What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Quantifying the 2005 Squad

True EEL

Bench
and now for something completely different.....well almost?????

i know people are sick of 2005 threads, but here is one with a bit of a difference, i wanted to attempt to (yes even at this early stage) quantify the 2005 playing squad or roster with all confirmed gains and losses for the coming season and...........

pick the top NRL and PL squads - based on availability, talent, experience, performances, what i think BS will probably do and a little bit of what i think will or might happen......and obviously a lot more player movement may still happen before the start of next year????

its a long post but just bear with me and have a look and tell me what you think?????

I must also point out that I have taken the liberty of making one very big assumption in terms of player gains (which i will make blatanetly obvious), which is not right, but as long as i make that clear everyone can have their own opinion??????

Parramatta EELS 2005

Gains

PJ Marsh* (Warriors), Glenn Morrison (Cowboys), Mark Riddell (Dragons), Chad Robinson (Roosters), Paul Stringer (Rabbitohs), Timana Tahu (Knights).

Losses

Chris Armit*, Nathan Armit*, (Bulldogs), Adam Dykes (Sharks), Wise Kativerata (Widnes), Jamie Lyon (Retired), Corey Pearson (Retired), Craig Stapleton (Tigers), Chris Thorman (Huddersfield), David Vaealiki (Wigan).

* = yet to be confirmed.

NRL Elite 25-man Roster (Alphabetical Order)

1 Jack Afamasaga
2 Luke Burt
3 Aaron Cannings
4 Nathan Cayless (c)
5 Ashley Graham
6 Eric Grothe
7 Nathan Hindmarsh
8 Lee Hopkins
9 Junior Langi
10 PJ Marsh*
11 Wade McKinnon
12 John Morris
13 Glenn Morrison
14 Chris Muckert
15 Luke O'Dwyer
16 Matt Peterson
17 Mark Riddell
18 Chard Robinson
19 Paul Stringer
20 Timana Tahu
21 Justin Tsoulos
22 Michael Vella
23 Daniel Wagon (vc)
24 Dean Widders
25 Michael Witt

NSW Premier League Roster (Alphabetical Order)

Brett Anderson, Josh Cordobra, Jim Curtis, Peter Ellis, Matt Gruska, Weller Hauraki, Nathan Macmillan, Feleti Mateo, Fuifui Moimoi, Steve Mowbray, Shane Muspratt, Jeramiah Pai, Adam Peek, Fred Peterson, Joel Reddy, Ben Smith, Tim Smith, James Webster.

NRL Top 17

1 Wade McKinnon
2 Matt Peterson
3 Timana Tahu
4 Luke Burt
5 Eric Grothe
6 John Morris
7 PJ Marsh*
13 Daniel Wagon
12 Glenn Morrison
11 Nathan Hindmarsh
10 Michael Vella
9 Mark Riddell
8 Nathan Cayless (c)

14 Lee Hopkins
15 Chad Robinson
16 Paul Stringer
17 Aaron Cannings
18 Dean Widders

PL Top 17

1 Joel Reddy
2 Junior Langi
3 Luke O'Dwyer
4 Ben Smith
5 Ash Graham
6 Michael Witt
7 Tim Smith
13 Feleti Mateo
12 Jack Afamasaga
11 Chris Muckert
10 Adam Peek
9 James Webster (c)
8 Justin Tsoulos

14 Shane Muspratt
15 Fuifui Moimoi
16 Josh Cordobra
17 Brett Anderson
18 Wella Hauraki

and remaining PL Roster players

and if PJ does not come back, well i put Witt in at half in first grade and the idea of Hopkins on the bench over Widders is for him to play hooker for Riddell and not move one of the halves mid-game - which should never happen...............

well, if you're still with me at all what do you think??????????????

fish eel

Immortal
Good job TE

I would have Dykes as a not confirmed loss, wouldn't be surprised if he is still here now.

True eel I think u have got it spot on. But I'd like to see the following names scrapped.

Hopkins
Muspratt
Burt
Graham
Langi- Borderline but He wont win us a comp.
Webster

If Smith is serious about a cleanout then these players must go too as they are no good.

True EEL

Bench
yeah your right fish eel, wish we could get some info on what actually is happening with Dykes, some clarity on the situation would be good, especially considering he may be fit to play after the bye.....against Cronulla????????

bartman

Immortal
True EEL said:
Losses

Chris Armit*, Nathan Armit*, (Bulldogs), Adam Dykes (Sharks), Wise Kativerata (Widnes), Jamie Lyon (Retired), Corey Pearson (Retired), Craig Stapleton (Tigers), Chris Thorman (Huddersfield), David Vaealiki (Wigan).
* Is Dykes release confirmed yet?
* Not sure if Peek will go around again, given our recruitment for next year.
* Wise K is not going to Widnes/England because of visa difficulties. He is now trying to pick up a contract in NRL for next year.
* Premier League roster may have a few more young guns on it. Not sure exactly which Flegg players will be over 20 next year?
* An injured PJ will not be our "saviour" half imo unfortunately

But other than that TE, looks sound.

fish eel

Immortal
I think it's a done deal with Dykes, Fish.

well, thats what I had thought, but still no announcement, yet we annouce Lyon before a deal is done?
That just got me thinking.....well mayeb dykes isn't a done deal, maybe the sharks wouldnt come to the party enough?

True EEL

Bench
Jake,

i know your not a Hopkins fan, but mate he ahs a good go every week and is a very handy utility player (hence why i put him on the bench) as he can play lock, second row, hooker and 5/8 and even centre if need be

i don't disagree with Muspratt,

Burt should still be given more chance (and is a BS favourite anyway),

Graham needs a lot of time in PL,

Webster is 50/50 (for PL only) and

Langi??? I'm the same as you, but he would be good to have around for depth if nothing else?????

True EEL

Bench
bartman said:
True EEL said:
Losses

* Is Dykes release confirmed yet?
* Not sure if Peek will go around again, given our recruitment for next year.
* Wise K is not going to Widnes/England because of visa difficulties. He is now trying to pick up a contract in NRL for next year.
* Premier League roster may have a few more young guns on it. Not sure exactly which Flegg players will be over 20 next year?
* An injured PJ will not be our "saviour" half imo unfortunately

But other than that TE, looks sound.

Dykes is not confirmed yet....that was an oversight......

I hope Peek retires, but again he seems to be a BS favourite??????

Wise K may still be going over there at the end of the year (pending his visa) as he was going immediately but problems with the Visa and even if he stays he won't get a contract with us????

PL roster certainly may have some younger up and comers on it and as i said there could be a lot more changes still to some

and if we get PJ and he is fit, i would be willing to gamble on him????

Truey mate,
Hopkins
The question you have to ask youself is Will Hopkins win us a comp?? Im not talking about if the player has heart or not Im talking about talent, I think he is good for a team in our current position but he would not make it into any of the top 6 teams.

Burt,

He made is debut in 99 how much more softness do we have to put up with. He is just fast and thats all.

Graham,

I had hope for him when he came on to the scene but this year he has been pathetic. Defence is non exisitant and he cant seem to run anymore.

Webster
He is just taking a young guys spot in Pl get rid of him

Langi

50/50

We need to get rid of the crap in our team guys. Having heart and turning up to training early and being Bum chums with Smith does not cut it with me, You at least need to have some talent.

bradeel

Juniors
i think the issue with Hopkins is that he might be playing in France next year. Has there been any updates on this at all?

otherwise, great work True Eel. I totally understand you trying to look towards next season rather than dwelling on this one.

True EEL

Bench
Jake,

fair enough on the others (although poor Burty still has something to offer if he can learn how to tackle), but on the contrary Hopkins may be just the sort of player to win us a comp......under the right circumstances?????

Hopkins is the bist and pieces player, the hardworker which every teams needs to keep things together......not every player has to be a chapion to win a comp, the old saying is "you need a chapion team, not a team of champions" and i believe that, and i will be a bit pissed off if they just brush him to France, but good luck to him if he does go......and at the moment unless we buy one, we don't have a backup hooker to cover Riddell (unless Morris gets brushed to the bench) and ill be damned if i have to sit and watch BS rotate one or both of our halves into hooker all next year......that WILL kill us!!!!!!! like it has at times this year (ie. Dykes)

bradeel,

thanks for the comment mate, thats exactly what i am trying to do, even though i am one of the biggest anti-Smith advocates, we have to be positive at some point and with those sides we certainly have a bit of depth and even quality

and no, i have no confirmation on Hopkin's situation either????

bartman

Immortal
Hey TE, do we even know for sure that Premier League is a goer for next year?

It's usually about this time of year there's stories about the league trying to do away with lower grades etc... :roll:

True EEL

Bench
bartman,

i assume it will be, although it should just be reverted back to be called Reserve grade or second grade, much simpler and makes more sense that way????

but who knows, perhaps they will just scrap it, but can't really see that happening???

yy_cheng

Coach
LOL, 7 wingers in the starting 17 !!!

2 Matt Peterson
3 Timana Tahu
4 Luke Burt
5 Eric Grothe

John Morris, Vella and I think Wagon use to play Wing

If it wasn't for Burt's goal kicking, I wouldn't have him there. Ben Smith would be a better option. Does morris kick goals??? He kicks off now and again.

Eels Supporter

Juniors
Graham,

I had hope for him when he came on to the scene but this year he has been pathetic. Defence is non exisitant and he cant seem to run anymore.

Well guys, here I go again, defending Graham. Many of you have been ripping it into him recently but I have some info - not a rumour. I have been told by a couple of people who know the kid very well that he has stress fractures in his left foot, and has had these since his second game back. He had an MRI after the Melbourne game and has now been told to rest. Might explain why he can't run.

bradeel

Juniors
i am sorry to hear the news about Graham on a personal note for him, because it must be frustrating to come back from a bad injury, never really find your feet, and then get setbacks like this one.

On the other hand i am pleased that this might offer some logic behind his terrible form of 2004. At least if we know that a prolonged injury was the major reason behind his game being so off, then its fair to say that he might still come back and be a force if he can get injury free next season. For mine he has been one of the most bitter disapointments of 2004.

bartman

Immortal
Graham was very clearly playing injured all this time, and that is why he has not been playing like he did last year, and he's been restricted to the wing.

But why did the club persist in playing an injured player who is below his best? I know we're a bit short in the backs, but Anderson, Kativerata, Gruska could've all had a(nother) go to let Ash recover.

AlexTheEel

Juniors
I haven't been on this forum much lately but did I miss something? I haven't heard anything about us getting PJ Marsh before. Is this pure speculation or is it warranted?