What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PS2 mag out now with review!

Dragon

Coach
prince_cover.jpg

It came out today, with a review of Rugby League, havnt been able to pick up a copy.

Hopefully get it tomorrow :)

Caged Panther

First Grade
Not owning a ps2 they I didn't buy the mag but I did read the review. Overall they were very positive. The comment that stood out the most for me the one that said "'Rugby League far exceeds what we've come to expect from Rugby or AFL live."

Or something to that effect anyway :D :D

Tupac Shakur

First Grade
Caged Panther said:
Not owning a ps2 they I didn't buy the mag but I did read the review. Overall they were very positive. The comment that stood out the most for me the one that said "'Rugby League far exceeds what we've come to expect from Rugby or AFL live."

Or something to that effect anyway :D :D

Yeah thats a nice quote.

ghoti

Bench
I got the magazine today. There are about 6 new shots (which all look awesome by the way) and what they wrote was very promising. It got 8/10 overall with 8 for graphics, 7 for sound and gameplay and 8 for lifespan.

The main points they had to say were these:

- Praised the Matrix style kicking but they said bombs and chips occur in real time.

- Player switching isn't very good as the player selected isn't always the closest to the ball.

- Praises the AI

- Praised the stadium graphics but weren't too impressed by player detail and grass as it didn't deteriorate.

- Praised the dynamic crowd system which relates to the teams playing.

- Said the auto replays aren't very affective as they break up the flow of the game.

I recommend getting the mag as the screenshots look really cool and there is a Prince of Persia demo with the game which is brilliant.

Great mag the ol OPS2.

Mario

Juniors
Max01 said:
- Player switching isn't very good as the player selected isn't always the closest to the ball.

True, the player switching isn't based on 'closest'.

If you switch during a play of the ball, it will switch to someone in the defensive line rather than a marker.

If you switch during general play, it will switch to the person who is most likely to be able to intercept the ball carrier. For example, someone quick breaks your line. You have a slow player who is closest, but based on the relative running speeds and direction would not be able to catch the ball carrier. You also have a quick player who could catch the ball carrier but is further away initially. Switching in this instance will put you in control of your quicker player.

manlysucks

Juniors
Im a PE3 nut, and I think its the greatest sport game out there, but I sometimes find my self criticing the way when you change player, it changes to some one you don't want it too. But that takes nothing away from the game at all.
Two 8/10.That is so AWESOME for a first go at League.Also is it SIDHE's first big game development? If it is, they have struck gold big time. About 3 weeks to go now, and I cant wait.

Seeyas

ChiaPete

Juniors
My favourite quote from the review "Rugby League excels over Rugby 2004 & AFL Live 2004". I was patient before I read the review, but now I'm itching to play bring on mid December.

I want my Oompa Loompa NOW!

Pete
GO BULLDOGS

Dragon

Coach
Crazy John, Im pretty sure that Rugby got 7. I think that was generous by the guys at PS2 magazine.

KimmorleyKiller

Juniors
ChiaPete said:
My favourite quote from the review "Rugby League excels over Rugby 2004 & AFL Live 2004". I was patient before I read the review, but now I'm itching to play bring on mid December.

I want my Oompa Loompa NOW!

Pete
GO BULLDOGS

lol ive been itching for about 6 months now GOD LET ME SLEEP!!!
(by god i mean sidhe)

Mario

Juniors
crazy john said:
Sorry for not being up to date with this but does anyone know what other sports games have scored?

For comparison

Gamepro

Rugby League 8/10
FIFA 2004 7.5/10
SSX 3 7.5/10

OPSM2

Rugby League 8/10
EA Rugby 2004 7/10

Congrats to the Sidhe team and everyone else involved, well done to get the better reviews, especially since this is your first attempt at a league game and to the other companies that have been around for a while, putting out the other sports games. Maybe they should have listened to all of us league fans out there and produced a game for US, the fans.

thanks u. 8)

Latest posts