What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

QLD Team 2017

isaiah

Bench
ahead of holmes? i don't think so mate. holmes is class. macdonald tearing it up for merge but everyone is at the moment.

the qld outside 5 is pretty much set you'd think: slater - gagai & chambers (r) - holmes & inglis (l)
boyd has one wing spot, either Holmes or gagai will be unlucky

davi

Juniors
Hunt belongs nowhere near the Origin team. His kicking game would destroy his team in the Origin arena.

Morgan however is a proven, big game class player. Put the Queensland jersey on his back and he smashes it.

Form is temporary.

Nope. I would pick Ben Hunt as starting halfback with either Michael Morgan or Cameron Munster coming going off the bench as utility. Hunt is really wasted coming off the bench as a utility and on form should be starting half-back.

It won't happen though with Queensland rewarding previous state of origin teams, but it might happen if Queensland lose game one.

davi

Juniors
Adam McDougal was on TV suggesting Kalyn ponga should be picked for Queensland. It really makes no sense to choose Ponga with too many talented players to choose from in the backs for Queensland and with no need to rush Ponga .

Yes Coen Hess was chosen last year, but I really think Queensland needed Hess with the lack options in the forwards being quite dire. It was a risk and it paid off, there is no need to take that risk with Ponga.

Amazes me this thread is still going. I mean it is titled "QLD Team 2017". Why all this talk about a team that is done and dusted. Now if it was ttled "QLD Team 2018"....... ;)

big hit!

Bench
Adam McDougal was on TV suggesting Kalyn ponga should be picked for Queensland. It really makes no sense to choose Ponga with too many talented players to choose from in the backs for Queensland and with no need to rush Ponga .

Yes Coen Hess was chosen last year, but I really think Queensland needed Hess with the lack options in the forwards being quite dire. It was a risk and it paid off, there is no need to take that risk with Ponga.

these guys don't seem to work out how these players will fit into the side. Likewise, Ruan Sims was talking both Ado Carr and Ferguson on 100% footy, when both have been right-side throughout their career. i'd say it's all about generating discussion rather than actually having the players in the side.

definitely pick Ponga at #18 for game 1 so he gets exposure to the camp and the workings of it all because he'll definitely be there in the future, but QLD have incumbent backs who still deserve selection for the opener.

FB: Slater
RW: Gagai
RC: Chambers
LC: Inglis
LW: Holmes (talk of Boyd, but unless injuries come into play, I think his rep career is done particularly with Holmes an established national rep)

Forwards were a different story for QLD last series with Myles, Thaiday, Lillyman, etc over the hill. They needed new players. Don't forget that Hess wasn't all that effective in his role too. He was exclusively a right forward interchange at NQ, and Walters played him in the middle forward rotation with Papalii and Glasby - the NSW unit featuring Jake Trbojevic and Klemmer convincingly won these battles, although QLD ultimately won the war, particularly with McGuire & Gillett (when he was moved into the middle) making all of Woods, Fifita & Jackson look pathetic.

Last edited:

SBD82

Coach
these guys don't seem to work out how these players will fit into the side. Likewise, Ruan Sims was talking both Ado Carr and Ferguson on 100% footy, when both have been right-side throughout their career. i'd say it's all about generating discussion rather than actually having the players in the side.

definitely pick Ponga at #18 for game 1 so he gets exposure to the camp and the workings of it all because he'll definitely be there in the future, but QLD have incumbent backs who still deserve selection for the opener.

LW: Holmes (talk of Boyd, but unless injuries come into play, I think his rep career is done particularly with Holmes an established national rep)

Forwards were a different story for QLD last series with Myles, Thaiday, Lillyman, etc over the hill. They needed new players. Don't forget that Hess wasn't all that effective in his role too. He was exclusively a right forward interchange at NQ, and Walters played him in the middle forward rotation with Papalii and Glasby - the NSW unit featuring Jake Trbojevic and Klemmer convincingly won these battles, although QLD ultimately won the war, particularly with McGuire & Gillett (when he was moved into the middle) making all of Woods, Fifita & Jackson look pathetic.
Doesn't addo Carr play left side?

isaiah

Bench

Agree with the incumbent backs thought but disagree with the jake t and klemmer nonsence

isaiah

Bench
I missed the commentary but did Andrew Johns say again last night that Oates must play origin?

No to Boyd. Still talented but playing far below his best. If Slater injured do not select Boyd(or Holmes) for Origin fullback. Inglis if Slater injured.

He's saying drop Holmes. Given Val's club form there's a mild justification. Neither Oates nor Val would let us down. I'd trust Oates more under the high ball.

big hit!

Bench
QLD are making a mistake if they don’t pick Oates. Massive meter maker and is finding some form of late.

he was last year too. Pearce kept kicking high to him in Game 1 last series and NSW nullified his return game - wore him out. Didn't have anything else. enter Holmes to LW in Game 2. scored a try. scored 3 more in game 3.

no point chopping and changing series to series when the incumbent is very much worthy of the job. that's something NSW would do. not much improvement with Oates there, if any. what Oates gives you in metres (if NSW allow him), Holmes gives you back in sheer speed. If NSW go derp and select Fergo as RW, then Holmes' speed will f**k him good again like last year.