What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Push Wes out!

seedy

Juniors
What is Brain Smith doing with Wes in the centres,a st george he was only ever used in the centres to cover injurys.Last friday night Wes had real trouble reading the attack of the eels early on in the game.I have been impressed by Kieth leiea(spell check) in defence and his attack against the eels was first class which was a big step up from the manly game!My Knights backline when all fit would be.[/SIZE]
1:Gids
2:Vuna
3:Leiea
4:Doogs
5:Wes
What do u guys think?

roopy

Referee
An interesting option.
If Smith moved him to the wing i'd be keen to see how he went, but he probably won't.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Rather than move him, I am sure Smith will correct the issue through coaching.

Many good centres would end up on the wing when Gasiner and Cooper are in the team.

Hanscholo

Bench
Seedy, Wes is the best defensive back we have at this point, he belongs in the centres imo. Our wingers are currently in good form and working well enough. There is a case to say that Wes would assist our kick defusal issue some but his defence is screaming centre to me. He has composure when numbers go at him, he smashes people solo. The game has changed a lot and the two positions that have changed a great deal are centre and 5/8. Both positions are now much more defensive than they used to be, and require a well organised player able to make good decisions and to put ball and all tackles on back rowers that drive them back. Its a really tough position to fill, I wouldnt be going for an attacking option there unless all of the defensive boxes were ticked first.

Going off what StGeorge does with players is a really poor basis for logic. In saying that with the 3/4 line they have had over the years Naqaima has been shifted to the wing a few times just because of the other players available.

As for Doogs, I wouldnt be the slightest bit concerned if he never plays another first grade match for us. He is a defensive liability, he is easy to get behind on kicks and you never know if he is about to knock himself out, one of his team mates or someone else with his frantic running and spur of the moment ball distribution. He is well passed his best.

Yosh

Coach
I never thought much of Wes but it seems he is probably our best centre at the moment... Not a HUGE fan of Lulia, tad slow, big but a tad slow off the mark... Doesnt really supply Vuna that well either... I would seriously love to see McManus where Lulia is and UATE to make his FG debut... We need a more potent backline... Im sure if those cross field kicks were going to Uate instead of Vuna we would have a higher sucess rate...

NthKnight

Wes was 2nd rate on the wing when he was playing for the Dragons. He is far better suited to the centre position where his size and strengh can be put to better use as proven already this season.

Spitty

Juniors
Correct me if I'm wrong but only 2 tries have been scored down out right side defence this season (Wes's side). Both on Friday night and one of them was a fluke.

Our left hand side (Mad Dog, Lulia and Vuna) on the other hand have conceded 4 tries. At least 1 per game and none of them flukes.

IF a change needed to be made Wes would be near the bottom of my list.

KniGhTs BaTTLeR

Juniors
Alot of talk is about our centers not supplying our wingers. But when you think about it they don't know each others games they probably haven't got many set moves at the moment they are playing to basic game plans. It will take a while for that to start happening, if we keep moving people to center and switching positions then we will be in trouble. Smith knows best his leaving the team as is to try and start some combinations.

Whats Doing

Bench
Wes defensive reads last Friday night were poor and overall I didn't think he played that well.

Having said that, his previous couple of games were good so I would perservere with him as there are not too many other options as Doogs defensive reads are considerably worse.

sneaky_is_here

Juniors
Spitty said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but only 2 tries have been scored down out right side defence this season (Wes's side). Both on Friday night and one of them was a fluke.

Our left hand side (Mad Dog, Lulia and Vuna) on the other hand have conceded 4 tries. At least 1 per game and none of them flukes.

IF a change needed to be made Wes would be near the bottom of my list.

Very true, but it seems we rarly attack down that side of the field. Well at least not as much as Vuna's wing.

roopy

Referee
I'd love to see Steve Gordon get a run sometime. He has scored some very good tries from fullback so far this year, but he only became a fullback last year. He has played a lot of centre and wing. He is much bigger this year and is defending well and even looks faster as well.
The other two backs that i'm really impressed with are Matt Cooper and Dan Issac. Both big strong boys who dominate opposites.

orochimaru

Juniors
Wes isn't that bad of a defender, saw him rip down anthony watmough like he was nothing in the manly vs knights game, i loved it

Wes is a pure winger first and a makeshift centre second. He goes ok at centre but Lulia is very impressive and for mine our best centre so far this season. His pace is quite amazing. McManus is just too slow to be awinger given our pacier options. Aku should replace him.

keeney

First Grade
I'd love to see Steve Gordon get a run sometime. He has scored some very good tries from fullback so far this year, but he only became a fullback last year. He has played a lot of centre and wing. He is much bigger this year and is defending well and even looks faster as well.
The other two backs that i'm really impressed with are Matt Cooper and Dan Issac. Both big strong boys who dominate opposites.

Gordon did look bulked up in the photos from the trials, I'd be more than happy for him to get a run.