What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

QLD side Game 2

ggmu

Juniors
In ok with them giving Slater or Inglis time without training but DCE should be training or not playing. Considering the excuse for him not playing well when he came on in game 1 was that he hadn't trained as a half all week.

davi

Juniors
Cherry Evans hasn't trained with the team today. Either Inglis to 5/8 or Hunt to half.

I'd prefer Hunt, and leave Inglis to do what he does best - break tackles.

Hunt is a good defender, and is a level head. His time has come.

http://www.nospam49.com/daly-cherry-evans-unlikely-to-play-in-state-of-origin-two-7530/

Agreed. Queensland need a proper half not someone posing as a half. They tried it a couple of years ago with Karmichael Hunt playing five-eighth with Darren Lockyer injured. And it didn't work- if anything Hunt spent the whole game playing like Trevor Gilmister lining up players in defense rather then doing his job.

My only concern is they should have gone with Ben Hunt sooner. He's been left up in the air with Daley Cherry-Evans injury and a week half training session preparing him as the half would of been better. Obviously Cherry-Evans is the first choice but him pulling out at the last moment on Tuesday is the worse case scenario.

Last edited:

Dazzat

First Grade
Wonder if Hunt has been running at halfback at training due to DDC sitting it out? Let's hope so.

insert.pause

First Grade
If dce has to be given until Tuesday he's not up to playing origin, especially with the series on the line. If he's cleared Tuesday you would think they would have to carry hunt on the bench as insurance as well, leaving us a forward down. The call on dce should have been made Friday at latest, the will he/won't he is not really ideal for hunts preparation.

Dazzat

First Grade
Considering DCE confirmed after Game One that he hadn't had one run at halfback in training leading up to that game, surely Meninga's mind is already made up.

Even if DCE could train tomorrow, that would leave just two days ... not enough for such a key position. Surely Hunt is the man, and Meninga has already decided.

Kiwi

First Grade
if DCE plays what's the bet it's off the bench. They would be stupid to play him starting at 7 having not trained with the squad. look what it did in game 1 when he came on at 7. The will he won't he will be to take the pressure off Hunt. Nsw will prepare for DCE to be there which will be great for Hunt and his running game.

Dazzat

First Grade
if DCE plays what's the bet it's off the bench. They would be stupid to play him starting at 7 having not trained with the squad. look what it did in game 1 when he came on at 7. The will he won't he will be to take the pressure off Hunt. Nsw will prepare for DCE to be there which will be great for Hunt and his running game.

With Taylor being touted as an inclusion, I think it's almost certain that Meninga will go with four forward on the bench - Lilyman, Taylor, Teo and either Guerra or McQueen.

In the last game DCE showed how ineffectual one can be if you don't train in a position and attempt to play in that position - particularly halfback.

Kiwi

First Grade
With Taylor being touted as an inclusion, I think it's almost certain that Meninga will go with four forward on the bench - Lilyman, Taylor, Teo and either Guerra or McQueen.

In the last game DCE showed how ineffectual one can be if you don't train in a position and attempt to play in that position - particularly halfback.

QLD would have been even more stuffed if DCE wasn't on the bench. Even though it's not ideal, it's still better than not having someone there. If NSW lost one of their halves like we did in game 1 they would have been even more f**ked than we were. Taylor would also be a straight swap for Papali with Thaiday being a straight swap for Parker. If lillyman comes into the team it should be at McQueens expense who has had a poor season and game 1 and should never have been picked.

Last edited:

Dazzat

First Grade
QLD would have been even more stuffed if DCE wasn't on the bench. Even though it's not ideal, it's still better than not having someone there. If NSW lost one of their halves like we did in game 1 they would have been even more f**ked than we were. Taylor would also be a straight swap for Papali with Thaiday being a straight swap for Parker. If lillyman comes into the team it should be at McQueens expense who has had a poor season and game 1 and should never have been picked.

I agree with you. I wouldn't pick McQueen, but Meninga will - no doubt. I'd have Milford on the bench, but I just can't see it happening unfortunately.

Attack is the best form of defence, but Meninga is conservative and loyal (and who could argue with his decisions over the years).

Pierced Soul

First Grade
wouldnt surprise me if DCE is out and they're just not confirming it till they have to. I can imagine if DCE is out they'll dress him up and get pics of him playing cricket and then at 7pm officially put hunt in at 7

Vic Mackey

Referee
It's been reported that the backrow will be:

11. Gillet
12. Thaiday
13. Guerra

Bench:

14. McQueen
15. Teo
16. Lillyman
17. Taylor

DCE & Hunt will be 7 or nothing. Mal wants 4 forwards on the bench

Maroon4life

Juniors
hunt is in better form than hodgkinson and reynolds so if dce is out its not catastrophic. thurston will still remain the utterly dominant half regardless of who partners him.

the blues halves pairing were irrelevant last game, hayne and to a lesser extent the morris twins beat us on their own. go with 4 forwards on the bench and provide room for jt, slater and inglis and we will wrap it up in game 3.

ggmu

Juniors
I'd be excited to see what Hunt can do next to someone like JT he has been in fantastic for with Hoffman playing "five eighth" so he can pick his spots more playing with JY.

Latest posts