What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Qualifying Final v Dragons @ Penrith

choc_soldier

Coach
Only 8 remain.

Thankfully the Panthers are one of them this year. Finals footy is a foreign enough feeling out at the foot of the mountains - the fact that we enter it as defending premiers makes it even more of a challenge.

A winning start to any finals campaign is a must, and having your first game at home is definitely an advantage, one that Penrith has.

Up against the mighty Panthers is the relatively inconsistent, but still dangerous St. George Illawarra Dragons.

This is by far the most salivating clash of the 4 games this weekend.

PANTHERS - A stellar performance against the Broncos, and have some good momentum going into the finals, winning the last 3. Could very well go into this game significantly weakened by injury though.

DRAGONS - Coming off the bye. Their last game involved one of the biggest comebacks in premiership history against Manly. Perhaps not the best momentum going into the finals, but being fresh could be an advantage.

The talk is all about the Roosters and Bulldogs, but it's the two finals dark horses up against each other out at the foot of the mountains this Friday night.

Whoever wins this encounter could go all the way.

I'm anticipating an awesome game, and awesome atmosphere. Both play similar attacking styles, but the Dragons have a far superior defence. Having said that, the Panthers have shown that in the big games, they can have the "gate" shut for the entire 80 minutes.

A loss will not mean elimination, and a win will probably not mean a week off either.

But as mentioned before, a winning start is as good a start as you can get.

Our recent home form has an almost invincible touch about it, and we are also due for a win against the Dragons, after two crushing wins over us so far this year.

This is one of the few times this year where I am not 100% confident of the result.

Either the Panthers will win a tight one, or the Dragons will have it won by half time.

My heart says the former, but my head needs just a little convincing.

Panthers by 6.

choc_soldier

Coach
US :D

1. Rhys Wesser
2. Amos Roberts
3. Ryan Girdler
4. Luke Lewis
5. Luke Rooney
6. Preston Campbell
7. Craig Gower (c)
8. Joel Clinton
9. Luke Priddis
10. Martin Lang
11. Joe Galuvao
12. Shane Rodney
13. Trent Waterhouse

Interchange:
14. Garret Crossman
15. Danny Galea
16. Richard Fa'aoso
17. Paul Whatuira

them :|

1. Hornby
2. Blacklock
3. Timmins
4. Cooper
5. Simmonds
6. Barrett
7. Head
8. Kite
9. Riddell
10. Ryles
11. Young
12. Thompson
13. Creagh

Interchange
14. Sims
15. Poore
16. Bailey
17. Withers
18. Carlaw (one to be omitted)

choc_soldier

Coach
No Puletua again, and also no Pritchard :(

But two very strong teams.

Got my ticket today. Each week, I can't wait for each weekend to come, but Friday really can't come quickly enough this week!

BRING IT ON! :)

choc_soldier

Coach
The Cougars and Panthers Flegg teams have also been named:

Jersey Flegg: Penrith Panthers V South Sydney Rabbitohs (Penrith Stadium, 2.40pm Friday)
1. Nathan Gilchrist, 2. Adrian Buxton, 3. Grant Purdon, 4. Scott Russell, 5. Matthew Forwood, 6. Michael Carl, 7. Ryan Rolfe (c), 8. Steve O'Beirne, 9. Paul Aiton, 10. Luke Harlen, 11. David Armitstead, 12. Greg Brain, 13. Michael Burke, 14. Andrew Pearn, 15. Junior Moors, 16. Todd Titmus, 17. Lawrence Enosi, 18. Geoff Daniela, 19. Jaye Marleitner

Premier League: St Marys-Penrith Cougars V Canberra Raiders (Telstra Stadium, 6.20pm Saturday)
1. Brett Howland, 2. Damien Blanch, 3. Trent Clayton, 4. Luke Dyer, 5. Luke Cross, 6. Peter Wallace, 7. Jono Rolfe, 8. Peter Lewis, 9. Shannon Donato, 10. Frank Puletua, 11. Matthew Pow, 12. Ben Pomeroy, 13. David McLean (c), 14. Jesse Royal, 15. John Nuumaalii, 16. Jason Wrigley, 17. Ben Rogers, 18. Daniel Russell, 19. Shaun Ata, 20. Tim Maccan

Tupac Shakur

First Grade
Savage Panther in your avatar are you saying Hunt is a traitor because he decided to play for QLD and Australia instead of New Zealand?

Kiwipanther

Juniors
Hunt is traitor scum alright :evil:

I think since hes aloud to play for Aussie, we should have Preston tis only fair :)

I'm not sure about this game, we don't have enough size in our pack or bench, to match it toe for toe with them in the forwards. Gonna have to play a speed game I recon. Big Joe is a 50% chance of playing too.

Sticks

Juniors
Best of luck to you Penny Panthers, as 'parra panther' said, it is indeed the most mouthwatering game of the first w'end.
I think both coaches have named teams those make-up will be somewhat different come Friday night both in personel and positioning.
I'm tipping a Dragon's win, but not with a huge deal of confidence.
Can anyone tell me if you can pick up Ticketek pre-booked tickets at the ground, and if so where?. I live out in the sticks and don't really fancy driving past Penny and into the city. I've tried calling them today to see what's what but it is continually engauged :( .

Cheers;

Sticks

*Sandy*

First Grade
You can pick them up from the Western Gate area at the ticket booth. Sorry I'm hopeless with street names all i know it is on the corner of Mulgoa and the paceway is on the otherside.

Caged Panther

First Grade
parra_panther said:
Ransley Street.

definetely ransley street just park across the road in panthers and walk down past the stench of the sewerage thingy that's there and you can't miss the western ticket booth.

Sticks

Juniors
PK said:
You can pick them up from the Western Gate area at the ticket booth. Sorry I'm hopeless with street names all i know it is on the corner of Mulgoa and the paceway is on the otherside.

Thanks for the tip fella's. Bring on Friday.

Sticks

Big Artie

Juniors
this will be a very close game, but the panthers will win even without a couple of the big boopers, Penrith, Dogs & Dragons r the only teams that can win the premiership trust me. go the boys :mrgreen: