What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PS3 Launch date and price

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
me and my brother plan to go halves with the ps3,

as much as im enjoying my 360..i really want to play mgs and ff lol.

also with the strong rumours of the ff7 getting stronger by the day its basically sold me.

Martli

Coach
I'll get a PS3 once a few games come out. Probably wrestling ones :p.

I'll probably rent a Wii with Zelda and see if its any good, i'm fan of zelda so if I like it i'll buy that too.

DeeGan

Bench
I am definately purchasing after recently having it confirmed the PS3 will be regions free which will allow us play import games from overseas - about time! :D

JoeD

First Grade
November launch date for latest Playstation

By Peter Nowak

Sony's Playstation 3 console looks like it's going to pack quite a wallop - both in gaming power and to consumers' wallets.

The Japanese company's long-awaited next-generation console launches on November 11 in Japan and on November 17 in the rest of the world.

Based on current exchange rates, the PS3 will retail in New Zealand for $999 with a 20 gigabyte hard drive, and $1199 for a 60GB version.

"It's relative to what it is," said Warwick Light, general manager of sales and marketing for Sony Computer Entertainment New Zealand, of the pricing.

The current-generation Playstation 2, released five years ago, also sold for $999 on launch.

But the PS3 is priced significantly higher than its main next-generation console rival, Microsoft's Xbox 360, which went on sale here in March with a price tag around $750.

Light, speaking from the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) in Los Angeles, said the PS3 had significant advantages over the Xbox 360.

The console's "Cell" processor has twice the computing power of its rival and, when combined with Nvidia's RSX graphics chip, games developers will be limited only by their imaginations, Light said.

While the combined processing power may not be immediately apparent in some of the launch titles, future games will start to look like "something that's never been seen before".

Sony has also chosen to include a high-definition DVD player with the PS3.

Sony and Microsoft are on different sides of the fence in supporting two competing high-definition DVD standards, with the Japanese company pushing its Blu-ray version and the software giant favouring the HD-DVD model.

Microsoft hedged its bets and held off on incorporating a high-definition player into the 360, going instead with standard definition. The company announced at E3 it would sell an add-on HD-DVD player for the 360 in the United States by Christmas, but declined to set a price. Sony has fully committed to Blu-ray with the PS3, with the console's DVD player supporting the format. All PS3 games and movies will be Blu-ray.

Market analysts say the decision is a big gamble for Sony, as it's still too early to say which of the two competing standards will eventually win with consumers.

Light said that with half the major movie studios, two big record labels and the adult film industry so far committing to Blu-ray, the move isn't that big a risk for the company.

The PS3 will also feature an innovative "4D" wireless controller, which has a motion sensor that detects its user's movements. In effect, the user will be able to direct on-screen action simply by moving the controller rather than through its directional pad.

Not all games will support this feature, and users will be able to toggle it on and off, Light said.

The PS3's controllers also connect through Bluetooth and the console will be able to support up to seven at a time, rather than the four that have become standard - a feature that raises some intriguing multi-player gaming possibilities.

Sony is planning to launch eight of its own titles with the console, and the company expects up to 20 - including a new Final Fantasy role-playing game - to be available in November.

The console will also feature media centre capabilities similar to the 360's, including USB connectivity, which means it will be able to work with MP3 players and digital cameras.

It will also have wireless connectivity with Sony's Playstation Portable, which will integrate with PS3 games. The PSP, for example, could act as a virtual rearview mirror in driving games, Light said.

Sony also plans to claw back some of Microsoft's lead in online gaming with the launch of a networked community, to be launched at the same time as the PS3.

Users will be able to download game content, such as songs for the Singstar karaoke title, and use voice-over-internet to have conversations. Users will also be able to use the PS3's camera to upload videos of themselves performing Singstar songs, for sharing with the community.

Sony could also potentially use the online component to sell music downloads from its huge catalogue of artists. Light said there was no immediate plan to do so, but added that there is an intention to do so in the future.

The PS3's online capabilities could possibly be limited in New Zealand, where broadband speeds and download limits could be problematic.

The console is designed to be online at all times - Light said users will be able to download content while watching a movie, for example - which could result in users chewing through their meagre limits very quickly.

"We won't know the effects until we beta test it with Telecom," Light said.

Over all, the PS3 is of huge importance to ailing Sony, which has seen its fortunes fall in recent times.

The company in April forecast sharp drops in operating profit at many of its divisions in the year ahead, and also reported a 66.5 billion ($961 million) fourth-quarter loss - worse than its 56.5 billion loss for the same period a year earlier.

"Playstation 3 has been identified as an absolute key product in Sony's lineup," Light said.
from http://www.nzherald.co.nz/search/story.cfm?storyid=0001C0FB-FD73-1462-B1D483027AF1010F

nöyd

Staff member
I heard on the news the other night (I missed most of it because I was at work) that when the PS3 goes on sale in Australia it will be $750.00

Caged Panther

First Grade
nöyd said:
I heard on the news the other night (I missed most of it because I was at work) that when the PS3 goes on sale in Australia it will be $750.00

I saw the back end of that report to. Funny thing is Sony Aust earlier that day had issued a press release confirming the Aust price to be $825 for the 20gig and $999 for the 60gig

Caged Panther

First Grade
E3 2006: PLAYSTATION 3 delivers the goods

Sony Pictures' enormous studio facility at Culver City, Los Angeles, once again played host to Sony Computer Entertainment's pre-E3 press conference on Monday. Senior figures from around the organisation presented a huge line-up of announcements, leaving the audience in no doubt as to the true potential of PLAYSTATION 3.

The President of SCEA, Kaz Hirai, kicked things off with a reminder of the huge continuing success of both PS2 and PSP (PlayStation Portable), but the bulk of the conference was devoted to PS3. Got your diary ready? PS3 will be launched in Australa (in "Clear Black" colour) on November 17th, in two configurations - choose between a 20GB hard disk drive (HDD) or 60GB version, priced at 829 and 999 $AUD respectively.
Let the games commence

Phil Harrison - head of Sony Worldwide Studios - then took to the stage, introducing the incredible variety of games currently in development by Sony teams. Gran Turismo HD, a prototype produced by Polyphony Digital, featured crisp 1080p graphics running at a smooth 60 frames per second, giving an indication of the leap in quality we can expect from the next in the "billion dollar franchise."

Eye of Judgement showcased advances in EyeToy camera technology. An innovative card battle game, it allows players to place real cards on a grid, with the PS3 superimposing monsters over the real-world scene to bring the confrontations to life.

SingStar was then introduced in its next-gen guise, looking glorious thanks to a high definition makeover. Perhaps most impressive from the Sony stable, though, was Heavenly Sword, first unveiled in video form at last year's E3. Looking incredible, the game's heroine sliced her way through some furiously intense combat scenes, barely using the same move twice; the real-time demo set new standards in terms of animation and sheer bombast.

These games were just the beginning of a full-on software showcase, with the long list of Sony-published games followed up with an extensive look at the titles coming from the industry's most respected names. Check this site later today for more on all the games shown.

It's all in control

After the games came more long-awaited information, this time regarding the finalised controller design. Looking more familiar than the prototype shown last year, the iconic and much-loved DualShock shape has been refined to perfection. Even better, the innards hide a revolutionary new ability; the PS3 controller is motion-sensitive across six axes, paving the way for entirely new methods of interaction. Check out the article elsewhere on the site for more on the stunning new controller.

With that final cat let out the bag, the lights came up and lucky audience members were free to try PS3 for themselves for the first time. PLAYSTATION 3 has begun what's set to be a very special week in the world of videogames: be sure to check the site regularly for more on all things PlayStation over the coming days.

http://www.playstation.com.au/news/ps3_release_confirmed.jhtml

Latest posts