What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Qld Cup Brisbane Broncos

Big Pete

Referee
Round 2 Broncos Affiliate Results

Wynnum Manly Seagulls 84
(Loxley 4, Tongia 2, Granville 2, Grieve, Gubb, Te Reo, Fauid, Dalziel Don, Wallace tries; Te Reo 7, Fauid 4, Granville goals) def. Central Capras 6

North Devils 12
(Gibb, McPherson tries; Bailey 2 goals) drew Tweed Heads 12

Redcliffe Dolphins 32
(Whitchurch 2, Gagai 2, Bond, Butterfield tries; Georgetown 4 goals) def. Burleigh Bears 6

beads6

First Grade
Poor Central Capras... So guessing they don't affiliate with an NRL club either.

Big Pete

Referee
I'm not sure if they're still affiliated with us or not.

They certainly don't have any current Broncos in their side.

beads6

First Grade
They better start recruiting some players because getting spanked by that much isn't good for the QLD cup.

hellteam

First Grade
Not affiliated, the Central Comets basically went broke last year and lost all their players.

They've had to re-brand as the Central Capras and their team is pretty much made up of players from their local comps.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Dolphins played great. Gagai was good but thought Berryman deserved MOTM, that guy can really move! Ivan and Slyney were strong as well.

You would think that Gagai did enough to take the wing spot.

Big Pete

Referee
Agreed, I thought Berryman & Ivan were stand outs.

Didn't watch the game too closely so I can't really remember much of Slyney. Must have been doing a lot of work.

Capewell was Capewell. Lot of ordinary moments but a couple of redeeming plays made up for it.

Whitchurch was a little quiet but had a couple of nice moments.

I've had my say on Gagai.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Norths were super impressive on the weekend. All Broncos affiliated people played well. But here is a run down of the players, in a kind of order as I saw the game

Kurt Baptiste - one word, amazing. He looked dangerous with almost every touch of the ball. Broke the line with ease, hit his forwards straight on the chest close to the try line. His passing very very sharp, seemed to always make the right decisions. I know its like comparing apples and oranges, NRL and QLD cup, but I do hope that Baptiste gets a shot at NRL this year. I feel like he would be a much better back-up hooker than Hunt. I also feel he is better than McCullough in all areas except obviously Macca has a kicking game, and I didn't see Baptiste kick. But again, its hard to compare them when they're playing in different competitions.

Jarrod Wallace - really strong runs and got a try for his efforts. Also threw a couple of really top notch offloads. Was really impressed with this guy given how young he is in prop years.

Scott Anderson - looked a completely different player. Was bending back the line with almost all of his runs.

Brendon Gibb - Strong running and threw a couple of nice offloads.

Lachlan Maranta - the two tries that he scored were not this guys best plays of the afternoon. Broke the line a couple of times and generally looked dangerous.

Mitchell Frei - his running probably not quite as strong as Gibb but defended really well and cover defence was very good.

Dunamis Lui - probably not as involved as the others but managed a few strong runs.

AuDragon

Juniors
Maybe more than anything, this line tells the difference between NRL and Qcup:

"Scott Anderson - looked a completely different player. Was bending back the line with almost all of his runs."

I agree with Baptiste though. I hope we don't loose him, because he is an absolute gun!

Seagullsrock

Juniors
One would hope they would dominate in the forwards coming up against a pack which is made up of reserve grade players from other clubs and forwards who haven't had much QCup experience from the local competition. SC were also due for a loss after the big local clash last week. If Easts can get up for their game this week, then it will be a true indication of how Norths are going.

Big Pete

Referee
Norths were due a win too. Been unlucky on a few occasions against some of the heavyweights.

Sad I missed it, assumed it was some other game and stuck with the Raiders/Warriors. Kicked myself when I realised the mistake I made.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Maybe more than anything, this line tells the difference between NRL and Qcup:

"Scott Anderson - looked a completely different player. Was bending back the line with almost all of his runs."

I agree with Baptiste though. I hope we don't loose him, because he is an absolute gun!

Yeah I agree I answered my own question to some extent. Although having watched a bit of QLD cup I did not think that Anderson would be THAT dominant.

In some other threads we are talking about overrating/underrating players etc... I think I'm a a bit of a Baptiste-lover so I could be a bit biased but I feel like he could make a difference in NRL.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
One would hope they would dominate in the forwards coming up against a pack which is made up of reserve grade players from other clubs and forwards who haven't had much QCup experience from the local competition. SC were also due for a loss after the big local clash last week. If Easts can get up for their game this week, then it will be a true indication of how Norths are going.

That's not what the bookies thought....

Even the Norths bench forwards were running rings around SC. I think perhaps Norths deserve at least a little credit for their performance. At least their not laying down and dying like the Eels.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Oh in other news Redcliffe won 70-18 :S

Looking forward to that video...

The most surprising thing is that Gagai only got one of these tries! Thought with that scoreline he might have 5..

Seagullsrock

Juniors
Oh in other news Redcliffe won 70-18 :S

Looking forward to that video...

The most surprising thing is that Gagai only got one of these tries! Thought with that scoreline he might have 5..

The video is already on Youtube smartarse. In relation to the bookie comment, I thought the 2.70 was good too. As I commented on here, I saw Norths play the week before and they were ordinary. The SC had had 2 'big' games against Tweed and Redcliffe and were due to have an ordinary week.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
The video is already on Youtube smartarse. In relation to the bookie comment, I thought the 2.70 was good too. As I commented on here, I saw Norths play the week before and they were ordinary. The SC had had 2 'big' games against Tweed and Redcliffe and were due to have an ordinary week.

Hmm... a little uncalled for?

I was looking on the qrl site for the video, but thanks I will check out youtube.

Latest posts