What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Queensland Maroons 2023

Api takes on Tino front on. Tino holding ball clutched against chest with right arm. Without extending his arm holding the ball Tino braces for contact with Api as Api comes in for the tackle. Tino's forearm is still clutching the ball against his chest. In the tackle the players collide. Api gets an incidental contact with Tino's arm.

Tino didn't strike with that arm. It was holding the ball against his chest. The players collided whilst attempting to tackle Tino. Tino just ran the ball. Because he doesn't strike Api in that contact( contact is not a strike, it is the game), it might not be as bad as first thought.

gUt

Coach
^ This is how I saw it as well but the pressure will be on the judiciary, especially given the Mahoney thing a couple of weeks ago, so we'll see.

Forward depth:

Horsburgh
Welch
Fotuaika
Capewell
Nanai
Hopgood
Luki

plus the others I'm forgetting. Not bad.

Big Pete

Referee
According to the Courier Mail, Selwyn Cobbo has been ruled OUT with a hip injury. He'll be replaced by Xavier Coates.

Jeremiah Nanai & Moeaki Fotuaika are expected to come into the 17, with AJ Brimson relieving Tom Dearden of his 18th man duties.

Hopefully AJ can do a good impression of a NSW halfback, it seemed like Tommy did an even better job of being Cleary than Cleary did on the night.

Source

ALX25

Bench
Queensland Maroons Game II Squad
1. Reece Walsh Brisbane Broncos
2. Xavier Coates Melbourne Storm
3. Valentine Holmes North Queensland Cowboys
4. Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow The Dolphins
5. Murray Taulagi North Queensland Cowboys
6. Cameron Munster Melbourne Storm
7. Daly Cherry-Evans (C) Manly Warringah Sea Eagles
8. Lindsay Collins Sydney Roosters
9. Ben Hunt St George Illawarra Dragons
10. Tino Fa’asuamaleaui Gold Coast Titans
11. David Fifita Gold Coast Titans
12. Jeremiah Nanai North Queensland Cowboys
13. Patrick Carrigan Brisbane Broncos
14. Harry Grant Melbourne Storm
15. Thomas Flegler Brisbane Broncos
16. Reuben Cotter North Queensland Cowboys
17. Moeaki Fotuaika Gold Coast Titans
18. AJ Brimson Gold Coast Titans
19. Corey Horsburgh Canberra Raiders

See: https://www.qrl.com.au/news/2023/06/12/queensland-maroons-game-ii-team-confirmed/

some11

Referee
Horsburgh robbed. If he played for another team he’d be in.
I don't think Slater has any club biases.

I don't get the Nanai selection over Kaufusi but he obviously rates kids with an x factor in them.

Horsburgh robbed. If he played for another team he’d be in.
If he played for another team, you wouldn't be bleating. The Maroons are bigger than personality selection. All selections are made as the best balance for the overall team. Not everyone will agree with them but the selectors and Slater have to either get it as right as they can or risk being responsible for a defeat. Since they are carrying that responsibility, we need to allow their choice to be put to the test.

If QLD win next week, all QLD fans will hail the selections as genius, and not a word of Horsburgh criticism will carry any validity. Let's see what unfolds.

Last edited:

gUt

Coach
I don't get how on form Flegler gets selected in front of Horsburgh? Big Red's time is coming and he'll be in the side for years.

Big Pete

Referee
Once Flegler was picked in Game I and the Maroons got the result, it was always going to be difficult to justify dropping him. He's so close to putting it altogether Tom, I think once he goes to the Dolphins you'll see him find another gear and he's going to be tough to stop. Queensland appear to be getting in early like they did with Mat Scott and Benny Hannant.

Some interesting selections ahead of Game II. Nanai certainly looked better coming off suspension, but it was one game and his team was putting in the best 80 minutes of their season. Hopefully he takes the opportunity with both hands, it's going to be a tough assignment marking Latrell's edge.

I'm happy to see Fotuaika back into the squad. One of the few players who could hold their heads up in 2021 and he's playing as well as he ever has for the Titans.

Billy has been saying all the right things so far and this is a golden opportunity to wrap the series up. The Blues have been in this position and have blown Queensland off the park in Game II, so hopefully Billy learned from last year and can put it to bed here.

Howwy

Juniors
Billy has been saying all the right things so far and this is a golden opportunity to wrap the series up. The Blues have been in this position and have blown Queensland off the park in Game II, so hopefully Billy learned from last year and can put it to bed here.

QLD's assignment now is not to get cheeky and
(a) Remember the crowd doesn't play for you, and
(b) Don't forget the ball, field and tryline don't know who you are, what jersey you're in etc. and care even less.

NSW have to hark back to Joey and Freddy to muster up any sense of enduring Origin legacy. The sea of players NSW selected over the next decade after them didn't produce any host of enduring Origin series winners. Plenty of flash in the pan performances and then gone. All countered by moronically sticking with documented proven Origin series losers, for-ever it seemed. This all comes back now where the playing groups from immediately prior to ths era for the Blues couldn't convert strategy into results. In the Origin camp, you can bring a Paul Gallen in to pump up the atmosphere but hot air rewarded Gallen with the worst losing record of any person to play at Origin level. Why would any Blues player listen to any of the ranting of the most toothless Origin tiger? This will be the fossil loser army.

Walk over to the QLD sheds. The backbone and brains of arguably the best minds to ever have won at Origin level don't want to stop at resting on their laurels. There is only the objective. QLD will not leave anything out when seizing the moment.

Last edited: