What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Provisional Tri-Series and ENC draw

yakstorm

First Grade
The first provisional draw for the 2004 European Nations Cup and Tri-Series tournaments has been released, and whilst no venues have been announced, there is the indication that Australia and New Zealand will play their respective fixtures against each other downunder.

Tournament kicks off one day after the Super League Grand final, with Australia and New Zealand scheduled to play each other on Sunday October 17, and then match up again just five days later. Surprisingly Great Britain V Australia which would be one of the premier matches of the tournament is placed on a Tuesday night, with all other matches featuring on Saturdays.

Australia is pencilled in to play Wales and France during off weeks in the tournament, however that match against Wales may be changed to being against England A or another nation after Neil Kelly’s comments last year.

A match between New Zealand and France and even Great Britain and France are expected to be added to the final fixture list.

The provisional draw as released in the Guardian Newspaper:
Satuday 16 October Super League Grand Final
Sunday 17 October Australia v New Zealand
Friday 22 October Australia v New Zealand
Saturday 23 October Wales v Russia / Ireland v France (ENC)
Tuesday 26 October Great Britain v Australia
Saturday 30 October England v Russia / France v Scotland (ENC)
Sunday 31 October Great Britain v New Zealand
Monday 1 November Wales v Australia
Saturday 6 November Great Britain v Australia / Wales v England / Scotland v Ireland (ENC)
Saturday 13 November Great Britain v New Zealand / France v Australia
Saturday 20 November Tri-Nations Final
Sunday 21 November ENC final

griff

Bench
yakstorm said:
The provisional draw as released in the Guardian Newspaper:
Satuday 16 October Super League Grand Final
Sunday 17 October Australia v New Zealand
Friday 22 October Australia v New Zealand
Saturday 23 October Wales v Russia / Ireland v France (ENC)
Tuesday 26 October Great Britain v Australia
Saturday 30 October England v Russia / France v Scotland (ENC)
Sunday 31 October Great Britain v New Zealand
Monday 1 November Wales v Australia
Saturday 6 November Great Britain v Australia / Wales v England / Scotland v Ireland (ENC)
Saturday 13 November Great Britain v New Zealand / France v Australia
Saturday 20 November Tri-Nations Final
Sunday 21 November ENC final

That Tuesday date is a bit strange. I would have thought it would have been better to play NZ on that date.

I guess their thinking is two-fold

1) They pay Australia back for the 2002 whitewash by playing them a couple of days after they get off a 24-hr flight.
2) They would hope for a full house against Australia whenever they play them, but would need a Saturday to get a good crowd against NZ.

Great to see Aus v France. Hopefully it is a proper test match against France this time and not some French Select XIII.

I have never been a fan of the Tri-Series but I am beginning to warm to it.

Any news on the outcome of the TV negotiations? I'm hoping some of those Saturdays and Sundays will be afternoons on BBC instead of nights on Sky.

Jeffles

Bench
Huge mistake to play any match on a Tuesday.

Hopefully Aust vs NZ is played Down Under.

Again the ENC is shafted because of its clash with GB. I wouldn't be surprised if we got the same 1000ish crowds this year. Then again when else do you play it?

The best thing to come out of this is that we may see the french play some matches against the team not playing the Tri Series match that day. Excellent!

yakstorm

First Grade
Thing about the ENC is that at least it is being played. Hopefully the RFL will take it to grounds which are more likely to get crowds, like New River Stadium or Gateshead.

Remember this is still only a 'provisional' draw, there is a good chance there will be a number of changes.

Like I reckon the ENC final will be moved to the Sunday after the Tri-Series final (unless it is a warm up game) and the ENC matches of Wales v England / Scotland v Ireland will possibly be moved to Sunday as well.

Jeffles

Bench
That's true. at least it is being played.

Taking it to RL heartlands is also a good idea. 1500 looks better at Whitehaven then it does in Odsal, etc. I hope there are some changes to scheduling.

carlnz

Bench
That means France will have to send a full strength team if they are going to play Australia, NZ and GB!!! Then we will see how far they have come in recent years!!!

Thats 16 International (plus the possiblity of two more) Matches of some of the top teams in the space of just over a month!!!

I have died and gone to heaven!!!!!!!!!
:lol: :lol:

While all these great things are happening for these teams, lets not forget about the Pacific!!!!!!!!

carlnz

Bench
I also think Wales should play Australia, Just to see how much they have improved since the got delt to last time......because if they dont want to play Australia i can bet you that Russia would....they would get beaten buy a 120, but they would still want to play them.....

ali

Bench
Not bad. My only change would be to mix up the pools of the ENC as they are they are exactly the same as this year. But atleast its on again. That is a lot of International RL to be played in 1 month.

carlnz

Bench
Mate they have to start bringing Internationals down under, im sick of only seeing the Kiwis once a year...I would love to watch Samoa or Tonga tour here again...

I think the best thing about playing the same teams again is to see who improves or gets worse from last year!!! Comon Russia I know you can drop those scores by at least 20 points!!!! #-o

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
maybe they should put the ENC final on before the tri series final,atleast there would be a massive crowd on hand to watch england A win,then they may see G.B take out the big 1.

Now that would be good for pommy league supporters.

carlnz

Bench
I dunno, if France sent there top team it might be different.......And depends how well Wales go in there match against England