What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Queensland Maroons 2019

Big Pete

Referee
Game 1 2019
1. Kalyn Ponga (Newcastle Knights)
2. Corey Oates (Brisbane Broncos)
3. Michael Morgan (North Queensland Cowboys)
4. Will Chambers (Melbourne Storm)
5. Dane Gagai (South Sydney Rabbitohs)
6. Cameron Munster (Melbourne Storm)
7. Daly Cherry-Evans (Manly Sea Eagles)
8. Jai Arrow (Gold Coast Titans)
9. Ben Hunt (St George Illawarra Dragons)
10. Josh Papalii (Canberra Raiders)
11. Felise Kaufusi (Melbourne Storm)
12. Matt Gillett (Brisbane Broncos)
13. Josh McGuire (North Queensland Cowboys)

14. Moses Mbye (Wests Tigers)
15. Joe Ofahengaue (Brisbane Broncos)
16. Dylan Napa (Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs)
17. David Fifita (Brisbane Broncos)

Coach: Kevin Walters

Extended Squad
18. Tim Glasby
19. Anthony Milford
20. Kurt Capewell
21. TBC

big hit!

Bench
Only way this team makes sense is if C Smith is a late inclusion.

I got to say, I've seen Cam Smith get run over a bit this season by some young middles. No doubt though, a leader and winner like him in the squad with guys like Munster, Ponga, and Morgan running around makes them a hot favourite. I just don't know if it compliments DCE. DCE is used to running the show at club land and we've seen that having someone like Smith over the top of him in Origin didn't work

Big Pete

Referee
1-13 was as expected. Before the season started, Chambers would had to have been considered a long shot of retaining his spot but after the retirement of GI, the Maroons were left with little option. I don't think it bodes well for the Maroons, but beggers can't be choosers.

The bench is interesting. Mbye is the biggest head-scratcher considering how inconsistent he's been this year for the Tigers. I just imagine the Maroons were desperate for a utility and Mbye has been a part of the set-up for so long, they figured it was now or never for him. Personally, I would have gone with Granville 9, Hunt 14 but even that's far from ideal. I've also seen Milford touted as a possible utility but for mine he's a 6 or not in the side.

After the injury to Welch, Ofahengaue was the next cab off the rank. I think it's a good reward for Big Joe O who was on the outer at Brisbane in 2017 but got his career back on track and found himself with a Queensland jersey. I read a lot into his Player's Player award at the Broncos Presentations last year and thought it was a real testament to the quality of football he was playing. His early exit in the 2018 finals was a sure sign the Broncos were in for a long afternoon.

It feels like David Fifita has been lost in all the hype surrounding Payne Haas, but I can't get over how well he's playing for somebody his age. He's fallen victim to playing behind two edge forwards who are highly regarded at the club, but there's been a few moments through out the season to show he can handle himself at the highest levels. His 20 minute stint against the Roosters in particular had to come under serious consideration and I thought that performance sealed his spot. It's a fairly incredible feat to play Under 18s Origin one year than the real thing the next. Fifita is going to have a long career at Origin and it's going to be fun watching him go up against Haas.

While all the surprises and noteworthiness is on the bench, make no mistake about it, the spine will hold the key for the Maroons. Ponga, Munster, Cherry-Evans and Hunt, the Maroons have had better but there's plenty of talent among that lot.

Big Pete

Referee
Granville shouldn’t be anywhere near an origin side mate.

The problem is, neither should Hunt or Mbye.

I'd rather play a proper dummy half than play those two and hope. Hunt isn't too bad off the bench, but for those opening 20 minutes, I'd rather give Jake that allotted time than any other dummy half.

QLD must be desperate if they're selecting Tonga's 5th or 6th best forward in Ofahengaue.

Talk about scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Blues by 24.

big hit!

Bench
Granville shouldn’t be anywhere near an origin side mate.

in QLD's case, you aren't selected for origin because you're 'origin standard'. you selected because you're all they've got. it's been proven many times that heart and effort have won origin games and series for QLD.

turning a bloke who lives on the edges into an acting half is a big risk for mine. i don't doubt hunt's ability in attack, but he's in for hell of a time in defence. i expect klemmer, vaughan, and jtrob/murray to have a fruitful first 20 mins

Big Pete

Referee
On NRL 360 they mentioned murmers that Josh McGuire could still fill in for the opening 20 and Moses Mbye would play the loose forward role that Shaun Berrigan, Cooper Cronk, DCE and Morgan played.

So the line-up would look like

16. Dylan Napa
13. Josh McGuire
10. Josh Papalii
11. Felise Kaufusi
12. Matt Gillett
8. Jai Arrow

9. Ben Hunt
14. Moses Mbye
15. Joe Ofahengaue
17. David Fifita

big hit!

Bench
On NRL 360 they mentioned murmers that Josh McGuire could still fill in for the opening 20 and Moses Mbye would play the loose forward role that Shaun Berrigan, Cooper Cronk, DCE and Morgan played.

So the line-up would look like

16. Dylan Napa
13. Josh McGuire
10. Josh Papalii
11. Felise Kaufusi
12. Matt Gillett
8. Jai Arrow

9. Ben Hunt
14. Moses Mbye
15. Joe Ofahengaue
17. David Fifita

makes more sense for mine

gUt

Coach
Happy enough with Hunt at 9 in lieu of a better option (maybe Morgan?)

Anyway I would have Lee on the wing, Morgan at 14 and Mbye out of the squad.

Latest posts