What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

QF 1 VS Parramatta

mxlegend99

Referee
Our back 3 are our strength, Staines bringing the ball back isn't nearly as hard to stop
Charlie hasn't lost a game he started as winger this season. 10 games on wing. For 10 wins.

When To'o was out we went undefeated until we dropped Staines to bring him back in. He and Crichton were fantastic together defensively.

We also had some fairly depleted squads in a few of those rounds. A couple through Origin. A few more early on before cleary was fit and when we had a couple injuries.

betcats

Referee
Turuva is great but he has 1 full NRL game under his belt we arent going to throw him in on the wing for a prelim when we have staines who has been in very good form lately in cup and was 18th man last week.

Iamback

Coach
Charlie hasn't lost a game he started as winger this season. 10 games on wing. For 10 wins.

When To'o was out we went undefeated until we dropped Staines to bring him back in. He and Crichton were fantastic together defensively.

We also had some fairly depleted squads in a few of those rounds. A couple through Origin. A few more early on before cleary was fit and when we had a couple injuries.

I get that, teams aren't going to give Cleary the time and space he had v Parra. Which will make kick returns more important

Turuva is 1st in Kick return metres. Dropped down a few in metres gained due to playing NRL

on that though ave 55mins a game, 111m a game.
Staines has 122 in 78 mins a game

Turuva 12 tackle breaks in the 3 matches

Staines has 23 for the year

So it is safe or powerful, great headache to have

Murraymob1

Juniors
Turuva is not better than Staines any stats used are based on reserve grade .not Hard to run up huge stats there.simple fact this is a huge game and Staines is the one more prepared to fill in for this game .Unless May is out long term he will get the spot back grand final

Crashtest

Juniors
I get that, teams aren't going to give Cleary the time and space he had v Parra. Which will make kick returns more important

Turuva is 1st in Kick return metres. Dropped down a few in metres gained due to playing NRL

on that though ave 55mins a game, 111m a game.
Staines has 122 in 78 mins a game

Turuva 12 tackle breaks in the 3 matches

Staines has 23 for the year

So it is safe or powerful, great headache to have

Has Staines played any left wing in NSW Cup, or only right wing like in first grade?

If not, I wonder if Ivan will play him at right wing and move To'o to left. Or keep Too and Crichton together who have started to form a good combination in attack, and play Staines on the left.

Smug Panther

First Grade
Has Staines played any left wing in NSW Cup, or only right wing like in first grade?

If not, I wonder if Ivan will play him at right wing and move To'o to left. Or keep Too and Crichton together who have started to form a good combination in attack, and play Staines on the left.
You'd have to be crazy to change things at this point. Hopefully Ivan learned that lesson with Naden/May

Crashtest

Juniors
You'd have to be crazy to change things at this point. Hopefully Ivan learned that lesson with Naden/May
So your saying play Staines on the left?

I get the not changing things. But a counter argument is that Crichton and Staines have played a number of games together on the right and defend well together. And Too we know plays better on left than he plays on the right, and started the first 2 games of this year on the left defending next to Tago. Staines hasn’t played next to Tago, nor played left wing

Original Name

Juniors

No at the start of 2021 To'o moved wings because Staines preferred the right wing when he plays wing. I presume it's his preferred foot to step off type of thing.

Sime_11

Juniors
Staines is the safe option and Ivan loves the safe option - put your mortgage on it.

Staines playing FB in NSW Cup gives him plenty of practice in catching bombs - which he will undoubtedly cop next game.

he's gonna put on the Panther jersey - he's one of us

trust the process :)

Fangs

Coach
So your saying play Staines on the left?

I get the not changing things. But a counter argument is that Crichton and Staines have played a number of games together on the right and defend well together. And Too we know plays better on left than he plays on the right, and started the first 2 games of this year on the left defending next to Tago. Staines hasn’t played next to Tago, nor played left wing

I thought about this yesterday and realised its a bit of an issue. Needs some thought.

Luckily I'm close with Ivan we chat regularly. Chances are he will play Crichton on right wing, To'o on the left and Salmon at centre. Then pick Staines on the bench for security. Can't be too careful in a finals match.

snickers007

Juniors
I thought about this yesterday and realised its a bit of an issue. Needs some thought.

Luckily I'm close with Ivan we chat regularly. Chances are he will play Crichton on right wing, To'o on the left and Salmon at centre. Then pick Staines on the bench for security. Can't be too careful in a finals match.

DO NOT EVEN JOKE ABOUT THIS!

Iamback

Coach

He hasn't played wing in NSW Cup

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Staines is the logical choice. We don't have to do anything risky or stupid. Charlie is not Taylan May but he wont let us down either.

I tend to agree. Staines isn't able to do the hit up work that May does, but he's better than what he was 12 months ago.

Which side to play him on. Is Staines able to play either wing position, or will To'o have to move to accomodate him.

My only other thought was Jennings. What's his work like in the backfield like ?

Real concern with Jennings, is he has a wider turning circle than the Queen Mary. Is he as goos as Staines under the high bal ?

Jennings would be the only choice in the centres, purely based on experience, should Ivan decide to shift Crichton to the wing.

Would be a major call to bring in either Jenkins or Turuva.