What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

QRL plan to replace U20 NYC with Qld/NSW Cup

XXXX Cap

Juniors
Why should I give a rats about any NRL club ?

I grew up following my local club Wynnum Manly, still do after 50 years, many of them pretty lean. Just because someone invents a club called the Broncos in 1988, sticks it in the Sydney comp and has it dominate the Rugby League media doesn't mean I'm compelled to start following it.

Plenty of people here and elsewhere with great ideas on re-modelling the Queensland Cup haven't got a clue on the history of the clubs involved, what the competition is currently like or have even ever been to a game.

Spitty

Juniors
The Qld Cup model is the perfect model, it's obviously successful and obviously generates more money than the NSW Model. Whenever a NSW player falls out of favour with an NRL club if they don't go to England they end up in the Qld Cup. Most of them aren't even Queenslanders. And there in lies the problem with the NSW cup, it has some farmed out NRL talent, very few young up and coming players and the rest of the teams are filled with below par talent, the good talent all take off to Queensland because there's more money on offer.

Seagullsrock

Juniors
Well one of the traditions is 3 games on game day and that is a tradition that should return. I don't believe Billy Slater or Greg Inglis played when the NYC was formed but are you saying we have developed no potential stars from the NYC?

Josh Dugan, Lachlan Coote, Alex Glenn, Joel Thompson, Matt Duffie, Kevin Locke, Andrew McCullough, Jamal Idris, Nathan Gardner, Joseph Tomane, Kieran Foran, Russell Packer, Daniel Vidot, Daniel Mortimer, Sam McKendry, Kyle Stanley, Kane Linnett to name a few, a pretty good crop over two and a bit years.

If I go back to 2003 in the early years of Billy Slater and compare that to Coote and Dugan I would take the two from the NYC easily.

Fact is the QLD cup don't want to fall further down the rung but unfortunately it is a state competition getting in the way of a national one by getting in the way of a national reserve competition. The QLD Cup can still exist and will anyway if you would rather support your own QLD team over an NRL one good for you big whoop, plenty of country areas do the same even though their competitions are far inferior to the QLD Cup.

I think the funniest bit though is declaring anyone else "centric".

The NYC is just touch football. Scoring 30 points is considered a low score. Young players really learn what defence is about when they enter the NRL/Q Cup. Alot of them struggle because they have had no experience against older, developed, experienced players. How is the Qld Cup getting in the way of a national reserve comp? Why is that so necessary with the current system?

Seagullsrock

Juniors
The Qld Cup model is the perfect model, it's obviously successful and obviously generates more money than the NSW Model. Whenever a NSW player falls out of favour with an NRL club if they don't go to England they end up in the Qld Cup. Most of them aren't even Queenslanders. And there in lies the problem with the NSW cup, it has some farmed out NRL talent, very few young up and coming players and the rest of the teams are filled with below par talent, the good talent all take off to Queensland because there's more money on offer.

Perhaps to an extent. Some clubs though, particularly Souths and the SC with feeder arrangements, are relying heavily on their respective affiliates.

Bro Bear

Juniors
Each NRL club should have a feeder club relationship with a district/club in the NSW Cup and QLD Cup.

The NSW and QLD Cup teams are combined as a National Reserve grade competition and played before the NRL matches. Also, bring in PNG, WA/NT/VIC and SA as a entity.

Ther should be more emphasis on the NSW and QLD Cup than the glorified U20's Flegg.

Flegg should be ran like the U16's and U18's.

Seagullsrock

Juniors
Each NRL club should have a feeder club relationship with a district/club in the NSW Cup and QLD Cup.

The NSW and QLD Cup teams are combined as a National Reserve grade competition and played before the NRL matches. Also, bring in PNG, WA/NT/VIC and SA as a entity.

Ther should be more emphasis on the NSW and QLD Cup than the glorified U20's Flegg.

So Wynnum and Easts supporters are just expected to travel to Parramatta etc to watch them play are they and vice versa for Newtown fans? Stupid plan. Just throwing away the support the clubs already have and trying to manufacture support from the NRL fans. I don't see any Manly fans at Sunshine Coast games unless Manly happen to be playing up here. What's the benefit of it? Allowing NRL fans to watch another game if they want? There's barely any supporters that turn up early to watch the 20s, why would they turn up early to watch a reserve grade match when they don't know or care about any of the players.

Seagullsrock

Juniors

Most of the NSW Cup teams already have feeder relationships anyway. There aren't enough resources to have PNG, let alone WA/NT/SA. Victoria is Melbourne is it not?:roll:

XXXX Cap

Juniors
Allowing NRL fans to watch another game if they want? There's barely any supporters that turn up early to watch the 20s, why would they turn up early to watch a reserve grade match when they don't know or care about any of the players.

I remember going to Lang Park about 2004 when Wynnum was playing Toowoomba before a Broncos v Manly NRL match. The few Broncos supporters who bothered to turn up to see their feeder team's game had little interest and certainly no passion about the result.

They seemed stunned that the large group of Wynnum supporters there actually cared and were vocal about this non-NRL game. They were more stunned when most of us left after the Wynnum game and didn't bother waiting for the irrelevant NRL match !

nqcowboy87

Bench
I remember going to Lang Park about 2004 when Wynnum was playing Toowoomba before a Broncos v Manly NRL match. The few Broncos supporters who bothered to turn up to see their feeder team's game had little interest and certainly no passion about the result.

They seemed stunned that the large group of Wynnum supporters there actually cared and were vocal about this non-NRL game. They were more stunned when most of us left after the Wynnum game and didn't bother waiting for the irrelevant NRL match !

did you pay to get in, seems kinda a waste if you paid for a full nrl match then left without watching what you paid for

Noa

First Grade
The current structure is basically fine. Its how teams have been using NYC players that has been the problem, however that is changing, see the Storm as the perfect example of how to use the various levels.

Teams do not want to pay the costs of 60 players flying around the country and staying in hotels, that is why reserve grade as we knew it is dead (and is dying in most sports competitions around the world).

XXXX Cap

Juniors
I do lots on things on principal.

It was more than I only ever wanted to see the Wynnum game and had to pay the inflated cost to get in. Couldn't then buy a Queensland Cup programme from what I recall.

rwaite

Juniors
The current structure is basically fine. Its how teams have been using NYC players that has been the problem, however that is changing, see the Storm as the perfect example of how to use the various levels.

Teams do not want to pay the costs of 60 players flying around the country and staying in hotels, that is why reserve grade as we knew it is dead (and is dying in most sports competitions around the world).

Given that last point it makes you wonder why the NSW NRL clubs went the more expensive route of pushing for the national U-20 comp when all the NSW Cup teams in NSW are all along the coast between Newcastle and Woollongong. Downright stupid!

Hopefully common sense will prevail after the contract period for the Toyota Cup ends in a couple of years time and they give that comp the flick. U-20's comp should be a reserve grade for the Qld and NSW Cup comps.

If the NSWRL kills dual registration breaking the Souths/Canberra feeder association at the end of the year I will be mighty ticked off! Canberra isn't even NSW!

If they want to strengthen the NSW Cup then let that be the NRL reserve grade for NSW NRL clubs and then do everything they can to expand it to a proper statewide comp and bringing in a Western Division, Riverina and Northern Rivers team.

Auckland and Melbourne now are in the NSW Cup. Port Moresby Vipers used to be in the QLD Cup. Hopefully they will get in next year after missing out this year. WA Reds aren't doing too good in the SG Ball comp. Would be great to see them in the Qld Cup and perhaps some of the Pacific Islands like Tonga, Somoa and Fiji.

You could have one awesome second-tier competition if some of those teams were involved and you had a final series between the top 4 Qld and top 4 NSW Cups teams with the grand final as the main curtain-raiser for the NRL grand final.

You'd think the administrators would have seen the light and seen that was the way to go years ago. Hopefully the state comps will be the NRL reserve grade comp soon and there's a final series between the best from each comp.

siv

First Grade
NRL clubs and Qld/NSW Cup clubs shoulkd not be aligned as they are today

What we have today is NRL as First Division and Qld/NSW Cups as Second Division

So NRL needs its FG / RG / U20's

QLD Cup runs the same as it is now, but with Northern Territory clubs as well

NSW Cup needs a overhaul however and needs to be meregd with the Bundy Cup with NSW Country divisions added and Adelaide and Perth

The reason is because in NSW NRL clubs are in fact the same as the old Brisbane Clubs. So by killing the NSW Premier League (or RG) it killed this RG structure

But I would keep a the U19 / U17 / U15 structure across all Qld / NSW Cup and NRL clubs

nqcowboy87

Bench
Auckland and Melbourne now are in the NSW Cup. Port Moresby Vipers used to be in the QLD Cup. Hopefully they will get in next year after missing out this year. WA Reds aren't doing too good in the SG Ball comp. Would be great to see them in the Qld Cup and perhaps some of the Pacific Islands like Tonga, Somoa and Fiji.

yeh, no

Latest posts