that right side defence which ultimately conceded 40% of all the tries scored against us.
You would think that this could have been sorted much earlier and proactively.
Yes, you're right.
Watching the new chums in action in the semis was a consolation for sure.