What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Purtell reveals fears for life

raidersforme

Juniors
Purtell reveals fears for his life 'It missed my heart and went into my lung which is kind of luck
David Jean
space.gif

Canberra Raiders centre Adrian Purtell could have died if a routine physiotherapy appointment on Thursday hadn't led to the discovery of a blood clot lodged in his lungs. Purtell yesterday revealed how close he came to death after doctors discovered he was suffering from deep vein thrombosis - a blood clot formed in his groin.
While his teammates were flying to the Gold Coast on Saturday, Purtell was checking himself into hospital on the advice of club doctor Kylie Selwood.
There doctors discovered a piece of the clot had travelled to his lungs, narrowly missing his heart.
Purtell will be on blood-thinning medication for between three and six months and cannot play during that time.
But after coming to terms with how serious his condition was, he was just thankful football was the only thing he had lost.
"I don't think I realised the seriousness of it when I first found out," Purtell said.
"I was asking the doctor if I could fast-track it and maybe come back and play in six weeks, but when I saw her at the airport just before they left she said I had to go straight to emergency.
"If it was a bigger clot and in a different past of the lung it could have been very different.
"It missed my heart and went into my lung which is kind of lucky I suppose."
Doctors first diagnosed Purtell with the condition on Friday after he had complained to a team physiotherapist of calf soreness.
He said the past four days had made him realise how lucky he was.
Purtell planned to return to his home in Albury for the next fortnight and was hopeful of returning to the field before the season was over.
"It's a realisation that I am human.
"I go out with my mates and enjoy the good times but at times like this I realise how close I am to my family and how much I miss them and how much I appreciate my life.
"If I get everything right and I've done all my weight training and my fitness there will be a couple of weeks to go [in the season] and maybe I might be able to get a start in premier league or something like that.
"I'm hoping to play footy as soon as I can."
The loss of Purtell is a huge blow for the Raiders, who are already suffering a severe shortage of outside backs.
He has proven a revelation since moving from the wing to the centres in round five.
He has scored six tries since then, including three against St George Illawarra in round 11.
Purtell said his desire to play football again would be a major motivational factor in his battle to regain his health.
"It's the one motivational point in my life," he said.
"It's my job, it's what I've wanted to do since I was a kid and definitely it's the one thing that keeps me going and the one thing I'm looking forward to once I'm healthy."
Raiders backs Phil Graham (knee), Brett Kelly (ankle) and David Howell (groin) are also sidelined for extended periods, while winger Colin Best is an outside chance of returning from a neck injury in time for Saturday's Canberra Stadium clash with Parramatta.
The Raiders have also released Steve Irwin and Craig Frawley from their contracts, leaving them dangerously short of options in the outside backs.
Coach Neil Henry is likely to draft premier league speedster Brad Cross into his squad today, while the club is negotiating a short-term contract with former Raider James Buser.
Buser, who played two first-grade games for the Raiders in 2002, is currently playing for Yass in the Canberra Raiders Cup.
Henry said the former Australian waterskiing champion would train with the Raiders' part-time squad to add depth in the outside backs.
The Raiders are also likely to be without back-rowers Tom Learoyd-Lahrs (quad) and Neville Costigan (State of Origin) on Saturday, but forward Glen Turner should return from a back injury.

http://canberra.yourguide.com.au/de... league&story_id=592817&category=Rugby League

Macko8

Juniors
Well thats just great than isnt it FFS. TLL must still have a bit of pain from the cork.
It sounds like his going to play colin best??????wtf?? Put him in premier league to show some form first.

Good news is sounds like brad cross might be in. James Buser ive heard of him never actually seen him play, does anyone remember if he was good???

Latest posts