What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pull the finger out Burt

fredericko

Juniors
Burt needs to pull the finger out if he is going to stay in 1st grade.

1. He always misses bombs when teh defence is running through and he will have to take a hit. Last week end was embaressing to watch.
2. He has no urgency returning kicks and his metres gained each week is the lowest of all fullbacks.
3. He hardly ever takes the next hit up after a kick has been returned by the wingers and teh forwards are struggling to get back.
4. His support play is just not there for all the talk aboout it. So many times have Mateo and others turned with their arms free and no one is there. Follow Mateo around the park Burt it is not rocket science.
5. Last week when Souths made a break down the wing and Hindmarsh ran across to help push the bloke into touch Burt was standing about 3-5 metres closer to the play and made no effort to get there in cover. Hindy had to run past him to get there.
6. Where is his kicking game? He can kick a good long ball but is hardly ever doing so? (Glad he no longer does the kick offs though Inu is going gr8)

I would rather see Inu at fullback and TT in the centres. Leave Hayne at pivot he will get better and his defence on teh fringes is great. Hayne and Inu are two players I want to see with the ball in their hands as often as possible.

bartman

Immortal
I think his spot is safe personally... I can't see him being shifted by DA.

When you're at a game live you see the amount of organising that Burt is doing in defence, constantly talking to and pointing for his wingers, so they can stay in position. We don't have anyone in the club that can do that vital part of being a fullback well.

Not Hayne, not Inu, not Reddy. That part of Burt's play is what will hopefully stop us leaking points down the sides this season - it certainly worked a treat against Souths.

I think Hayne is at 6 because he is second string to every player in the other backline positions - not as reliable in setting the defence from fullback as Burt, not as in form as Reddy and Grothe on the wings, and not any better at centre than Smith and Inu. If it's not broke, don't fix it imo...

Dirty Mutombo

Juniors

When you're at a game live you see the amount of organising that Burt is doing in defence, constantly talking to and pointing for his wingers, so they can stay in position. We don't have anyone in the club that can do that vital part of being a fullback well.

Not Hayne, not Inu, not Reddy. That part of Burt's play is what will hopefully stop us leaking points down the sides this season - it certainly worked a treat against Souths.

I think Hayne is at 6 because he is second string to every player in the other backline positions - not as reliable in setting the defence from fullback as Burt, not as in form as Reddy and Grothe on the wings, and not any better at centre than Smith and Inu. If it's not broke, don't fix it imo...

I usually like what u gotta say dude, but thats Your Worst post of all time

Last edited:

Dirty Mutombo

Juniors
Burt needs to pull the finger out if he is going to stay in 1st grade.

1. He always misses bombs when teh defence is running through and he will have to take a hit. Last week end was embaressing to watch.
2. He has no urgency returning kicks and his metres gained each week is the lowest of all fullbacks.
3. He hardly ever takes the next hit up after a kick has been returned by the wingers and teh forwards are struggling to get back.
4. His support play is just not there for all the talk aboout it. So many times have Mateo and others turned with their arms free and no one is there. Follow Mateo around the park Burt it is not rocket science.
5. Last week when Souths made a break down the wing and Hindmarsh ran across to help push the bloke into touch Burt was standing about 3-5 metres closer to the play and made no effort to get there in cover. Hindy had to run past him to get there.
6. Where is his kicking game? He can kick a good long ball but is hardly ever doing so? (Glad he no longer does the kick offs though Inu is going gr8)

I would rather see Inu at fullback and TT in the centres. Leave Hayne at pivot he will get better and his defence on teh fringes is great. Hayne and Inu are two players I want to see with the ball in their hands as often as possible.

Agree 100%

Everything you said is correct.

Bartman, firstly Hayne is 5/8th because DanielAnderson WANTS him involved more. WANTS him getting more touches, because he is one of the 3 best attacking players in the side. Not because his last in the pecking order, that is an insane comment.

Secondly, Burts finger pointing and waving from the back may satisfy you as to what a fullbacks role is, it didnt seem to work when we leaked 26 in the first 50mins against the Warriors, or all of last season. If Hayne is being told to 'grow into' arguably the most involved attacking position on the field i'm sure he could 'grow into' communicating better from the back, if as you are saying this is indeed a problem.

Perhaps Luke should point at himself to show more commitment, urgency and passion out on the field.

bartman

Immortal
I usually like what u gotta say dude, but thats Your Worst post of all time
No dramas.

I just think Burt does a lot more than people sometimes see. And suspect Jarryd was slotted into the "empty" backline spot by DA, as a put up or shut up type of ploy. So far it's working, we don't have many problems at least in defence based on last week. Hopefully the combos in attack will get better with time.

bartman

Immortal
Bartman, firstly Hayne is 5/8th because DanielAnderson WANTS him involved more. WANTS him getting more touches, because he is one of the 3 best attacking players in the side. Not because his last in the pecking order, that is an insane comment.
I would have said wants him to earn his contract money, otherwise DA might fancy other ways to spend it. But at the end of the day we're all happier if Jarryd can show the consistent attacking flair he once brought to the team. Leave Hayne at 6, if it aint broke don't fix it.

Secondly, Burts finger pointing and waving from the back may satisfy you as to what a fullbacks role is, it didnt seem to work when we leaked 26 in the first 50mins against the Warriors, or all of last season.
True. But I wasn't at that game live to see if Burt was up to scratch, you can't see that stuff on TV. Apart from the first bomb, he was fine in the Rabbitohs game. Leave Burt at 1, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

If Hayne is being told to 'grow into' arguably the most involved attacking position on the field i'm sure he could 'grow into' communicating better from the back, if as you are saying this is indeed a problem.
Someone has to grow into it in case Burt is injured, or retires at the end of the year. Hayne's had his chance at 1, and hasn't been able to displace Burt from first choice fullback at the start of the season under two different coaches. I hope he grows into the 6, as that's what we'll need in the future.

Eels Dude

Coach
There's so many different styles of fullback out there. Burt has his weaknesses but he also has his strengths. He's a solid goalkicker, general play kicker, a terrific support runner and has strong organisational skills. He may lack a bit in other areas but overall he's a good fullback rather than a great fullback and you cannot have great players in every position on the ground.

I think everyone is being too hard on him for the Sandow try. It was a very difficult spiraling bomb which was made even more difficult by the fact it was so close to the uprights and crossbar.

Dirty Mutombo

Juniors
I would have said wants him to earn his contract money, otherwise DA might fancy other ways to spend it. But at the end of the day we're all happier if Jarryd can show the consistent attacking flair he once brought to the team. Leave Hayne at 6, if it aint broke don't fix it.

True. But I wasn't at that game live to see if Burt was up to scratch, you can't see that stuff on TV. Apart from the first bomb, he was fine in the Rabbitohs game. Leave Burt at 1, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Someone has to grow into it in case Burt is injured, or retires at the end of the year. Hayne's had his chance at 1, and hasn't been able to displace Burt from first choice fullback at the start of the season under two different coaches. I hope he grows into the 6, as that's what we'll need in the future.

Thanks for the reply mate, hope I didnt sound too harsh.

The sad thing in my mind is I think he actually had one of his better games in a long time on Friday night (letting the bomb bounce aside). & it was still a 5/10 performance. The quality teams have fullbacks whose worst performance is about 6/10. In my mind anyway.

Positive is I thought it was an improved effort on his shocker the week before and last season.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Id leave Burt at no1, he isnt doing to badly
Last thing we need to do is chop and change the backline, for the sake of choping and changing
Hopefully we can have a settled line up, and just continue to improve

Bazal

Post Whore
LOL....I'm amazed it took this long for the weekly "Burt Sucks" thread to come out of the woodwork. Deadset, I'm constantly amazed at the bagging the poor bloke cops even after playing a very good game as he did on Friday night. He was positionally sound all night, made a very good bust, threatened to slip tackles on several kick returns and kicked 3/3. The one mistake he mad was off an incredibly good bomb aimed directly at the uprights that I'd challenege anyone, NRL fullback or not, to catch.

In response to this drivel...

fredericko said:

1-What was embarrassing...he missed one bomb, and a very good one. He didn't make another error all night. You want to crucify him on one bomb? It's spelt A-G-E-N-D-A

2-And yet he still returns it better than Hayne, who runs like a prancing twat from the back. He's not a big guy, why the hell do people still want him smashing it back like Hunt or McKinnon? They both have 10kg and 15cm on him, at least. He tries to slip through the line, and almost did it on two occaisions this past weekend.

3-We have several excellent, big backs to do this (eg Grothe, Inu, Ben Smith and even Reddy these days)...why get the small agile fullback to take a hitup? What a stupid thing to say...Never mind his nippy dummy half runs from our end, which you've conveniently ignored...

4-His support is the best in the side...I suggest you watch him closely, he's generally hanging around the ball runner. Just because he doesn't always get the ball means nothing except that, as a team, our timings are out. It's been two rounds, what do you expect. Also, Hayne especially has been brought closer to the action to do pretty much this...act as a ball runner and supporter. Why can't he do it too? Or Inu? Or Reddy? Are you going to make threads about them too?

5-Ever played fullback? Burt was doing his job...covering the support. If he runs across, makes the tackle, but Best offloads and they score, then I bet you blame him too...Hindy and Hayne had Best covered, someone needed to cover his support on the inside

6-Finch, whether of his own accord or on Andersons orders, is taking nearly all the kicks. This weekend he made 484 kick metres...in comparison, the other capable kickers in our side made 34 (Burt), 22 (M Keating) and 85 (K Keating)....

yy_cheng

Coach
4-His support is the best in the side...I suggest you watch him closely, he's generally hanging around the ball runner. Just because he doesn't always get the ball means nothing except that, as a team, our timings are out. It's been two rounds, what do you expect. Also, Hayne especially has been brought closer to the action to do pretty much this...act as a ball runner and supporter. Why can't he do it too? Or Inu? Or Reddy? Are you going to make threads about them too?

I thought he was mia on Friday on this point.

Anyway from the TV perspective he was :)D) as I tend to look at these things.

Whereas in Mckinnon's case, you see him near the ruck all the time.

And you see him more often than not, running pass the ruck because the ball carrier didn't pass.

I really wish that Burt would make himself more involved in this case as a number of times, Mateo looked, but no one was around.

I'd like to see how little amount of offloads mateo did against souths.

On Mateo, I think he has learnt to be selective instead of throwing hail mary's

Binga

Juniors
LOL....I'm amazed it took this long for the weekly "Burt Sucks" thread to come out of the woodwork. Deadset, I'm constantly amazed at the bagging the poor bloke cops even after playing a very good game as he did on Friday night. He was positionally sound all night, made a very good bust, threatened to slip tackles on several kick returns and kicked 3/3. The one mistake he mad was off an incredibly good bomb aimed directly at the uprights that I'd challenege anyone, NRL fullback or not, to catch.

In response to this drivel...

1-What was embarrassing...he missed one bomb, and a very good one. He didn't make another error all night. You want to crucify him on one bomb? It's spelt A-G-E-N-D-A

2-And yet he still returns it better than Hayne, who runs like a prancing twat from the back. He's not a big guy, why the hell do people still want him smashing it back like Hunt or McKinnon? They both have 10kg and 15cm on him, at least. He tries to slip through the line, and almost did it on two occaisions this past weekend.

3-We have several excellent, big backs to do this (eg Grothe, Inu, Ben Smith and even Reddy these days)...why get the small agile fullback to take a hitup? What a stupid thing to say...Never mind his nippy dummy half runs from our end, which you've conveniently ignored...

5-Ever played fullback? Burt was doing his job...covering the support. If he runs across, makes the tackle, but Best offloads and they score, then I bet you blame him too...Hindy and Hayne had Best covered, someone needed to cover his support on the inside

6-Finch, whether of his own accord or on Andersons orders, is taking nearly all the kicks. This weekend he made 484 kick metres...in comparison, the other capable kickers in our side made 34 (Burt), 22 (M Keating) and 85 (K Keating)....

Finally some sense in this whole debate.. agree 100%

Ron Jeremy

Coach

Shocking post bartman, really biased statement with no idea.

Burt is an ordinary fullback, the sooner you realise that the better.

And Hayne was a big reason why we didn't leak any points, not bloody Burt, you do remember that pathetic attempt at catching a bomb dont you?oh yeah it was swirling :lol: they're taught to catch those at training.

Burt pointing and talking blah blah, EVERY FULLBACK DOES THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If Burt was that good every club would want him, no one does hence why he's not on a huge contract, he's average and his contract amount states that too.

Ron Jeremy

Coach

They practice taking those at training, i've never seen a more horrible attempt at catching a bomb in my life EVER, it was an embarrasment to Parramatta and its fans, everyone was laughing at it, and not only that, he made zero attempt to try and clean up the mess he made and Sandow scored.

Hayne runs it far better and is alot more comfortable under the bomb.

After 10 years in first grade you'd think Burt would be ablt to grapsed the fundamentals of the game, like catching a bomb, which by the way he has a history of such attempts, Souths knew it hence why they bombed him all night.

Hayne was defensively one of our best players, he pretty much saved us the game with his desperation.

Who remembers Burts attempt at tackle at the scrum againt the Warriors? another moment in the fringe first graders career:lol:

Bazal

Post Whore
They practice taking those at training, i've never seen a more horrible attempt at catching a bomb in my life EVER, it was an embarrasment to Parramatta and its fans, everyone was laughing at it, and not only that, he made zero attempt to try and clean up the mess he made and Sandow scored.

Hayne runs it far better and is alot more comfortable under the bomb.

After 10 years in first grade you'd think Burt would be ablt to grapsed the fundamentals of the game, like catching a bomb, which by the way he has a history of such attempts, Souths knew it hence why they bombed him all night.

:lol:Jeez you can be a funny bloke Ronnie :D

I've noticed you've not once mentioned that the bomb fell right between the uprights dead on the tryline...any reason for that? ;-)

Hayne runs like a prancing nitwit, never puts his body on the line and looks like a fool trying to do a Benji-esque step every two feet

And all night? Tell me, which bombs did he miss aside that very good first effort? You wouldn't be making things up would you? :p

Last edited:

Dirty Mutombo

Juniors
I remember Minichiello wen he first got to fullback had average hands. & Ricky Stuart told hi he didnt give a F%$k if he dropped the bomb, but he was to at least attack it & get a hand on it. Theres an argument for this and an argument for getting into the lottery by letting it bounce.

Personally id much prefer it if my teams fullback attacked everything he did (see Mini, Slater, Hunt , Wade Mc, B Stewart, Patten, even Presto and Matty Bowen). Mistakes are part of the game, not having a go at it he might as well not be there.

WA Eel

Juniors
Love him or hate him, but what you can not deny is that he spent 10 years are a regular first grader to 4 different coaches. They can't all be playing favourites by picking every week him can they?

He's played 2 games this season, and done reasonably well. That bomb,as others have said, would have challenged anybody.

That said, if there was any chnage made, I would be interested to see how Reddy goes at fullback.

Stagger eel

Staff member
mmm!! 13 posts about bagging Burt and they haven't even been deleted yet!

I guess the Terrigal tool/ park footballer / failed muso ...can't whinge about that one..

atleast he was the only one out there to make a clean break..I can't remember anyone else doing so.

Latest posts